Went to the Church

Lungpopper

GLASS,GLASS,GLASS
Staff member
Mar 2, 2011
Lakeside
schoutdoors.com
We started planning for this trip in December. 6F34CAB5-9F7C-4B96-9003-E0B921968136.jpegAn adventure with the chance to kill some Deer and possibly some Elk.
First day we split into 2 groups. Kellendv, and Truduct went one way. My buddy Vic and I went another. It was hot. So we headed for the higher grounds in hopes to find some animals. We climbed 3,600’ in 5 1/2 miles on the first day and saw 1 newer deer track. 76E6FC2E-9860-400E-B08A-9E8303F06A71.jpegNext day we covered 7 1/2 miles. All the sign that we saw was old so we decided to head to lower elevation the next morning.
On the way back down we got a message from Kellendv that he had killed an elk 7 miles from base camp. They got into camp at 1am with full packs. D2A2C17D-6F40-456B-94BF-7B7FF368F929.jpegThe next day we all made the trek out to recover the rest of the elk and their spike camp. After 14 miles and 1/2 of that with some HEAVY packs I decided to take it easy the next day and went fishing. C5531954-B36B-4EED-9DA9-2A5F24B0267B.jpegThat evening Kellendv shot a buck not to far from camp. An easy 20 minute pack for him and Truduct and it was back in camp.
Saw some does the next day but the bucks didn’t want to play. Last day I decided to walk down river. 4 miles down and I spot a small buck on the other side of the river. D141BBC1-B2CE-4D1F-8170-85CA85B080FE.jpeg
Kaboom. Buck down. Smallest buck I have shot. He has a ton of memories to go with him 7E19C21C-C33A-462E-8D04-304F76261937.png

Last edited:
Congrats Darryl, Sometimes you gotta take what the land offers you. I'm sure it wasn't your lack of effort.
Fred. We all did close to 80 miles of hiking in there. As a group we saw a total of 5 legal animals and killed 3 of them. Going in the kill rate was less than 20% so I think we did pretty good for the odds.

Well done guys. Quite an adventure for sure. 80 miles is not for the faint of heart. Great pics too! The country looks amazing!

Reactions: Lungpopper
Fred. We all did close to 80 miles of hiking in there. As a group we saw a total of 5 legal animals and killed 3 of them. Going in the kill rate was less than 20% so I think we did pretty good for the odds.
Congrat's Darryl, You knew what you were up against when you went in. Nothing is a gimme anymore in the west. Before my knees started to go south I hunted a unit in east Az that was less than that success wise but you could draw every year but went in knowing it was bad odds but I managed to tag out every time and get my wife her first and my buddy Henry his first cow. I would get on the ground every morning and walk all day using gps to get me back to the truck all day every day and then go back to town and do it again the next day for seven days before the hunt started. I have no idea how many miles I walked but I hardly ever stopped moving and I saw a lot of nothing in between. It did not come easy as I spent the week before the hunt on the ground (nothing like the terrain you faced) walking. Once again congrats and you still had fun so it's all good. Memories are way better that the meat you bring home.

Reactions: Lungpopper
Congratulations to you and everyone else that took game, you have any pics of the other animals. I bet it was a fun hunt for sure that country up there is like no other I have heard.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu