Ultimate Accuracy or Ultra Velocity?

G7 is a more accurate measurement of BC than G1. According to Bryan Litz.

Reactions: TRICER
But it’s killed deer over 700 yards away with ease.
Wow. This is one of my new goals. To start practicing to learn how to make longer shots.

Anybody on here know the nearest legal place to go to is from North OC where you can practice at long ranges like that?

I figure you guys that can pull off these kinda shots readily, probably have a much higher probability of getting your deer a lot damn sooner in the season (if they cooperate) since it no doubt opens up much more shot opportunities and terrain types.

Wow. This is one of my new goals. To start practicing to learn how to make longer shots.

Anybody on here know the nearest legal place to go to is from North OC where you can practice at long ranges like that?

I figure you guys that can pull off these kinda shots readily, probably have a much higher probability of getting your deer a lot damn sooner in the season (if they cooperate) since it no doubt opens up much more shot opportunities and terrain types.

I have range in Taft. You’re welcome to shoot there. Pm if you ever want to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheGDog
Question ??
You guys are pushing accuracy.
So what kind of groups are sufficient to meet your expectations of accuracy?

1/2 MOA that’s my disconnect with the accuracy over velocity thing. With a custom hunting rifle 1/2MOA with velocity is achievable and 1/2 MOA kills game all day. I am not going to give up 100fps so I can get down to a 1/4.

Reactions: Muley Buck
1/2 MOA that’s my disconnect with the accuracy over velocity thing. With a custom hunting rifle 1/2MOA with velocity is achievable and 1/2 MOA kills game all day. I am not going to give up 100fps so I can get down to a 1/4.

No Need to build a custom gun then. Might as well just stick with a factory Tikka...

All of my factory Sakos shoot 1/2" with hunting bullets. And that is with Barnes TTSX!

I will give up 100 FPS for more accuracy any day!

Just saying.

Reactions: stikbrandon
100 more FPS in 6.5 CM only got me an extra 40 yards to be in my “killing range” as far as velocity and energy goes

Reactions: NBK
flat shooting is a myth........kinda

once you are talking mid to long range with out spot on ranging and exact dope on your rifle you will miss. So the question is for what part of shooting do you need a fast round?

My second fav coyote gun is a 204r. its the definition of flat shooting laser beam but only out to 300 yards. For that application it worked rad but when most people say i like a flat shooting round are they talking about 300? The flat shooting 270 was called that long before sleek high bc bullets came into being. Was it any more accurate at lets say 450 yards then the 30-06? If you look at the charts the 270 and the 06 stay pretty close out to 300. By the time you get to 400 you better have range and dope ready or you are going to miss.

my 6.5saum was as flat a shooting gun made. With the long tube on her she was pushing 140gr burgers at 3400+ fps. It was a iron shooting monster and would have been a epic 1000k yard deer gun. even with all that speed, speed that makes the 6.5 man bun look like its in slow mo i had to have the right dope and range or i would miss. Just slight errors at 500 yards would cause a miss ( yes i have missed the 2moa gong at taft ) That gun is now re-chambered in 7mm saum MUCH slower pushing a 184gr bullet. its gone from a accurate gun to a Very accurate gun.

I will take the gun that shoots bug holes all day long over speed. Lasers and modern optics make long shots possible from a math stand point. You still need to send the bullet the right direction down range to score a hit.

this is 19 of 20 in a 1moa circle with 8 of 20 in a 1/2moa circle at 1k yards. A 1 moa gun can never do this in competition.

Screenshot_20200314-131632_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: longbowhunter2
i swear that thing looks like a postage stamp. its exactly the same size moa at each range but ill be honest that thing freaks me out every time

i swear that thing looks like a postage stamp. its exactly the same size moa at each range but ill be honest that thing freaks me out every time

Dude the milk jug gong at 1200 is unbelievable small

Reactions: Aeon
flat shooting is a myth........kinda

once you are talking mid to long range with out spot on ranging and exact dope on your rifle you will miss. So the question is for what part of shooting do you need a fast round?

My second fav coyote gun is a 204r. its the definition of flat shooting laser beam but only out to 300 yards. For that application it worked rad but when most people say i like a flat shooting round are they talking about 300? The flat shooting 270 was called that long before sleek high bc bullets came into being. Was it any more accurate at lets say 450 yards then the 30-06? If you look at the charts the 270 and the 06 stay pretty close out to 300. By the time you get to 400 you better have range and dope ready or you are going to miss.

my 6.5saum was as flat a shooting gun made. With the long tube on her she was pushing 140gr burgers at 3400+ fps. It was a iron shooting monster and would have been a epic 1000k yard deer gun. even with all that speed, speed that makes the 6.5 man bun look like its in slow mo i had to have the right dope and range or i would miss. Just slight errors at 500 yards would cause a miss ( yes i have missed the 2moa gong at taft ) That gun is now re-chambered in 7mm saum MUCH slower pushing a 184gr bullet. its gone from a accurate gun to a Very accurate gun.

I will take the gun that shoots bug holes all day long over speed. Lasers and modern optics make long shots possible from a math stand point. You still need to send the bullet the right direction down range to score a hit.

this is 19 of 20 in a 1moa circle with 8 of 20 in a 1/2moa circle at 1k yards. A 1 moa gun can never do this in competition.

View attachment 43683
holy jesus this as good as some do at 100 yards, but don't let this go to your head :) Bill
honestly that's some good shooting, very impressive.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu