WA Goose Hunt

Markinit1

May 30, 2020
I have a question for you veteran out of state hunters. I’m flying to WA for my first out of state hunt, not to mention my first goose hunt. I have a friend who’s got a farm that has 1000’s of geese coming through every day. My question is since I’m flying, how do you recommend bringing birds home back to Cali?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Know a guy in WA state ...he wears green jeans...but he is the real deal ..shared blood....let me know .

Reactions: Markinit1
Have you ever eaten geese? This thread might be a moot point.

I have not, but I figured if I’m gonna hunt it, I’m gonna eat it. I’m guessing not everyone is a fan?

I have not, but I figured if I’m gonna hunt it, I’m gonna eat it. I’m guessing not everyone is a fan?

You are guessing right, You will find opinions on both sides on the palitabiliy of geese and ducks as well. IMO a lot of it has to do with what kind of feed they have been on. Grain fed appears to be better than grass or swamp fed from my experience. In general from my experience geese have a stronger flavor than ducks. But others here will tell you they are all good. Everybody has an opinion so make your own.

I would guess you transport it the same way as fish. Use an ice chest, ice packs or dry ice, and duct tape. I haven’t done it in a while. Bring a roll of duct tape to the airport with you in case they want to look inside before you seal it and check it.

Reactions: Snake Charmer
Personally I don't like the taste of big Canadas at all, but I will eat snows out of the rice before any duck in California

Reactions: NBK
I, on the other hand, love honkers...We cook them in a number of ways...The latest is my daughter takes 2 fileted breasts and slow cooks them in a Instant pot.

Comes out like the best pulled pork...Delish

ps...Birds that have this thick a breast are normally cut in half...Then a Jaccard is used with your favorite dry rub already on breast...This flavors the meat and tenderizes at the same time.

Reactions: KID CREOLE
I, on the other hand, love honkers...We cook them in a number of ways...The latest is my daughter takes 2 fileted breasts and slow cooks them in a Instant pot.

Comes out like the best pulled pork...Delish

ps...Birds that have this thick a breast are normally cut in half...Then a Jaccard is used with your favorite dry rub already on breast...This flavors the meat and tenderizes at the same time.
Split in half or butterflied ?

Some great tips for eating them, thanks everyone! Would you freeze them or not, pack them in a cooler, and check it in with the airline?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu