What does your ultimate long range hunting rifle build look like?

My ultimate hunting rifle would be a 270SS or 7SS not sure which, shooting something in the 175-180 grain Berger. Probably a 22” barrel (carbon). My favorite stock would be a gunwerks Clyer however I would bed the action rather than their V block design. Optics choice I really don’t know. Weight would be the biggest problem. Maybe something like a ZCO 4-20, Khales or ATACR. The new NXS4-20 looks cool, and I do enjoy my Leopold 3-18. Of course it would need a quality break to tame the recoil.

Reactions: NBK and TRICER
My ultimate hunting rifle would be a 270SS

I want to see something shooting the Heavy Berger’s in this caliber. Definitely would need to be a bullet specific gun but with that throat you should be able to shoot The heaviest hammers as well.

I want to see something shooting the Heavy Berger’s in this caliber. Definitely would need to be a bullet specific gun but with that throat you should be able to shoot The heaviest hammers as well.
With regards to the hammers.. my rem mag is shooting the 155 cutting edge very well. Pretty happy with them

Reactions: TRICER and NBK
I am gonna load the 155s for my 280AI as well. Gonna be putting the 308 215HH and the 264 124HH to work on some pigs this weekend.

What are you using to push the 215HH? I've been thinking about getting a 300 PRC to push that bullet at elk.

What are you using to push the 215HH? I've been thinking about getting a 300 PRC to push that bullet at elk.
I'm curious as well. I've loaded up some 308 166HH for 30-06, but I'm limited with a 1:10 twist. Hoping the range opens soon to finish load development.

I am not shooting the 215s. @BBH is shooting them out of his custom FFA 30 Nosler somewhere around 3100FPS. You can’t shoot something too dead. Should be pretty spectacular to watch.

I am shooting my FFA 260 Rem. It will be my first time seeing the hammers in action. No doubt they will do the trick as long as we do our job.

Are you inquiring on what powder?

I wanted to know what 30 cal cartridge, because I am looking at that bullet for my future elk / moose rifle. Basically I can't choose between 300 WM, 30 Nosler, 300 PRC...too many good choices.

I wanted to know what 30 cal cartridge, because I am looking at that bullet for my future elk / moose rifle. Basically I can't choose between 300 WM, 30 Nosler, 300 PRC...too many good choices.

All three are good ones. 300 WSM should be a good one too!

300WSM is a great cartridge, I watched a 180TTSX wreak a ton of havoc on a bull 2 years ago out of a 300wsm. It’s also a common cartridge now so if you need it pretty much everyone has it.

I am not a huge fan of the giant magnums for lower 48 hunting. They are great for extreme long range stuff and high wind but when it comes to killing animals there are a lot of calibers that can put a bull down under 700 yards 300WSM is definitely one of those. Not to mention big magnums are not fun in light guns and they are a lot harder to build in a light gun as well. If I had to get a big magnum it would be the 28NOS and I would shoot the Berger 195 Ballistically it can’t be beat. I would have to order it with 2 barrels because I shoot to much and don’t have the patience to wait for another one.

When I eventually go to Alaska I will be packing a 300wsm, 300wm or a 338WM. Kind of like the 338WM since a 308 isn’t a giant step up from a 7mm which I am currently building. Plus if needed 338wm with a 250g pill makes me sleep a lot better when it comes to brown bears.

Also don’t rule out the 7mm RM that cartridge is incredible and available at every gas station across this country and most others.

Just my .02

Last edited:
Reactions: Morgan1776
Too many good options...which is great for us. However I moved on from the 300 WSM since it won't push the heavier 30 cal bullets at the speed I would like and I would rather have a 7mm cartridge if I am shooting 150-180 gr bullets.

That podcast you recommended has me considering 338 WM as well. I've shot my buddies a few times (barnes 225 gr ttsx without a muzzle break) and it sure does give a good thump but definitely not off limits.

I am entertaining moose hunts for next year and as of right now I like the idea of sending a 199 or 215 HH at it with ~2900 fps muzzle velocity, which would still allow me to have that G7 BC ~0.3.

I would shoot the Berger 195 Ballistically it can’t be beat.

I love these threads. The old "what's the best hunting cartridge" debate lives on!!!

I ran the numbers over and over between the 28 NOS and the 30 NOS and they both had some advantages. For me, the 30 NOS is a more effective cartridge on game due to the bullet weight, mass and diameter advantage.

We have smoked 11 or so elk with the 30 NOS in the past 4 years (between Lungpopper, JP and myself). The big 30 has been very efficient on game out to 800 yards. Someone needs to build a 28 NOS so we can compare notes... @Truduct ???

Reactions: TRICER
30NOS is an incredible cartridge. @Lungpopper cold bore 1k shot with a 23mph crosswind is a testimony to that. Large frontal diameter, heavy bullets, and high velocity. It’s a recipe for death. It’s a beast but for what I do hunting I don’t have the need for it. Not to say I won’t build one I don’t have a need for most of my guns but that doesn’t stop me. I just can’t imagine packing one of them around it would probably spend time in my safe while I grabbed more of a finesse caliber in a lighter build.

28NOS I also have no experience with, but research and ballistics show it is really hard to beat. I am to skinny for the big guns. Hints why I have shot everything for the past 5 years with a 260 REM. This 280AI I am building is a monster in my eyes and should do everything I need it to do as long as I do what I need to do.

below is a .284 195 Berger going 3050 I think you could push them faster but this is a believable velocity. 10mph crosswind.
7ABFA684-13D8-4893-B4E0-627D404C1238.png
below is a 308 220g Berger going 2970fps.
EF10FA85-21A2-478E-B2EE-3EF4725E5802.png
Very equal cartridges and again I don’t know anyone shooting animals that far. They are both incredible. The 28 starts beating up on the 30 once they hit 1000 when you get to 1200 it makes its move. @NBK what velocity are you pushing the 220 Berger?

Last edited:
Its july!! Any details on this game changing bipod?? Would love to have some details before I go by some shooting sticks
Rumor has it there will be a new Hunting company launching with 3 new patented products before the end of the month. I can’t confirm or deny anything. I don't want to spoil the big reveal.

Rumor has it there will be a new Hunting company launching with 3 new patented products before the end of the month. I can’t confirm or deny anything. I don't want to spoil the big reveal.
@Truduct the suspense is killing me! I can't wait to find out about this new company and it's products!

Reactions: TRICER

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu