Whats the rundown on cooking Wild Turkey?

180ls1

Nov 2, 2020
Poway
Since you all were so helpful on my other question regarding elk/deer I figured who better to ask regarding Turkey?

I have a couple breasted out birds that I want to cook (probably starting with 1 breast). The last one I smoked. It was marinated in a salt water and lemon brine came out pretty good. My absolute favorite was a whole bird we cooked over coals for 12hrs in Glamis about 4' deep under sand. It was covered in butter then wrapped in leaves and burlap but I dont have the yard space.

What should I try? I have 4 breasts.

Last Thanksgiving I did wild turkey breasts in the smoker. I injected them with a seasoned butter mixture and slathered with mayo and seasonings and into the smoker at 250 for a couple hours. Turned out awesome. The legs I do separately and usually do as tacos, braised or in the pressure cooker then pulled. My favorite are the heart, gizzards, and liver which get fried up the morning of the hunt with eggs and toast!

As this requires 24 hours in brine it will be useless for this thanksgiving. 1gal. veg. broth, 1 cup sea salt 1 tables spoon each ground sage( I use more than recipe calls for), rosemary, thyme, savory and really what ever else you like. Bring it all to a boil to dissolve salt. Let it cool to room temp before adding bird, if there is not enough broth to cover bird go ahead and add water and give it a stir. I use a 5 Gal. bucket with food grade liners, cover and put in frig. overnight. After brining, remove bird and rinse real good. Give it a light coat of veg. oil and salt and pepper as you like. I do mine on a weber. I start with 25 coals per side, you want indirect cooking. I use soaked hickory wood for smoking, each hour I add 8 coals per side until bird is ready. Let it sit for 15 mins before carving. I think brining the bird is the best way to do them, which ever recipe you use, it adds lots of moisture, especially to the white meat which can tend to be dry.

Reactions: 180ls1
Always looking for quality game recipes. Have you tried his and is it good? Mountain Dew, mustard, and rub...I don't know!

Know I haven't....Just sounded good to to me....Since, I love Mountain Dew & mustard.......... :joy:

Here's some recipes from NWTF

Its not really a Thanksgiving recipe but I sliced my wild turkey breast into strips and battered them and fried them then tossed them in Buffalo sauce. My wife loves hot strips so I made her some wild turkey hot strips for mothers day. She loved them.

View attachment 56803

View attachment 56804
If it tastes good it gets served! I love the a-typical recipes.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Today along with the traditional meal OF smoked turkey and fixins, I made a large batch of elk chili. Not sure how much turkey I'll be having. :)

Reactions: 180ls1
No help here...this is all that's left...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221123-202939.png
    Screenshot_20221123-202939.png
    335.9 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu