Welcome Newbies!

Name is Josue (pronounced Ho-sway) second year Turkey hunter. Before that active outdoorsman. Always wanted to hunt but now I live in San Diego which is great hunting area. I will gladly take all your tips on locations to hunt. GPS coordinates are appreaciated LOL
I have already had a lot of help reading all the forums. Good luck out there and put some miles on those boots!

Reactions: sleipnir
Josue,

Welcome to SCH.....One of the 1st permissions I got to turkey hunt private property. The prop caretaker was named Josue.

How's your season going so far?

PRECISELY where it comes from, with a little twist! Haha good catch.

I'm in Corona and I'm literally starting from scratch, which is why I set my goal (tentatively) for next year. I'm going to try to get a hunting class soon, and start accumulating gear over the coming months. I'm definitely very open to suggestions, as well.

Edit: Not complete scratch. I have firearms, and am proficient with them. Currently browsing for an entry level hunting rifle, and possibly looking to trade one of my AR's for one. Also starting to look into archery, as well.

Hey Scott,

I’m out of Corona as well...I wrote this years ago when I was in your shoes...still relevant. PM me...
---------------------
I'll share my experience which will help you get a better understanding of how it works here:

1. Joined the forums and read, read, read...did NOT post yet.

2. Found certain guys on here that seemed to have a better understanding - singled them out and read all their posts.

3. Scouted areas based on their post insights.

4. Hunted alone...learned...and documented my findings.

5. THEN made a few private messages about my hunts to those guys I singled out in the forums. They are much more willing to share that way.

6. Do what they say and share your results with them...good or bad.

7. Start posting about your hunts...don't ask for anything in general posts, just share results. The guys will comment if they want.

WHY this process (3 years) worked for me?

1. I now have a solid bird gun, the right decoys and gear because of their advice.

2. I have a few honey spots because of them...although I have more "friends" when I get a good ressie :)

3. I always remember to report back to them my findings...(i.e. No turkey sightings to tons of quail...always return the favor).

4. Share your pics of successful hunts...these mentors like to see that you put in the work and got yourself a trophy!

...at least, that is what I did...[/QUOTE]

Josue,

Welcome to SCH.....One of the 1st permissions I got to turkey hunt private property. The prop caretaker was named Josue.

How's your season going so far?

Not that great. Seeing lots of signs but no still have not gotten a bird yet....Pretty frustrating but I will keep at it. I was going to go yesterday but the wind is picking up real bad.

The site is growing quickly and we thought it would be a good idea to have somewhere for the newbies to start. We would just like to welcome everyone and thank you for joining!

Please be respectful to your fellow posters. We may not all agree, but we certainly can learn something from those who have a different view on things.

Feel free to introduce yourselves, say hi, or ask any questions. We will do our best to help, and we appreciate your contributions!

Welcome to SCH!
Hi ! I'm new to bow hunting here in San Diego .ca. So far killing paper . I've takin the bow hunters online course though it's not required in California. I have no desire to pay $600 to hunt at this time but I have looked up Palomar my. And Imperal valley as a good spot to bow hunt Jack rabbit. My question is this. The rabbit season is open June 1 . I would like to get a heads up from other nubbies bow hunters for rabbit and such to help me scout this season.

Hi ! I'm new to bow hunting here in San Diego .ca. So far killing paper . I've takin the bow hunters online course though it's not required in California. I have no desire to pay $600 to hunt at this time but I have looked up Palomar my. And Imperal valley as a good spot to bow hunt Jack rabbit. My question is this. The rabbit season is open June 1 . I would like to get a heads up from other nubbies bow hunters for rabbit and such to help me scout this season.

Cottontail rabbit season opens July 1 not June.. but jackrabbits are open all year. Good practice for archery in the meantime.

Cottontail rabbit season opens July 1 not June.. but jackrabbits are open all year. Good practice for archery in the meantime.
Thanks, I got my hunting license today and plan to hunt jackrabbit and Turkey this spring and summer. Still would like to hook up with anyone that is less green at bow hunting. Look forward to getting to meet like minded hunters in the San Diego area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig,

Congrats on getting your license.....It might be a good idea to read the small game & upland game bird hunting regulations....Backwards & forwards.

Hello everybody! Im really glad I found SCH! I am from San Diego and just got my hunting license for the first time last month, also got my upland game bird stamp! My first tags I picked up were a wild pig tag and a bobcat tag I also plan to put in for the deer draw next month. I don't know anyone in San Diego who hunts but plan to join the NWTF and hopefully meet some local hunters. If anyone can point me in he direction of where I can scout for pigs and bobcat in the area I'd appreciate it. I know it takes a bunch of scouting before trying to do a hunt so I'm ready to put the time in, I just don't really know where to start.

Welcome to SCH. For scouting you'll need to review some maps of public land areas, i.e. Cleveland Nat'l Forest, BLM, and CDFW Wildlife Areas to figure out what's legal to hunt. Then get out there and hike around to find good areas to hunt. Hardcopy maps are good to have, but OnXMaps is almost a necessary resource these days too. Pigs here in SD are few if not non-existent unless you have inside intel and some dogs. Bobcats are everywhere but season has ended already. Good luck.

Hello everyone,

not my first post on this site, but figured I should introduce myself. Statistically speaking I'm probably well into the second half of this earthly toil & just developed the interest for hunting. Have lots of hobbies that on a Venn diagram would overlap hunting so thinking about it seems like a very natural progression. Have a crossbow and just ordered my first rifle (.308 rem 700). I'm mostly interested in big game currently, but starting to realize it might be fun to chase some bunnies too, so there's likely a ruger 22 in my near future.

My two kids joined me for hunters ed class about a month ago, so we're good to go as soon as we pick up some tags. Am in the process of devouring all info I can here to educate myself, will likely try a guided hunt come this autumn, just to learn the ropes. Very glad to have found this site, it is a treasure. I live in the LA area around mid-city, always happy to make new friends so if you need a novice hunting buddy PM me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawnandusk
Sle,

Welcome to SCH.....Knowing your limitations and asking questions is the best way to get started.....Sight that .308 in and pick a zone that you feel comfortable with.....Then invest in OnX Maps.....Scouting and knowing the lay of the land is the key to most big game successes.

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Brand new to the site! Seem's to be great so far. I found it through ilovesprig...I guess he's a good guy (just kidding-he's great!)

Anyhow, I have been hunting for a very long time, and one thing I know, is that is extremely hard to hunt in California. From, just understanding regulations to the ridiculous cost of tags and license fees, its a tough state to pursue this heritage and passion. With that wrote, I appreciate sites like this. I look forward to getting to know some of you and share valuable information.

Kindest regards,

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I have got back into hunting over the last few years and am sorry I ever put the pause button on it. I found this site while doing research for this year’s deer season and am working my way through a lot of great info.

Good luck on any upcoming hunts!!

Cosmo2S

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Hello everyone,

I came across this site while preparing for the upcoming D16 season. I’ve enjoyed hunting dove, quail, and jackrabbits for some time now, but finally decided to give deer hunting a go with my grandfather’s 35 Remington.

I’ve set trail cameras, scouted a few areas, and have done a lot of research, but of course it still feels like I’ve only scratched the surface here. Looking forward to this weekend!

04395233-414A-440A-8346-FDBB6B27C272.jpeg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu