What does your ultimate long range hunting rifle build look like?

I have to agree with Lungpopper that there may not be one perfect gun for all LR situations. Copper and lead projectiles play a role. I am still putting some thought into this.

With that said, everyone has a different idea of long range hunting distances. So for practical conversation purposes, lets say 750 yards or less. It is one thing shooting a gong but for me, game animals deserve a quick and humane expiration.

Now let's break some guns down!

Reactions: Smokey58
I agree with the 750 mark. Things get real when you hit the 1/4 mile mark which is about 450 yards. With the Hammers and cutting edge 750 is very doable with copper. Wind is always the X factor. Anyone can dial up elevation with a range finder but reading the wind at 600-1000 yards is whole another level.

Reactions: NBK
Assuming game up moose, elk, caribou and smaller I am thinking I probably build the rifle around a 28 Nosler with a 1-8" twist for those those 177 hammers.

I really like those proof sendaro light barrels (probably 24" for hunting) with a good brake.

I like the Gunwerks stocks that you can order for your length of pull.

for optics I like the 3ish-18 range and would probably end up choosing a VX6HD or Mark 5HD with a tally mount

It would have an adapter for my spartan pro hunt bipod

For the action, I really like sako style but I am not picky....and I would want a ~2lb crisp trigger but I am not picky on which one.

ideally I would like all in (without bipod attached) to come in just at 8 lb or a little under.

Reactions: TRICER
Assuming game up moose, elk, caribou and smaller I am thinking I probably build the rifle around a 28 Nosler with a 1-8" twist for those those 177 hammers.

I really like those proof sendaro light barrels (probably 24" for hunting) with a good brake.

I like the Gunwerks stocks that you can order for your length of pull.

for optics I like the 3ish-18 range and would probably end up choosing a VX6HD or Mark 5HD with a tally mount

It would have an adapter for my spartan pro hunt bipod

For the action, I really like sako style but I am not picky....and I would want a ~2lb crisp trigger but I am not picky on which one.

ideally I would like all in (without bipod attached) to come in just at 8 lb or a little under.
After reading what everyone said I was thinking 28 Nosler as well, sounds like some good choices on your part.

Reactions: JakeSCH
After reading what everyone said I was thinking 28 Nosler as well, sounds like some good choices on your part.

the other cartridge(s) I would consider would be 300 WM since you can find ammo anywhere or a 300 PRC.

I don’t think you could go wrong with any of them.

Reactions: TRICER
the other cartridge(s) I would consider would be 300 WM since you can find ammo anywhere or a 300 PRC.

I don’t think you could go wrong with any of them.
Don’t rule out the 7mm Rem Mag you can find the stuff anywhere in the world and it will stay ethically lethal way further than I choose to shoot game.

28 Nos is probably the king of long range hunting cartridges right now. As long as you don’t mind burning barrels go for it. If I did a Nosler it would be the 28. I would want to throat it for the 177 Hammers and the 195 Berger’s.

300wm is another phenomenal cartridge it can keep up with the big boys all day. And it is available everywhere. We get so caught up in fancy cartridges but the 300wm is a proven killer for nearly 60 years.

Don’t rule out the 7mm Rem Mag you can find the stuff anywhere in the world and it will stay ethically lethal way further than I choose to shoot game.

28 Nos is probably the king of long range hunting cartridges right now. As long as you don’t mind burning barrels go for it. If I did a Nosler it would be the 28. I would want to throat it for the 177 Hammers and the 195 Berger’s.

300wm is another phenomenal cartridge it can keep up with the big boys all day. And it is available everywhere. We get so caught up in fancy cartridges but the 300wm is a proven killer for nearly 60 years.
All you said for sure...

The .284 caliber is a winner for sure. But if you are looking for horsepower the magnum 30's go unrivaled. I shot 7mm's for a decade and they were always quite impressive. In my myopic view though, the 30 caliber has been a light switch on game for me regarding efficiency and lethality. With todays bullets though, who really knows.

With that being said, I am in the midst of building another .284 caliber rifle. And not a magnum. This rifle will be built for precise bullet placement with an expectation of 750 yards on in. It will be in the 7.25# weight category all in with scope etc. But - it is not my ultimate long range rifle. Well, I least I don't think it is. The main driver is cutting some weight. It will also most likely live on a copper diet regarding projectiles. So for California, it could be the main rig.

Funny thing is, I am most confidant with my 6.5 SAUM shooting the 140 Berger Elite Hunters. Every game animal I have shot with this caliber/Berger combo has fallen right where it stood out to 525 yards. I have shot animals further with it using the Hornady ELD-X but those bullets just didn't perform as well terminally. They did do their job though.

Right now my favorite is my SAUM and it is my go to for sure. Accurate as heck, horsepower to 800 yards, no recoil, shoots flat and knocks game down with authority. Not a bad combo.

Just put a new Leupold Mark 5 on the SAUM. Same gun with a slight upgrade in glass.

20200428_203431.jpg

Reactions: JakeSCH and TRICER
I forgot one important very important aspect.

A good backcountry rifle needs a good bipod. Something that is lightweight fits in your pocket and can adjust from 6 inches to 5 feet tall. A bipod that can handle any situation that the backcountry throws at it. Wether it’s shooting prone on a rock, on your knees in tall grass, or standing and shooting over a bush.

More details on where to get this game changing bipod coming in June! But here is a teaser of that bipod and my build.
View attachment 43799
Here is what a real stock looks like.BBA1DD42-7121-43AC-B074-C68575879E55.jpegEAD4EB15-6986-48FF-A593-4B624FE863CD.jpeg

Looks good. What’s the total weight? What caliber? I am really liking the Tikka platform build versatility. What bottom Metal?
Thank you! It’s still in pieces I have not put it on a scale yet. It’s a .300wsm. The bottom metal is made by AtlasWorx.

Rundown on my go to elk rig

Bighorn SR3
Proof 30 cal 1-9.25 twist
3 port brake
McMillan Game Warden / with edge fill
Wyatts box magazine
Jewell trigger / set at 2 pounds
20 MOA rail
Seekins precision rings
Bushnell LRHSi 4.5x18
Vortex level
Weighs in at 9 pounds 6 ounces

All work was done by Fine Firearms
Chambered for 30 Nosler / throated for the Berger 215 hybrid target. Spits them out at 3090 FPS. 8864759B-3FF4-4670-9D93-1445062EB3F1.jpegE0E68469-323B-4A93-90DE-D43EB686EE4F.png

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu