Welcome Newbies!

Looks like motorhead needs my avatar...LOL...awesome band btw...

I was directed to the site by John @ Fine Firearms after discussing pigs, NFA stuff, etc. Nice shop and nice people too. I'm a gear-head and like old cars, firearms and have a renewed interest in hunting. I used to bag rabbits @ Otay as a kid but have been interested in pigs after seeing friends involved with it.

Best regards,

Chris

Welcome aboard Chris. I enjoy the pursuit of pigs as well.

Hello, my name is Nick and I have never been hunting but I'm looking to go dove and quail hunting this September, and looking forward to turkey, deer, and elk hunting in the near future!

I'm up in Orange, but I've heard that the best turkey hunting is down by San Diego. Is this true?

Welcome to the SCH website Nick. Glad to have you aboard.

And yes, San Diego County had some of the best turkey hunting in the entire state.

Good Day All!, Glad I came across the site. It is very informative. I grew up hunting birds in Central Oregon and since moving to SoCal thirty years ago I unfortunately got lost in the urban jungle. I am really looking to get back into hunting (birds, pigs, deer). Just bought a Ruger Scout to take a pig and what ever else I can.

Thanks for all the info

Mentor needed!

Hello fellow SoCalians!

I'm a VERY new hunter - just hunted my first pheasant last month in Montana and definitely caught the hunting bug. Unfortunately none of my friends here hunt so I've been catching bits and pieces of advice from forums like this one, but not enough to confidently go out and hunt yet alone.

Here in San Diego county I'm hoping to connect with a mentor who can show me good spots for dove or turkey (I know pheasant is unlikely) or even squirrel or rabbit. If we hunt birds I will spring for ammo and clean your birds if you bring your bird dog and show me where to hunt, and if we hunt for furbearers I will spring for ammo but will not clean your kills as I'm not yet experienced in them (esp. rabbit!) though once I learn, I'm definitely willing to do the butchering!

Thanks and happy hunting! ;)

Hey guys,
I just joined the SCH. I'm originally from Canada so hunting here in California is new to me but I'll probably be spending allot of time up in D13 as I live in the Santa Clarita Valley. I went out and did some scouting this morning and saw a blacktail doe at the trailhead, and lots of scat. Looks promising! Any tips or advise on this area would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Hello all! A newbie to the forum, but not to hunting...well hunting in SoCal. Originally from Central valley & always head up there to hunt. I've been living in the inland empire for last 13 yrs. I haven't done any hunting down here cause I don't know anyone who can get me some info, plus life & kids puts hunting on the back burner sometimes. Anyways, hoping to get some great info here & excited I hunt closer to home!

I'm definitely a newbie. I've gone on about 6 hunts, so far bagged a turkey, one quail, and aground squirrel. Yup.

However, I do have access to 70 acres of private land in the Angeles Forest a friend (the owner) is encouraging me to hunt on. I was there today and saw a covey of quail, sign for rabbit, deer, coyote, and possibly a bobcat, and the lake was full of ducks. Also heard some geese early on the am but I was too far from the lake to see.

I'm looking for someone to take me under their wing, so to speak. I have a friend I sometimes hunt with but we are both green so it is the blind leading the blind. I eat everything I kill, and am pretty strict about respecting the no-lead rules in the Forest, per my friend's wishes, but I have access to a lot of land and could use a seasoned hunting partner to show me the ropes.

ultimatedude said:
well i guess i am a newbie to this site but not to hunting..how ya`ll doing...to break some ice here is little story for ya....a few years back i was hunting the barley flats area during rifle season and decided to check this spot i saw some deer run down.after walking a bit i found an area that someone must of sat and had a personal party...there were at least 7 beer cans and assorted snack wrappers in one spot...so me not happy about someone trashing the forest decided to pick up the trash...i layed my gun down and started crushing the cans with my boot when all of a sudden i heard thumping.i looked up and here is this buck charging right at me...of course my gun is away from me..the sound of the cans being smashed must of pissed the buck off or it thought it was another deer...i made a move toward my gun but the buck already saw me and fled the other way...BUMMER

I hit the like button, cool story.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu