Veteran looking for scoped rifle help. Teacher ?

Birddognate4

Feb 18, 2024
This year will be my first year deer hunting and am looking for someone to possibly donate some time or possibly renting their time to teach me and possibly a friend how to properly use scopes and create dope charts. I have shooting experience from the army but nothing with scopes. Possibly hitting the range or desert shooting. Using moa reticles. Rifle is a savage 110 ultralight with a vortex viper 5x25-50

Nate,

1st off, thank you for your service...Secondly, I am definitely NOT your guy when it comes rifles scopes and all that kind of stuff...I do have a couple of suggestions and questions for you though.

1...Don't over think what you're trying to accomplish...Killing a deer...It's mostly good scouting and hard work that brings success.

2...The rifle you have is more than accurate enough and is solid overall...Get to know it.

3...What zone or what county to you live in?...Lots of ranges around that are very willing to help military out.

Good luck

Reactions: 180ls1
unfortunately I only did 8 years and don’t have access to hunt the base. Thank you for the chart !!

Check out a few videos by Ryan Cleckner. Sniper team leader and instructor. He has videos from how to properly mount your scope, basic shooting and understanding MOA. I picked up a lot from him, along with finding out what I had been doing wrong.

I know a guy PM me I’m a Pala shooting range a lot. We just need to get your bullet speed and I can get you a chart. Mondays and fridays is when I mostly shoot.

Nate,

1st off, thank you for your service...Secondly, I am definitely NOT your guy when it comes rifles scopes and all that kind of stuff...I do have a couple of suggestions and questions for you though.

1...Don't over think what you're trying to accomplish...Killing a deer...It's mostly good scouting and hard work that brings success.

2...The rifle you have is more than accurate enough and is solid overall...Get to know it.

3...What zone or what county to you live in?...Lots of ranges around that are very willing to help military out.

Good luck

I know a guy PM me I’m a Pala shooting range a lot. We just need to get your bullet speed and I can get you a chart. Mondays and fridays is when I mostly shoot.
I could come out on a Friday I’m sure I have those days off from time to time.

Check out a few videos by Ryan Cleckner. Sniper team leader and instructor. He has videos from how to properly mount your scope, basic shooting and understanding MOA. I picked up a lot from him, along with finding out what I had been doing wrong.
I second that! Ryan cleckner has a vast bank of knowledge with practical long range shooting. I have his long range shooting handbook that I still reference every time I’m knocked down a peg by a rough day of shooting.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu