What type of dog is ideal for so cal hunting?

Upfront, I don't hunt ducks.

But for upland game I would encourage anyone to look at Llewellin Setters. Especially those with Humphrey's in their pedigree. I have never had a need or an inclination to spend any money on 'trainers'. My dog was coached in 'whoa' for less than four lessons. He learned not to chase planted birds in less than 10 pigeons.

Last time we were out at a planted bird farm after a successful day he got up from our rest and sniffed. After a minute of this, testing the air, he looked at me and wagged telling me, 'got one more for you boss'. I followed him to a spot that was 600 yards away and sure enough a chukar was bunched under a sage bush. After I shot it his retrieve and victory dance was something I will never forget.

I am very partial to seeing a gorgeous dog on a point. After thinking more than a bit about it, I hunt for the point not really birds.

I know my GSP, despite being super energetic is the best dog I've ever owned. Rarely uses a leash, walks at heel, etc. Just wish I had gotten one sooner.

1987543f7b145b9ce8c6d8a142996c8c.jpg
ed9da7a55f98fc6a256b23c5366556d3.jpg

Confession: I might have been looking for an excuse to show her off.

I did a quail hunt in Georgia a few months ago where Boykin Spaniels where the goto for flushing and retrieval. They had a great personality, worked hard and were (so the trainers said) great family dogs.

Love my mut! 100 bucks, YouTube and fowldawgs got me one hell of duck dog!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Cant go wrong with most of the hunting breeds if you find a good breeder who cares.

Here's the jagds fur to feathers to ground

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=enfzYl-tiRc

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu