Upcoming rattlesnake avoidance clinics?

Rocked and Loaded

Mar 29, 2021
With September coming up fast, I’m hoping I can find out what clinics will be available in august.

Buck went to the one in lakeside early in spring (please do more there! ;) ) but it was recommended to me that hunting dogs get it twice a year, including right before the season opens.

I just did a refresher for my dog. Was happy to find out she still remembered the scent and reacted appropriately. I was told that once a year was the recommendation I believe but more couldn't hurt.

I did my training through High on Kennels and highly recommend them. Here is a link to their schedule but maybe you could call to get more info of upcoming dates..

The schedule shown above is for one of the host organizations I work with. For the full schedule visit my website (High On Kennels) to see the entire season. At this point I have just about finished up everything I had scheduled but am still available at my ranch in Santa Ysabel to do private trainings. I can also travel but that is done on a case by case basis with a quote depending on where you are located.

The schedule shown above is for one of the host organizations I work with. For the full schedule visit my website (High On Kennels) to see the entire season. At this point I have just about finished up everything I had scheduled but am still available at my ranch in Santa Ysabel to do private trainings. I can also travel but that is done on a case by case basis with a quote depending on where you are located.
I think we did the one with you in April. Do you still recommend another session before the hunting season?

If I could get into the clinic in alpine this weekend (a long shot probably) would that be good for the fall?

Last edited:
I think we did the one with you in April. Do you still recommend another session before the hunting season?

If I could get into the clinic in alpine this weekend (a long shot probably) would that be good for the fall?
If your dog has only been trained once I would say another sesion before hunting season is agood idea to make sure they know it. The clinic in Alpine is full so the best I can offer is you coming to my ranch. Just get in touch if you want to set up an appointment.

If your dog has only been trained once I would say another sesion before hunting season is agood idea to make sure they know it. The clinic in Alpine is full so the best I can offer is you coming to my ranch. Just get in touch if you want to set up an appointment.
I actually managed to get a slot on Saturday so I’ll be seeing you there.

I have to be better about checking on these earlier because this time and the last I only made it it because I was lucky.

Reactions: duck-boy
I just did a refresher for my dog. Was happy to find out she still remembered the scent and reacted appropriately. I was told that once a year was the recommendation I believe but more couldn't hurt.

I did my training through High on Kennels and highly recommend them. Here is a link to their schedule but maybe you could call to get more info of upcoming dates..

Snake charmer did Buck’s training in April and had suggested once a year for, I think, five years for non hunting dogs or as a minimum for hunting dogs.

He also suggested twice a year for the dog’s lifetime (spring and right before the opener) if he hunts which seems reasonable to me. Cheaper than treatment for a bite and we have so many snakes out here and Buck, while fairly smart, has a really strong prey drive.

The Eagle Scout in me leans towards overkill when it comes to being prepared and I’m still pretty new to having a dog.

Reactions: duck-boy
Snake charmer did Buck’s training in April and had suggested once a year for, I think, five years for non hunting dogs or as a minimum for hunting dogs.

He also suggested twice a year for the dog’s lifetime (spring and right before the opener) if he hunts which seems reasonable to me. Cheaper than treatment for a bite and we have so many snakes out here and Buck, while fairly smart, has a really strong prey drive.

The Eagle Scout in me leans towards overkill when it comes to being prepared and I’m still pretty new to having a dog.
Please introduce yourself when you are there. The other things I can recommend is the pre-bite vaccine and to also carry gel cap Benadryl in your pack. One milligram per pound of weight of the dog if bitten it will help with swelling and inflamation. Also helpful for humans if you get bit.

I must be mistaken then, apologies.

He did my dog last Sunday also. Great guy and he is the one that knows this stuff. He has done all my snake avoidance training actually.
Definitely cheap insurance for our dogs when in the field.

Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
Please introduce yourself when you are there. The other things I can recommend is the pre-bite vaccine and to also carry gel cap Benadryl in your pack. One milligram per pound of weight of the dog if bitten it will help with swelling and inflamation. Also helpful for humans if you get bit.
That’s a good tip. I’ll definitely say hi on Saturday.

Thanks for the advice on Saturday and I’m glad Buck remembered his training from April so well.

One of the guys over on Desert Valley Outdoors ask about getting his dog trained I posted a link for High On Kennels for him to check out. Hope you don't mind.

Reactions: NBK
Thanks for posting the link to the High on Kennels signup. Will be taking Mina to the Calabasas one on the 28th. See how she does as I've done some impromptu training with her when I've come across a dead one and live one.

Thanks for posting the link to the High on Kennels signup. Will be taking Mina to the Calabasas one on the 28th. See how she does as I've done some impromptu training with her when I've come across a dead one and live one.
I don't endorse using dead snakes for training, if they have had their head chopped off you now have the added scent of blood which can be attractive to dogs and is not an accurate scent portrayal. If it is dead and you found it who knows how long it has been dead and what state of decay it is in. The training should be as close as safely possible as to what a dog would encounter in the wild. Steve if you are located in the San Diego area I will be doing some training at my ranch in Santa Ysabel on September 11th. If you are interested p.m. me and we'll set up an appointment.

Reactions: MJB
I don't endorse using dead snakes for training, if they have had their head chopped off you now have the added scent of blood which can be attractive to dogs and is not an accurate scent portrayal. If it is dead and you found it who knows how long it has been dead and what state of decay it is in. The training should be as close as safely possible as to what a dog would encounter in the wild. Steve if you are located in the San Diego area I will be doing some training at my ranch in Santa Ysabel on September 11th. If you are interested p.m. me and we'll set up an appointment.
It wasn't a situation where I actively sought it out for training. It happened to be killed in a trail on the way down and used the opportunity to give her a shock when she put her face to it. The other times were live snakes which I've just been telling her to avoid obviously.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu