Welcome Newbies!

MamaBear

Nov 29, 2011
Southern California
The site is growing quickly and we thought it would be a good idea to have somewhere for the newbies to start. We would just like to welcome everyone and thank you for joining!

Please be respectful to your fellow posters. We may not all agree, but we certainly can learn something from those who have a different view on things.

Feel free to introduce yourselves, say hi, or ask any questions. We will do our best to help, and we appreciate your contributions!

Welcome to SCH!

well i guess i am a newbie to this site but not to hunting..how ya`ll doing...to break some ice here is little story for ya....a few years back i was hunting the barley flats area during rifle season and decided to check this spot i saw some deer run down.after walking a bit i found an area that someone must of sat and had a personal party...there were at least 7 beer cans and assorted snack wrappers in one spot...so me not happy about someone trashing the forest decided to pick up the trash...i layed my gun down and started crushing the cans with my boot when all of a sudden i heard thumping.i looked up and here is this buck charging right at me...of course my gun is away from me..the sound of the cans being smashed must of pissed the buck off or it thought it was another deer...i made a move toward my gun but the buck already saw me and fled the other way...BUMMER

Great story...It always happens that way but usually when you get up to pee or along those lines.

Reactions: TheGDog
Hello,
My name is Clay and I started going hunting in Junior High with my pops. Most of our hunting has been done in Texas, Nebraska, and the CA/AZ border. I haven't been out since early 2000's but recently started going back to Prado and Rahaagees which has made me want to get back into the swing of things. I joined this site the last night to get more in touch with the hunting community in Orange County since it's been awhile. Looking forward to all the information I am going to gain here.

Hello all! My name is Chris and I just joined the site last week. I'm a 25 year-old law student and have only been hunting a few years; mostly upland game (qual/chukar) and waterfowl, and all self-taught. I joined this site to get in touch with the hunting community in Los Angeles and possibly find a hunting mentor. I'm looking forward to learning a lot and maybe even meeting some of you for some good times in the woods.

Hello, my name is Christopher and I've never been hunting but after working for Turner's Outdoorsman for the past 3 years I'm extremely interested and trying to plan my first hunt.

I was originally going to try Cottontails in Mt Baldy but it's totally not the season so instead I'm going to hunt Jackrabbits off the I-15. I suppose I'll just have to crock-pot it instead of the barbecue I originally had in mind (cause my customers got me concerned about parasites)

I was going to go alone but it looks like I found another first timer to hunt with so we'll get to learn as we screw up and get dysentery together. If anyone has any tips I'd really appreciate them.

Hey Cristopher welcome to the site. Make sure you have your hunting license with you and since your going to eat them, use a smaller caliber so you don't do too much damage.

crramos87 said:
Hello all! My name is Chris and I just joined the site last week. I'm a 25 year-old law student and have only been hunting a few years; mostly upland game (qual/chukar) and waterfowl, and all self-taught. I joined this site to get in touch with the hunting community in Los Angeles and possibly find a hunting mentor. I'm looking forward to learning a lot and maybe even meeting some of you for some good times in the woods.

Missed this one somehow. Welcome to the site Chris.

Lungpopper said:
Hey Cristopher welcome to the site. Make sure you have your hunting license with you and since your going to eat them, use a smaller caliber so you don't do too much damage.

Thank you, I was going to use my 12 Guage with 6 shot loads. Should I step down to 7.5?

Tophurian said:
Lungpopper said:

Thank you, I was going to use my 12 Guage with 6 shot loads. Should I step down to 7.5?

#6's are fine. I was thinking rifle. Good luck.

Tophurian said:
I was originally going to try Cottontails in Mt Baldy but it's totally not the season so instead I'm going to hunt Jackrabbits off the I-15. I suppose I'll just have to crock-pot it instead of the barbecue I originally had in mind (cause my customers got me concerned about parasites)

I was going to go alone but it looks like I found another first timer to hunt with so we'll get to learn as we screw up and get dysentery together. If anyone has any tips I'd really appreciate them.

Where abouts off the 15 can you find them? I am new to SOCAL and starting with small game would be a good foot in the door to hunting around here.

Just joined and looking for folks to hunt with in the San Diego region. Been hunting all my life. Mostly out of state since I had very little success in CA. I hunt Birds ,small game and big game. Not much on varmints as I was taught you eat what you kill. Robin does not have much meat on it lol long story from when I was young .

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu