Where Am I Allowed to Hunt??

I do have the big game hunting regs, I'll go back and re-read them. I don't recall them covering things like state parks, etc.

I appreciate I'll have to get out there and there will be signs. I'm trying to do my homework before I get out there so I don't spend a day going places only to learn I can't hunt there. I have so little time to pre-scout I'm really trying to maximize it by being smart and e-scout as much as possible before hand.

I have not heard of the Ridge2Ridge podcast. I will check it out right now. Thank you!

I know it may seem like I'm some young kid with no clue. Sadly, I'm just an older guy (50) who is just getting into hunting and has a lot of (maybe stupid) questions. I'm sure in a year I'll look back on this and wonder what the hell I was thinking.
You can down load the digital version at the DF&W web page ..
I second that you read the whole book, also there is some guides on the DF&W about turkey's, Big Game, (Deer) , Pig, Duck (Upland hunting)
lot of good information to start.

You can down load the digital version at the DF&W web page ..
I second that you read the whole book, also there is some guides on the DF&W about turkey's, Big Game, (Deer) , Pig, Duck (Upland hunting)
lot of good information to start.
I downloaded and printed it out when I got my license earlier this year. I read it back then but I'll read it again tonight.

Yes there are different greens, and different yellows too. Just focus on BLM and National Forest. Around San Diego it's pretty much Cleveland National Forest, which is made up of many different chunks of land, and various BLM areas. Laguna Rec area is bow only but that is about the only area on plain National Forest that I can think of with restrictions like that. Wildlife areas are light green on Onx. For those areas you can google the area and there is a document for all of the regs. for each wildlife area. On most National Monuments hunting is still allowed, but again, search and you will find a page for the specific area with the activities they allow. There are a few game refuges in Southern California, they show up with a blue border, and they are off limits. I think you will find if you get out there that there is more NF and BLM than you can really do justice exploring in many many years of hunting. If you aren't sure, you better find out before you go. If you think you might be too close to a road or building, you probably are.
calif state parks are blue, federal and indian reservations have an off yellow too, must of NF is noticible green, mine does tell me it's public, D-16 or what ever zone you looking at.
mine use to tell me the recreation area was a restricted area, but it quit doing that after the update. so I canceled my subscription and uninstalled it on my phone. I will reinstall before deer hunting/scouting ….
I really must insist you should pick up a hard copy of Cleveland national forest map at the Ranger station..

My 1.5 cents, OnX is a cool app. Do not go souly on what it says..its an app. If you are not sure, dont hop that fence .

Hmm.. 4x4 on county land near Cuyamaca.. I have an inkling where that may be. If you want to PM me the coordinates I can verify :cool:.

But yeah, in SD County you're really limited to 3 types of land: CNF, BLM, and CDFW Areas. Everything else is permission only pretty much. Sounds like a drag (and it is, to some extent) but there's a wealth of public land in our backyard, if you have the time to get out and scout.

:joy::joy: Sadly, thanks to this forum, I have concluded that unless I can get access from a private land owner, those deer are gonna get old n fat.

Hence, when I say the right 40 acres of private is better than 4,000 of public....Scouting for permission isn't much different than scouting anything.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
RE: Cheeto - I don't like the guy on a personal/personality level... he rubs me very much the wrong way.... he's a bit of an idiot in terms of diplomacy. A little tact can go a loooong way sometimes.

But... I sincerely hope he, Trump, gets in there for 2020. Despite his douchey ways when he opens his mouth without a teleprompter... overall his decision process begins on a more sound bedrock of conservative principles that overall just plain works better.

Freaking every single one of those other Demoncrats are looney-birds, and they are all just parroting their own take on the Left's laundry-list of echo-chamber narrative items over in their camp.

It sincerely stresses me out a lil bit that there just might be enough people with their blind, victimization-mentality, rage-filled, assumed racial prejudice hate for Trump's persona... that these dufuses just might EFF around and somehow manage to become more unified and magically manage to pull off supporting a single candidate of theirs who somehow miraculously changes his tune enough that he/she appeals to enough people that just don't like Trump because he's Trump and a narcissistic douche.,, that they somehow manage to sneek their guy in under the radar. I never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

I feel pretty certain that they cannot win unless Cheeto pulls some really boneheaded maneuver. So at least there is that.

Not only do I hope he wins... I hope the Republican Party or the libertarian Party can come up with an even more suitable replacement for him to carry on the reparing processes he's begun undertaking in terms of undoing all the stupid isht that "Barry Sotero" sold Americans on.

Reactions: YETI

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu