What a day..

Dawnandusk

Sep 26, 2018
Bonita
I will try to make a long story short. Or as short as I can.
I decided to take the day off and go hunting today, so I woke up very early and took off solo to a place I e-scouted based on a comment we heard last Saturday from someone driving down the road where Robert and I were hunting.
I have never been there before and I didn't know what I was going to find once I arrived, but what the guy said made perfect sense.
Let me tell you something, the trip alone was not for the faint of heart. The road has suffered from our recent rains, like every road in the county. It is very narrow and the climb was steep. My recent acquisition is a 2003 Ford Ranger 2WD that I am fixing up. I thought I was not going to make it but I did.
I had marked on my OnX a point where I was going to park and then hike. I got there by the break of dawn. Looked out and found myself on top of a ridge and with no signs of paths going down to the bottom, close to the creek. As soon as I stepped out of the truck I heard a gobble... Are you kidding me??? I thought, I got to get down there quickly!!! I loaded up my shotgun and headed down the road trying to find a way to the area where that gobbler was. I walked a two hundred yards down the road and I headed in. I started making progress and found out that the poison oak was as told as me and I had to go through if I wanted to keep getting close to that gobbler. It was dark under those huge trees, and all of the sudden something small moves around 4 feet away. I stopped and looked, I saw two small eyes and a white strip that went from the head to the tail of this super scared creature... YES!!! SKUNK!!! Slowly I walked back and so did he. Probably it was the first time he has seen such a living creature (me). Not finding any other way to make it through the dense poison oak and dead branches and bushes, I decided to turn around and find another route. I walked the road back up the hill. Not being able to find a way down and afraid of loosing that tom, I started walking down the side of the soft hill through yucas and bushes not knowing what I was going to come across. Once down there I found myself surrounded by poison oak. I walked through it and sat down trying to recover from such a dive. I made a few calls and nothing, no signs of the gobbler that welcomed me to the neighborhood earlier. I am sitting there and all of the sudden my phone starts to make a weird sound, I knew I had place it in mute so WTF!!! Some how the phone dialed 911, yes 911!!! So then, I didn't know if they piked up a call as if I was on distress or what and if they were going to be calling my wife asking where I was!!! I calmed down and thought, whatever... if they show up at least they will help me to get out of this hell hole!!!
I couldn't seal the deal. That tom will live another day. He didn't want to show up for his appointment with our Creator. The place has birds, that I know, but I will have to take my time and make a path for next season so I can go down the mountain and then get out safely. That was another experience, getting out of that creek was extremely difficult. The bushes and poison oak were pulling me down at every step I took.
Like always... It was a great day in the outdoors.
ps: make sure your pot call works when it is moist or wet, I found out that mine does not.

Last edited:
Very good day to choose for getting out in the field. No one out there today and shortly after some rain. I also took the day to go for a Tom but I ended up doing more Fall scouting than Spring Turkey (never saw a track or got a gobble return to my slate call).
Great weather! May even put out a few game cameras if I can get out for turkey again before Sunday.

I hate it when that happens. I once had an opportunity to hunt a private ranch but was offered little time to properly scout. We did find an are where toms were strutting around several hens. We glassed the area and found what appeared to be a good path to the area we would put our set-up. We arrived the next Moring around four AM and worked our way in, put out our decoys and went back to wait for them to hopefully come running to our calls. We heard the fly down just before sunrise and waited. Just as planned they came into our decoys and Kapow, down goes Tom, down goes Tom. We waited a few mins. to see if the other birds would return to find out what happened to their Boss. When we finally went to retrieve my prize, we noticed we had put our set-up dead in the middle of a patch of poison oak. I saw my friend a few days latter and while the poison had no effect on me the same could not be said for him. Not only him but he washed him camo outfit when he got home and his wife suffered the same fate. On the other hand, It was a damn fine Boss Tom.

I hate it when that happens. I once had an opportunity to hunt a private ranch but was offered little time to properly scout. We did find an are where toms were strutting around several hens. We glassed the area and found what appeared to be a good path to the area we would put our set-up. We arrived the next Moring around four AM and worked our way in, put out our decoys and went back to wait for them to hopefully come running to our calls. We heard the fly down just before sunrise and waited. Just as planned they came into our decoys and Kapow, down goes Tom, down goes Tom. We waited a few mins. to see if the other birds would return to find out what happened to their Boss. When we finally went to retrieve my prize, we noticed we had put our set-up dead in the middle of a patch of poison oak. I saw my friend a few days latter and while the poison had no effect on me the same could not be said for him. Not only him but he washed him camo outfit when he got home and his wife suffered the same fate. On the other hand, It was a damn fine Boss Tom.
PICTURES ???

• Wow
Reactions: Dawnandusk
Fabian,

That sucks but at least you got a spot with some solid gobbles to try again... the wet conditions do wreak havoc on pot and box calls. For that reason I try and work on my mouth calls a lot and keep my other calls in ziplocs if it'll be wet.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Fabian,

That sucks but at least you got a spot with some solid gobbles to try again... the wet conditions do wreak havoc on pot and box calls. For that reason I try and work on my mouth calls a lot and keep my other calls in ziplocs if it'll be wet.
Jason,
I do the same. I keep the pot call in a ziplock bag, but it was so cold and humid that the moisture developed on the slate right away. My box call worked fine though.

Fabian,
Great write up! Were you fortunate enough to keep the poison oak off your skin? Had it on my arm last year... nasty stuff.

Fabian,
Great write up! Were you fortunate enough to keep the poison oak off your skin? Had it on my arm last year... nasty stuff.
No luck there Phil,
Because my pants got wet the oil went through so I have burning spots mostly on my left leg. Also I dried the sweat off my face with my arm and transferred the oil from my shirt but it is not burning anymore.

No luck there Phil,
Because my pants got wet the oil went through so I have burning spots mostly on my left leg. Also I dried the sweat off my face with my arm and transferred the oil from my shirt but it is not burning anymore.
There was a 3 inch long poisen sumac and I sat next to got on my hand and arm..
Normally I need a shot at the doc's ..
But this time I washed down with soap and water. In the shower. Lol.
And used witch hazel with alcohol..
Kept applying and it killed the itching.
And took time but killed it..
3-4 weeks to totally get rid of it..
If it spread and it's bad go to the doc
Right away...

When I asked my Dr. why my friend was effected and not me. He said some people are allergic to the urushiol and some are not. But he also said as we get older that can change.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Do NOT put slate or glass calls in zip locks....Buy pot call carriers...Lots of different kinds, but 2 favorites are the ones the fit snugly around the call (neoprene)….This carries/cover has a built scratch pad....The other is a little more elaborate….Zippered with little components.

Do NOT put slate or glass calls in zip locks....Buy pot call carriers...Lots of different kinds, but 2 favorites are the ones the fit snugly around the call (neoprene)….This carries/cover has a built scratch pad....The other is a little more elaborate….Zippered with little components.
Explain why Steve..
I use zip lock bags for all my stuff Xtra protection from rain or what not. But the again I don't own a slate
Which is polished rock. Lol
With wood.
Are you worried about condensation..

Lee,

Yes, it's the condensation that plastic bags can create....Hence, why they make pot call accessories....Surface must stay clean & dry.

I suppose in a pouring rain it would be OK to use a plastic bag....Probably wouldn't be using any pot calls anyway.

ps....I do use zip locks for lots of other stuff though.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu