Valley center turkeys!!

Hit a eurasian on Vesper today with the pickup. Does that count? They're big and all. Turkeys have been in vc for quite a few years. Almost hit one on vc rd by Miller about 20yrs ago. Big bucks over by the gun range too. Used to see them all the time on the school bus.

Edit: had turkeys in my yard about 4yrs ago. Dogs didn't bother them and they stuck around a couple weeks. Kinda miss them. Like the quail we used to have here too.

Reactions: Capt.bones
Hit a eurasian on Vesper today with the pickup. Does that count? They're big and all. Turkeys have been in vc for quite a few years. Almost hit one on vc rd by Miller about 20yrs ago. Big bucks over by the gun range too. Used to see them all the time on the school bus.

Edit: had turkeys in my yard about 4yrs ago. Dogs didn't bother them and they stuck around a couple weeks. Kinda miss them. Like the quail we used to have here too.

I’ll count it as fast food. I’m off of sunset and a shit load of euros here. Tempting to bust out the BB gun or sling shot.

Used to dove hunt off vesper by sunset. Sad to see this town over run by liberals. Luckily my neighbors all know me and expect gunshots.

Ha. That’s actually where I live. That field that over looks rincon I hike there daily. Never really thought of dove hunting there due to the proximity to houses.....

Yea last year we had a hen on my property. She stuck around for awhile then wondered of. She was solo.

Yea last year we had a hen on my property. She stuck around for awhile then wondered of. She was solo.

True sign of spring dispersal...Had one hen in 1993, travel 17 miles to nest (Sutherland to Henshaw)...I'm hoping with two springs of good rainfall...We'll get back to having new flocks spring up in new areas.

Reactions: MAG 1 and SDLIVIN
What would it take to do more plantings?

Jeremy,

Back in about 1998, the Dept. of Fish and Game got sued by the National Plant Society and bug society (don't remember official name)...After that, DFG discontinued transplanting turkeys within the state of California...We had so many in San Diego at one time, we were capturing birds here and taking them to Los Padres NF outside of Santa Barbara.

In Northern California, NWTF along with DFW did some transplanting of problem birds in cities like Davis a few years back...I have talked to the NWTF biologist in NoCal and it will take another act of God to move birds again...Many consider them a non-native species and the state is full of greenies.

With a drought, lots of predators, and the dying off of our historical oak groves (mast)...I hope you can understand why I'm so adamant about not shooting hens, bearded or not (fall & spring)...Again, if we ever loose our turkeys in San Diego County, we'll never get them again.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu