Utah Archery Deer Hunt is On

Strong work Jim. That's a great start. And congratulations with breaking in your new bow!

Well we are back from Utah and had a great time with all of the hunting group. Jim, Mike, Justin and Ron were able to take bucks in the group. I had an opportunity on opening day to take a small fork horn and passed, thinking back on it maybe I should have taken the small buck. I did get a shot at a huge wall hanger, all I saw was horns and I had to look away and focus on his body so I wouldn't get the fever. I was able to range him at 50.5 yards and I took a sitting shot and all I can think is that I shot high because I was sitting. I was just shooting at camp 50 yards and I was on. I watched the arrow fly right at him, he bucked and he was off. I thought for sure I got him. After retrieving the arrow from the brush behind found a dry arrow. How you can go from such a high to such a low. I worked harder on this hunt from years past and I think that is why I did have opportunities, and I am thankful. Mike did place us on deer again and I could not get it done. Thank you Mike and the group, Bill, Terry, Kenny, Justin, Brandon, Brice, Ron, Chuck, Damon and his kids, Jim and Toshla and Matt. If I missed you I am sorry. Hope to see you all next year in Utah.

Respectfully,
Larry Cochran

Sounds like you did everything right. It's hunting right? Learn from your experience and get better. I learn something every time I step into the field. You guys had tough weather and still managed some action.

Thanks for the quick synopsis.

John

Hey Guys, We leave for Utah in just 50 weeks from now. Are you ready ? ;D

Man none of the other hunters are gonna post up pics or story's ?
Any hunt story's or how it went down.... Been waiting a long time for this.

I know everyone is still unpacking, cleaning up, butchering meat, and catching up at work. But here is my official post.
Utah……………………………………. My happy place! I’ve been Bowhunting in Utah for 9 years, but this year I took a chance and went to a new spot with Mike’s group from Southern California Hunting. Mike was nice enough to invite me and my wife into his deer camp for the week. With only meeting online he too took a chance that I wasn’t a total A-hole to have in camp. (and I hope I wasn’t) I usually eat soup out of a can for a week when hunting, but not this time. Mike is an awesome cook and we ate like kings every night. The young buck back straps were the best I’ve ever had. Our group had a wide range of hunters from the first timers to the well seasoned killers. Mike put everyone on deer and gave up his own stand on many occasions. A very selfless hunter that you just don’t see any more. We had a great time!
It was hot and dry so the hunt started out a little slow but we had a few bucks hanging in camp by Monday. I had my heart set on this tall buck when I passed on a small framed 3x3 on camera, but came home with a 2x2 not on film. He came in and bedded down at just 15 yards but I had no shot with some sticks in the way. I was rolling tape the whole time with my new GoPro camera but the F-ing battery died and turned off. I tried to get it back on and the buck looked right at me. I froze and he went back to chewing his cud after a long stare. When a doe walked up he stood up and took a few steps. He was quartering away and looking down hill when I drew back my bow and let him have it at just 17 yards from the stand. The Rage went through the lungs and hit the opposite shoulder and stopped but the damage was done. He went about 100 yards with the Lumenok shinning bright as he ran through the dark timber. I got down an hour later to look for him. When I couldn’t find him easily with the shine of the Lumenok I thought he must have really gone far so I backed out and came back in the morning with help. He had broken the arrow and the Lumenok had turned off and my new buddy Larry found him lying in the grass just a few feet where I was looking in the dark. ((( Never pass a buck on the first day that you would be happy with on the last day. ))) Mike, his son Justin, Ron, and myself all got bucks. A total of 4 bucks for our camp. Other guys and my wife had shots and other missed opportunities that will haunt them until next season.

Thanks Mike and everyone else that shared their camp and their mountain with us. We had a great time.

Jim & Tashla

Sweet sounds like a great time didn't want to be rude just love the story's.

We almost got back in the trailer with all the kids and went back for a roading weekend in Utah. The wife was really pushing for it but the breaks on my truck went out yesterday. 1,125.00 for all four. Then we were even thinking about tenting it out of the mini van. But it didn't happen.

We would have gone right back with this 3 day weekend but the darn truck was in the shop.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu