Where are the turkey?

Gcddarren

Sep 23, 2014
Been three time this year, descanso, pine valley, and south of pine valley. No turkey, just called in the crows. Seen quail and deer, no turkeys. The only turkeys are on private land that we have seen.

I've seen some huge flocks lately on the edge of private land and heard a few less than 100 yards away on public that were fighting but I couldn't do anything about it because I was trying to quarter out my buck this from this year. Calling in Turkeys is more of a spring thing. I'm not saying you can't call them in the fall but it's hard to do. I'd say still hunt for them or find a high spot above oaks and glass for em or you can find the trails they use on public land and sit on them all day or just stumble across them while hunting something else. It's a lot harder to kill em in the fall as opposed to the spring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had 5 nice toms walk by at 20yrds sat morning. I couldn't get turned far enough to get on them so I watched them walk by. They are different bird in the Fall but they are easier to call in then in the spring. Just remember in the fall you can't use a hen call to bring in the Toms. They will respond to tom yelps well and usually gobbling will bringem in for a closer look.

just went out sunday off of eagle peak rd, put in some miles with the same results.
No turkey,no deer, talked to 8 hunters on the way out only game taken was one quail.
Then the wind really started blowin time to get out. Well if your not huntin your not trying!

I know there was at least one taken on one of the Lake Sutherland hunts......Also, one of the boys got this dinosaur with his bow yesterday (private prop)......11 1/2" beard......Called in while deer hunting with soft yelps.

Attachments

• IMG_9576.JPG
    IMG_9576.JPG
    509.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9577.JPG
    IMG_9577.JPG
    474 KB · Views: 22
Lots on private land around Santa Ysabel. Almost hit one as it flew across the road! Not sure where on public though. BTW good looking bird.

Going to go out to the Lake Henshaw area to scout and blindly hunt turkeys this Sunday. Thinking about Love Valley area. Has anyone ever been up there? Am I wasting my time? Should I just go to Descanso?

Gcddarren said:
Going to go out to the Lake Henshaw area to scout and blindly hunt turkeys this Sunday. Thinking about Love Valley area. Has anyone ever been up there? Am I wasting my time? Should I just go to Descanso?

Pretty much wasting your time.......I'm up there all the time and never seen a turkey in Love Valley......Around the general area, but never in it......Turkeys are having a tough time right now.

Got this big guy today......Owners wanted some turkey dinner for Thanksgiving...... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_9618.JPG
    IMG_9618.JPG
    694.3 KB · Views: 28
Thank you for the input on Love Valley, I think I will stick to Descanso or Pine Valley and give it another go. Any tips on the fall season?Should I buy a decoy?Any advice on calling?

Gcddarren said:
Thank you for the input on Love Valley, I think I will stick to Descanso or Pine Valley and give it another go. Any tips on the fall season?Should I buy a decoy?Any advice on calling?

Start practicing now. Your going to piss off everyone at your house. I have a long drive to work. I have beeb know to thrown a mouth call in befor

Gcddarren said:

Fall hunting is mostly a spot & stock thing. Or just being at the right place at the right time.....Kee kee runs can help (call of this years young) , if you break up a flock. Which is not very likely here in SD......Fall turkeys for the most part aren't that vocal once they hit the ground in the morning.

.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DE2XA6KbcNDM&ei=idduVNaUJcStyATm7oJI&usg=AFQjCNFDEAymWR5GDcJlrk_yEqcOdXhF0Q&sig2=zHXxYDwGgx5nGwJSKrarhg&bvm=bv.80185997,d.aWw

X2 with what sdbirds said practice a lot your gonna piss off everyone nearby don't practice on auctual birds where you hunt

Gcddarren said:

Lots of good YouTube videos on calling......If your hunting public land. Be careful with decoys. Especially any kind of tom decoy......Practice calling for the spring is fun......Start with a good box call (I like single sided Primos Box Cutters)......Slate or glass pot calls are good as well......Lots of good ones out there (I like Full Strut or Flydown custom calls. Both made here in SoCal)......Lastly, the diaphragm calls......A little harder to learn, but every good turkey hunter uses them. When turkeys are in close. It's our go to call.....Attend the spring turkey tune-up at San Vicente Reservoir......You'll learn a lot. Plus have a chance to hunt private property.

If you want to here the real deal and mimic real turkeys......Go to Lake Henshaw next to the café.....Me and the real guys and girls calling......lol

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWdrRDt_ljE

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu