Whats on your calendar?

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
What is on every ones calendar for this season? I have a new baby in the house as of last week so I scaled my hunts back this season. There will still be blood shed with a total of 5 deer tags and 2 Jav tags this fall between me and the boys from now until December.

I am going to bow hunt the 16 on the opener, I have a x zone bear and deer tag mid September, general rifle in the 16 with my boy late October, the boys have AZ deer and javelina tags Thanksgiving week, and I am going on a goose hunt in Sac mid December. I will more than likely make a run down to AZ in January as well to chase deer and Jav with my bow but it all depends on how momma is feeling with the baby. I married a keeper so I should get the green light.

Definitely bummed to not be chasing elk this year but I will make up for it next season. I am sure I will spend a few mornings in the refuge and some time chasing quail as well.

AZ. for the dove opener. Then maybe one more dove hunt. Then it's wait for quail opener. In Oct. I'm going back to Wisconsin for whitetail and Grouse, might even get a line wet and see id I can't get a few walleye.

Reactions: TRICER
Congrats on the baby!

I hear you about marrying a keeper! My wife lets me hunt / fish a ton while she watches the 3 and 1 year olds. Her only requirement is that I am successful more often than not because she prefers wild game because it is lean.

I have a couple of ocean trips planned (next Friday and mid October), then I will be in Colorado chasing cow elk the first week in September (3 days with a bow and if no success I am going to bust out my rifle for the last couple of days), going up to the X-zone with a buddy to chase bear in early October and then general 14 / 16.

well within the last 6 months my life has changed. longtime gf moved out so now im co parenting. sad news but this opens alot of calendar space and i can plan thing ahead. with that being said these are my plans.

-A22 opening weekend- laguna/julian spots
-scout/still hunt palomar
-try san felipe WA for yotes.
-bday december javelina extended weekend trip
-jan coues by the border weekends

lots have changed since last season. my bow is dead on. hitting cotten tail at 40-50. gear is right on. could use some boots. might head up to bass pro and see what i can find and looking at upgrading my pack. as far as hunting. ive really honed in on what you must do to stay quite and look for sign.

I feel like i will drop some meat this year.
good luck fellas.

Bow and rifle local (A22 and D16). Basically hunt from Sept 7th through Dec 31 with the exception of about 2 weeks (Weekends mostly and some weekday mornings/evenings with an occasional mid week day).
8 day LR fishing trip early Oct
Jan bow hunt for deer in AZ (1 whole week and some weekends as well)

That should cover it...

Reactions: TRICER
Congrats Drew...How many is that now?...lol

Leaving for Montana next Sunday....Upland opens Sept. 1 (grouse, huns, sharpies)..Sept 11th, Head for Canada...Back to Montana on the 26th (hope to get an archery deer tag)...Sept. 28th, Montana waterfowl opener...Oct. 12th...Montana pheasant opener...Probably come back for Cali duck opener, Oct. 19th...Oct. 26th for the "16" opener...Play out the fowl season...Would like to team up with you guys for an Arizona javie hunt.

I’m going for doves, d14 rifle, and ducks.
It would be cool to get a quail and rabbit hunt in on a free weekend.

Congrats Drew...How many is that now?...lol

Leaving for Montana next Sunday....Upland opens Sept. 1 (grouse, huns, sharpies)..Sept 11th, Head for Canada...Back to Montana on the 26th (hope to get an archery deer tag)...Sept. 28th, Montana waterfowl opener...Oct. 12th...Montana pheasant opener...Probably come back for Cali duck opener, Oct. 19th...Oct. 26th for the "16" opener...Play out the fowl season...Would like to team up with you guys for an Arizona javie hunt.
We now have 5 kiddos in the house. My 8 year old daughter is talking about hunting pretty excited to get her her hunters ed. I am basically a full time guide now. Taking the 6 year old up to Cuyamaca tomorrow mid morning gonna try and knock the crappie around a bit.
I am excited for your Canada Montana trip I love living vicariously through that hunt each year. Your play by plays are always a hit.

Bear Tag - D11
just doing day hunts for that during its Bow season, then day hunts or overnighters with rifle after deer season

D15 Tag
1 week PTO during Bow season and if that doesn't get it 1 week PTO during Rifle season

Bobcat Tag
takes me clear into Feb. I blew it first year I tried, one was 10yds from me when I finally stood up, so gotta try to make good on that mistake.

And this year got an Upland Game stamp.
Figured I'd try my hand at getting the Quail that I see in this D11 Coyote spot. Never taken anything with a shotgun before so should be fun. I've had all kinds of opportunity to snipe the Quail with .17 HMR while out there, but it's not legal method of take for whatever the bleep reason, and I don't want any trouble, so haven't done it. I've literally walked up to within 10 feet of Quail out there, and them not spooking/ knowing I was there until a few seconds later. And I LOVE the taste of Quail so I figured I owe it to myself to at least try.

Trying to get my boy up to speed on his new bow. Need to strengthen his shoulders first so he can hold steady at full draw before the shops put on his peep sight. So they can for sure pick the right spot to install it at, and not be off in marking it from his shaking while holding at draw.

Also getting the boy into surf-fishing ocean fishing and me revisiting ocean fishing after about 25 years of being away from it.

Last edited:
Bear Tag - D11
just doing day hunts for that during its Bow season, then day hunts or overnighters with rifle after deer season

D15 Tag
1 week PTO during Bow season and if that doesn't get it 1 week PTO during Rifle season

Bobcat Tag
takes me clear into Feb. I blew it first year I tried, one was 10yds from me when I finally stood up, so gotta try to make good on that mistake.

And this year got an Upland Game stamp.
Figured I'd try my hand at getting the Quail that I see in this D11 Coyote spot. Never taken anything with a shotgun before so should be fun. I've had all kinds of opportunity to snipe the Quail with .17 HMR while out there, but it's not legal method of take for whatever the bleep reason, and I don't want any trouble, so haven't done it. I've literally walked up to within 10 feet of Quail out there, and them not spooking/ knowing I was there until a few seconds later. And I LOVE the taste of Quail so I figured I owe it to myself to at least try.

Trying to get my boy up to speed on his new bow. Need to strengthen his shoulders first so he can hold steady at full draw before the shops put on his peep sight. So they can for sure pick the right spot to install it at, and not be off in marking it from his shaking while holding at draw.

Also getting the boy into surf-fishing ocean fishing and me revisiting ocean fishing after about 25 years of being away from it.
oh nice I fogot to add bear tag. thinking around x9a, d14 or d8.

First of all, congratulations on the new baby.
I drew a G13 and bought a D16. Also got a bobcat tag, just in case.
I am going to bow hunt on September for a buck and then rifle in November for doe and buck if I don;t get lucky and kill my buck in September.
If SDLIVING plan works out, I will be heading with him and others to Arizona for my first OTC deer. Never been out of D16 yet.
Unfortunately, work will make me loose the bow opener on September and the weekend of Nov 24th. But you will find me on the woods during the week for sure.
I will go after dove during the first week on September, can't do the opener cause of my niece birthday party, and you DO NOT miss a nice birthday party, right? ;)
That is pretty much what I have planned so far. Let's see how it works out.
Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I married up as well... makes a world of difference. Deer season opens here in 6 days. I've set 7 blinds out in the last two days. Hot and dry... perfect storm. My daughters are ready for this... Coues Whitetails beware...
In September I'll be hunting Kodiak Island... 3 tags, 17 days door to door. Conditions couldn't be better.
I'm gonna do an offshore trip in early October when I deliver two Axis deer to San Diego.
In the middle of October ill be heading to Panama to help move a sportfishing yacht to Costa Rica... fishing the whole way.
At the end of October I'll be driving to North Dakota for a muley/whitey combo hunt. I got invited to hunt an Indian reservation... $200 deer tag.
From there I'll be heading to a buddy's place in Nebraska to fill the freezer with a few whitetail deer.
My daughters have javalina tags at the end of November.
If I don't fill my az tag... I'll be hunting giant muleys in the middle of December.
Then it starts all over again in January. Ed F

SoCal D zones in October and November. Intermission from D16 to go to Coues country in mid November. Back to AZ in December for a freezer filler (cow tag). Usually go to Texas in January, won’t know what’s on the menu until I get there. This should be the best quail year we’ve had for quite a while so I will be getting the Setters into the field as much as possible. They really hate birds. I was scouting for deer two weeks ago and came up on a bunch of tiny fuzzy chicks and their mom at a seep. This was in August... for sure not her first clutch. Would like to get a fowl hunt in up north again if I can schedule it with a buddy that lives there.

Congrats on the baby!

For me Dove in IV on the opener then bow/rifle hunt G10 then ducks in December and January. Wife has already said her goodbyes and ready for me to be hunting every weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu