Well I had an interesting weekend

vtc17

Aug 29, 2020
So I get to my location I’m going to hunt on Friday, set up camp and do a little glassing. Saturday comes and I’m up early and at it. I spot 2 does and a buck, start to make my way to them when they walk off a bit. I follow them to get a better view and shot. As I do this i start to notice some odd signs around me. There is tubing running up the side of the hill. I than start to see marijuana plants all over the place. So now I start to back out not wanting to have an encounter with any one protecting their plants. As I’m backing out I see a man in camouflage walking. His back was to me and there was a strap around his back. After getting out of there I packed out and left the area. Damm it was a good area with lots of sign and had great potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as I am packing a gun then I wouldn't be afraid.
Packing or not, stumbling into a pot grow is an excellent way to get your ass blown away. You should be afraid. If that happens get the hell out of there asap.
I too don’t care about pot but illegal grows are devastating to the environment and the animals.. In addition it prevents us from using our natural resources and creates a real danger to anyone accidentally coming upon a grow. Keep in mind most of the growers are illegals, criminals, gang members, ms13 members and working for cartels. They’ll kill you like stepping on a bug. And there are usually 2 or more of them, you don’t know where the bullet is coming from. Glad the OP was unharmed.

Last edited:
If u come up on a marijuana operation armed or not, depart the area ASAP. they won't hesitate to protect their operation hence themselves. Don't be a dead hero......

Reactions: dhntr48
Don't bother telling where this area is, so we can save are own skins. WTF?

If a drainage has year round water and no trail, you’ll find black tubing 9 times out of 10 in the Los Padres.

Reactions: skeet
Found the black pipe near Love Valley a few years back...My DFW game warden friend in NoCal says about 75% of his work is drug related.

These pot grower/guards like their AKs and SKSs. I have heard of cases where they set up some Booby Traps around their grows. Luckily, most hunters have bushcraft and stealth on their side.

Reactions: WaterDog
Who is responsible for knocking down the illegal weed growers?
I mean, if people practicing legal hunting can run in to them, I would imagine law enforcement can find them too. So what's the deal? The US has spent so much money and time taking down the narcos overseas...the illegal growers at home should be a walk in the park.

Is hard not to find a reason not to carry a firearm when hunting with a bow...

These pot grower/guards like their AKs and SKSs. I have heard of cases where they set up some Booby Traps around their grows. Luckily, most hunters have bushcraft and stealth on their side.
And their AKs most likely are fully automatic...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu