Welcome Newbies!

Hi all. I'm Scott, and I'm currently in Riverside County. I've been thinking about hunting for a while now, and have set my goal to go out next year on a trip. In the meantime, I'll be doing my research, doing my paperwork, gathering gear, and hopefully finding a hunting partner.

It's ironic that I got the hunting itch in California as I grew up in Virginia and spent 10 years stationed in North Carolina, where hunting is pretty prevalent. Anyway, glad to have found this resource, and I look forward to interacting with you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome Scotty. Your user name reminds me of Euro trip..... Funny movie... Anyways, What part of Riverside County? Have you gotten your hunting license Yet? What gear do you currently have?

Welcome Scotty. Your user name reminds me of Euro trip..... Funny movie... Anyways, What part of Riverside County? Have you gotten your hunting license Yet? What gear do you currently have?

PRECISELY where it comes from, with a little twist! Haha good catch.

I'm in Corona and I'm literally starting from scratch, which is why I set my goal (tentatively) for next year. I'm going to try to get a hunting class soon, and start accumulating gear over the coming months. I'm definitely very open to suggestions, as well.

Edit: Not complete scratch. I have firearms, and am proficient with them. Currently browsing for an entry level hunting rifle, and possibly looking to trade one of my AR's for one. Also starting to look into archery, as well.

Good evening everyone! First time I get involved in a forum, looking to make some good hunting relationships and possibly some guidance. This upcoming year I plan to start bowhunting in California and I am in need of on and of field guidance. Currently, I own an old Mathews 50# compound (eventually bowfish) looking to start with that and upgrade soon. Planning on making turkey and small game my first outings with buddies. Just excited to get out and enjoy life and always open to making new friends and memories. Please contact me if you're willing to teach and pass on some knowledge. -JP

JP,

Welcome to SCH......Lots of great bow hunters here......Ask lots of questions and I'm sure you'll get some sound advice.....What part of SoCal you at?

The Bow & Arrow Shop in east county (Bruce & Renee) and Willow Creek Archery (Brett) in north county are great places to hang out and get what you need in the future.

JP,

Welcome to SCH......Lots of great bow hunters here......Ask lots of questions and I'm sure you'll get some sound advice.....What part of SoCal you at?

The Bow & Arrow Shop in east county (Bruce & Renee) and Willow Creek Archery (Brett) in north county are great places to hang out and get what you need in the future.

Thanks for the reply ILOVESPRIG, I live in Pomona but I'm open for a drive either north or south for scouting, hunting, packing out, etc.

Also, looking to get my bow sighted in. Would you happen to know of anyone/place that might be able to help. Process seems straightforward, but I don't have the long distance luxury at home. Thank you, hope y'all have a great day.

New to this forum, but been hunting my whole life. I'm an Orange County 4th generation resident. My dad used to hunt Yorba Linda hills. I hope to learn something new and maybe teach something too. My passions are hunting and fishing. I'm looking forward to gaining some new relations. The old WWII vet that taught me to fly fish once told me, "You can never have too many hunting and fishing buddies."

Last edited:
Hi Everyone. My name is Oscar. New hunter here. My quick story. I have always been an outdoors man fishing camping hiking shooting. Always curious about hunting but never had anyone to teach me. Me and a buddy made it a point to get it going this year. We did our class a few weeks ago.My plan is to do a guided hunt for pig and learn everything I can. Then later this year hunt deer on public land. I was thinking d14. I'm out of Corona.

Welcome to SCH oscar. Guided pig hunt is a good idea although you'll probably have to venture further north. Start hiking the D14 zone now so you can get familiar with the hunt areas and while the weather is nice. Also invest in a shotgun, as it'll open up your opportunities for small game and birds. Enjoy.

Welcome to SCH oscar. Guided pig hunt is a good idea although you'll probably have to venture further north. Start hiking the D14 zone now so you can get familiar with the hunt areas and while the weather is nice. Also invest in a shotgun, as it'll open up your opportunities for small game and birds. Enjoy.

Thanks for the advice!

Hi Everyone. My name is Oscar. New hunter here. My quick story. I have always been an outdoors man fishing camping hiking shooting. Always curious about hunting but never had anyone to teach me. Me and a buddy made it a point to get it going this year. We did our class a few weeks ago.My plan is to do a guided hunt for pig and learn everything I can. Then later this year hunt deer on public land. I was thinking d14. I'm out of Corona.

Welcome to SCH & the addiction of hunting. I hunt D14 every year. If you want to be successful here, you need to spend as much time as possible scouting. If you need any advice just ask. But please don't ask me for good spots. Good luck, you might run into me out there.

Welcome to SCH & the addiction of hunting. I hunt D14 every year. If you want to be successful here, you need to spend as much time as possible scouting. If you need any advice just ask. But please don't ask me for good spots. Good luck, you might run into me out there.

Thanks for the advice offer Nicholas ! I understand how much work goes into finding those "good spots". I might take you up on it after i get myself out in the field and burn some boot leather scouting.

Oscar,

Welcome to SCH.....Invest in Onyx Maps, use Google earth, and drive the area you plan on hunting.....Getting a lay of the land is very important and it will look different than you think.

Like mentioned, invest in a shotgun. It opens much more in the way of opportunities to hunt.

Good luck and ask questions.

ps.....Read al the hunting regulations backwards & forwards.

Hi. I'm Jay. I am new to hunting. I'm not new to shooting. I've shot high power rifle & bullseye pistol comps while in the Navy. I've been shooting trad archery for about 12 yrs now. Now I'd like to apply these skills in the field. Just got .25 Benjamin Marauder and want to start small (rabbits/hares). I live in Visalia.

Hi everyone. Name's Robin, I'm 32 and a Los Angeles native. Quit my job recently and looking to spend some time learning to hunt before I have to go back to working again (looks like Turkey is the soonest opportunity). Not sure where to start as deciphering BLM areas, getting tags, up to date info, regulations etc. are kind of daunting leaving me unsure if I'm acting as a responsible hunter within the law. Looking to connect with a mentor and other hunters to share their experiences and to learn more about hunting and conservation.

My first hunt was this year harvesting dove close to the Mexico border.
Thanks in advance to everyone in this community for holding a place for new enthusiasts.
Appreciate the knowledge and advice to come.

Blessings,
Robin

Robin,

Welcome to SCH.....If you hunted doves this past year. Then you have (or should have) a upland game bird stamp.....That is all you need to hunt turkeys.....There's a ton of info on turkey hunting here on SCH (upland forum)and the San Diego NWTF website.....Here in SoCal the only real place to hunt them is in San Diego Co. In San Diego Co. your best bet on public land is the Cleveland National Forest.....Invest in OnX Maps and a CNF map.....Then drive to San Diego East County and use your maps to find likely areas to hunt.....Scouting and time spent in the woods is imperative.....Good luck

Robin,

Welcome to SCH.....If you hunted doves this past year. Then you have (or should have) a upland game bird stamp.....That is all you need to hunt turkeys.....There's a ton of info on turkey hunting here on SCH (upland forum)and the San Diego NWTF website.....Here in SoCal the only real place to hunt them is in San Diego Co. In San Diego Co. your best bet on public land is the Cleveland National Forest.....Invest in OnX Maps and a CNF map.....Then drive to San Diego East County and use your maps to find likely areas to hunt.....Scouting and time spent in the woods is imperative.....Good luck

Thank you sir for the info - will pick up those maps and head down there this coming week.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu