Welcome Newbies!

Hello Everyone!

I've lived in San Diego for almost a decade now and just recently got into hunting here. This coming up dove season will mark my 2nd year hunting here in SoCal. I grew up hunting in Pennsylvania but due to life I sort of let it go by the way side. One thing I am quickly learning is hunting here is a whole different beast than back east!

Last year I hunted dove, rabbit, and pheasant. I plan on expanding my list this year to attempt some bigger game and in general trying to spend more time outdoors. So glad I found this website!

'Steak,

Welcome to SCH....Give waterfowl a try as well....In November, you can hunt all the species you mentioned above....A 2 hour drive is well worth it.

Thanks for the heads up and the welcome. Just wanted to let you know I found out about this forum from the podcast you and a few fellas did a few days ago. Really enjoyed it and hope to hear more!

Thanks for the heads up and the welcome. Just wanted to let you know I found out about this forum from the podcast you and a few fellas did a few days ago. Really enjoyed it and hope to hear more!

Thanks MS,

Ridge2Ridge has a waterfowl podcast scheduled for August...Specifically Wister and what is required to hunt waterfowl in general in California.

Reactions: Zak
Last year at ThanksGiving got me seriously thinking about WaterFowl. Goose at the store was $6.99/Lbs!!! So these Frozen whole Geese were like $70-80 Bucks! I see those Canadian Geese dang near Everyday at the Naval Golf Course when I'm at the Dog Park... and I just start counting 'em and doing the math on how much money that is feeding around!

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig
How many Geese can a guy take?

Depends on where you are, what time of the season, and what kind of goose it is.

In Canada, we're allowed 24 darks, Canada geese (8 per day) or 15 specks (5 per day)) in possession....White geese (snow & ross) 50 per day with no possession limit.

Here we're allowed 9 darks in possession (3 per day) and 60 white geese (20 per day)

These goose numbers are for the Pacific flyway.

'dog,

Probably cheaper paying the $70.00 a pound, than hunting them....:joy:

Not only what @ilovesprig said but they aren't very tasty. Generally smell like urine when you clean them and eat like rubber. Nasty rubber!

And ya I know, cook it this way and marinate it that way. Good luck. Sausage and jerky is the only way I will eat them. I have a tidbit of experience shooting these magnificent animals, just lack experience eating them. And it doesn't matter where you shoot them, I have shot large quantities in three different countries - they still suck.

Duck on the other-hand, well - fillet mignon comes to mind!

Just my myopic opinion. Some folks like tough meat that smells like urine and tastes like aged liver. @Larry might appreciate geese, could taste like coyote. In fact, I might like coyote more than geese (just a guess).

What NBK said... Sat next to NBK and Just My Game for many years in many different places and always looked forward to eating something else for dinner..

Miss those days Fred. When the time is right, we might just have to get back after it!

John & Fred.....PLEEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEE come to the super bowl party at my home some day....You will have goose that tastes as good as any steak, especially the specks.

ps....Even Canucks, who would not eat geese, love them now...:yum

pss….Traeger's rock!

.010.JPG

Reactions: Zak and SurfNHuntSD
John & Fred.....PLEEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEE come to the super bowl party at my home some day....You will have goose that tastes as good as any steak, especially the specks.

ps....Even Canucks, who would not eat geese, love them now...:yum

pss….Traeger's rock!

You have had some bad steak Steve...

• Haha
Traeger's are freakin' Magical! I recently got introduced to how amazing products turn out when cook in those. Several of the Scout Assistant Leaders have them. When we went to Rainbow Basin they ran one. Oh man... the gluttony! I felt like a Lion that just woofed down a whole Gazelle!

Hey all,
Last season was my first time hunting. I didn’t grow up in a hunting family and just found out how much I’ve been missing. I’m originally from SoCal, but I’m Active Duty Mil and have been in SD for the past 12 years. Happy to have found this site and am looking forward to expanding the hunting experience beyond rifle and Elk.
-PB

Hello all,

new member here from Southern California Inland Empire. New to duck hunting. I will be out at Wister on opening day. Found this website out of pure luck and trying to learn about duck hunting. I am sure that I will be posting more after the first hunt and will be asking lots of questions.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
T51,

Welcome to SCH...Some good info and good reads in the waterfowl section here...Ask questions about want you need to know and they will be answered...Oh, and read the waterfowl regulations backwards & forwards.

Hello I everyone,
I am from Anaheim. And I recently took up hunting. Don’t really know much, but have been watching meat eater non-stop lol. So I caught a few tricks. I just got my hunting license along with my R700 .308. Was looking up tips and locations around SoCal and came across this gem. I was thinking of going this November 1-3. Hopefully it’s not too late to catch me a buck. Could use some help from the successful hunters in this page.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu