What distance to pattern upland gun?

Dave3006

Nov 26, 2019
I shoot a 20g 28” Montefeltro with 7 shot steel shells at 1325fps. I want to compare my IC and M chokes.

The gun will only be used for dove and quail.

What distance would you do this at?

From my experience, 25-30 yds is a good distance for an upland gun...I shoot a Benelli M-2, 20 gauge mostly...Steel 7's seem to be the ideal shot size for small soft feathered birds, like dove & quail...The only choke I ever use is the Benelli factory modified (turkeys excepted) for upland or waterfowl hunting.

I think this is one of the most over thought out processes there is...2 cents.

Last edited:
Dave3006, I have the same gun. 30 yards is what I have pattered all my guns. Shooting Steel 7’s it didn’t really show that much difference in Mod or IM. IMO shooting steel at more then 50 yards leads to too many cripples whether your shooting dove/quail loads or waterfowl loads. Not to say that those shell won’t kill outside that range, especially some of the hopped up non toxic shot that’s out there.
But for me I want them as close as I can get em, 20 yards is perfect! Sitting on the water or field at 15 is even better !!
Lol !!

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu