Weak Local Dove Season

8SteelTown

Second dove season is my favorite season for upland bird. In my locations, over the last 5 years, the first season is somewhat sparse, but the second season gets HOT with dove action! Since the opening of the second season this year, I've been to every one of my dove spots and seen next to zero dove. Last few years, I'd have at least 30 birds in the freezer by now. It's not the typical quandary of "they're on the power lines but won't fly the fields". There are just no birds. I'll see 1 or 2 Euros, here or there, but they're centered in a location where you have to get a mile away for the closest hunting spot. Quail has been so-so and I'm not pressuring them at all. Every weekend I go hunt and I see zero other hunters so at least I feel good about knowing others aren't pressuring them either. Would be nice if some weather pushed the northerly birds south... Doubt those border birds are going to come north for any reason. This isn't geared for responses of "well I've seen birds in my spots" :-X ... I'm just venting my frustration :mad:. Makes me want to take my Gamo and park under power lines and open the sunroof! Urban hunting at its finest!

We've noticed the same thing......A lot less birds than years past. Even here locally. The euros are almost none existent in the feed lots we normally get them too.....Maybe shooting unlimited amounts this summer has taken it's toll. They are resilient and may just be hanging in the cities for now. Next spring/summer will tell the tale...... ???

Still don't understand why the mourning dove limit was raised to 15 either....... ::)

The dove are all in Mexico at the moment. Its all about the food! No pressure and unlimited amounts of food have made this year the best ever for dove down south..... its been almost silly how many dove are flying around down there.

Good to hear Bill.......The lack of wheat has really lessoned the late hunt in the IV.......As soon as the fields are harvested. They are tilled under. We also used to have a lot of cantaloupe fields.....Plowed as soon as they're done as well.

How about euros?

the Wheat is key i think, they planted a lot in the Mexicali valley. that has held the birds while the other crops are being harvested.

euros are pretty thick near Graineries.

The hot ticket right now are the Milo fields they are harvesting. The dove are just flooding into them.

Ah yes milo.......There's one milo field that I know of south of 8.......Looks like Argentina....... ;)

Last couple times I've been out I've seen a lot of birds you just gotta try to get lost to find the mother load lol

Snake Charmer said:
Plenty of dove in Mesa Grande area, been around for awhile.

Our spots have zero.......While the 1st half was loaded.......Little surprised really. Still lots of turkey mellein (dove weed).

Suburban Adventuress said:
Agree with this, I got skunked a couple weeks ago after having no problem during first season. Was trying to figure it out and word on the street is that they come up and down between here and Mexico.

Yep, been out near Mexicali twice since late season opened... Limited both times, the shooting is still good!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu