What in the heck is this?????

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
I am not a spider expert. This Bad Johnson was in my dogs kennel (Dieter). Dieter had it in his mouth and spit it out when I went out to see what all of the commotion was about.

This dude was the size of a silver dollar. I let it go out in the back part of the property. What say you?

Attachments

• Spider.jpg
    Spider.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 81
  • Spider1.jpg
    Spider1.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 74
Saw a spider like that not to long ago. Put a stick down towards it and it jumped and attacked the stick with its fangs. That spider didn't live much longer after that. End of story.

Lungpopper said:
Saw a spider like that not to long ago. Put a stick down towards it and it jumped and attacked the stick with its fangs. That spider didn't live much longer after that. End of story.

Did you shoot it with your .338 Win Mag?

NBK said:
Lungpopper said:

Did you shoot it with your .338 Win Mag?
Haha
That's a tarantula, isn't it? A friend of mine found one in his garage years ago. Had it in a small box, with the top open, for a few days before letting it go. Afterward he learned that they can jump pretty well. That freaked him out. Too funny.

I thought it was a tarantula but it had no hair. My dog was going to eat it!

We use to get one's like that in Harbison Canyon but they were brown. Those were Sun spiders. May be something like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

That's a California Trapdoor Spider. Fairly rare. The males come out in the first rain to search for mates.
http://nathistoc.bio.uci.edu/spiders/Bothriocyrtum%20californicum.htm
http://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.asp?identification=California-Trapdoor-Spider

msteiger said:
That's a California Trapdoor Spider. Fairly rare. The males come out in the first rain to search for mates.
http://nathistoc.bio.uci.edu/spiders/Bothriocyrtum%20californicum.htm
http://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.asp?identification=California-Trapdoor-Spider

Yep - that was him. My wife just called Dieter a trap door retriever. ;D

That is so weird that you posted that. I found the same spider last night. I took a picture and let it be.

Attachments

• 20141202_202002.jpg
    20141202_202002.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 42
Did I just read you let it go….

FAAAAAAAAHHHK THAT

you can have all of my NOPES

can you let me know about where you live so I can ensure I stay way the hell away from there…

I had a Tarantula crawl across my boot at FHL the first time I hunted in CA after leaving WA

almost shot my boot off with my 7 mag...

BuckHunter said:
That is so weird that you posted that. I found the same spider last night. I took a picture and let it be. Can't post pics to the site from my phone though.
[
/quote]

I just saw one this mourning in my drive way ether lots of them around or DFG is planting them

msteiger said:
You can never know the true measure of a man until you've seen him walk through a spiderweb at night.

Bwaa haa haa haa haa! too funny
OH yeh sun spiders look nothing like one of those.
when we were kids my cousin and I used to catch them all the time over in Casa De Oro.

msteiger said:
You can never know the true measure of a man until you've seen him walk through a spiderweb at night.

Very common occurrence while frog hunting at night.......Still spooks me........lol

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu