Where to go for turkeys?

RedRiderF26

Jun 23, 2014
Hey everyone, new here. I want to be prepared for turkey season, ( i know its not til november ) and im definitely gonna go out for rabbits next month, but I just want to gather good info ahead of time... I live in southeast riverside county. Are there any good spots close to me with turkeys?

IMO:
No. There's nothing "close" to you that holds turkey. There are myths about "public" land birds near Lake Henshaw, but everything I've ever found in that area is barb wire fenced and heavily patrolled by DFG. You need to go north (like way north) or south. Turkey is very difficult. The ones who know where the turkey are will not tell you where the turkey are. Look around on the site. Google search "where to hunt turkey in Southern California". Learn the elevations they're found in and then look at everything around you. Most locations that once held turkeys no longer do. Even DFW has a publication on where to find turkey (outdated but at least it's a start). Good luck to you... I've been 3 times since starting hunting and found 2 females during the spring and tons of big toms sitting on private land. Just a hint, you MUST have a good GPS or maps if you plan on going south. There's tons of private land and lots of land owners who've dealt with unethical hunters hunting illegally and have zero tolerance for hunters playing dumb. Again, good luck.

welcome to the site... for a first post you got some great info there... what else do you hunt for?

Kk, I did see the DFW publication and it did show that there are established turkey populations in san diego so I thought that would be way better than heading all the way up north. .. I also plan on hunting rabbits and jacks, pigs, quail/ pheasant/ dove.

RedRiderF26 said:
Kk, I did see the DFW publication and it did show that there are established turkey populations in san diego so I thought that would be way better than heading all the way up north. .. I also plan on hunting rabbits and jacks, pigs, quail/ pheasant/ dove.

If you want to put the time in to scout areas around you, then East Riverside / San Diego county would be a more frequentable location than Central / North Cal. Do as much internet research as you can on the game you're after and you'll have a good group of locations to start checking out. Get out and hike around. Get off the beaten path. As you hike, keep an open eye for tracks of any kind. It'll tell you what's in the area. Most times when new hunters scout for turkey, they don't register other tracks/signs and it's almost like wasting your time. Scouting never ends for avid hunters. I scout my hunting locations and a new location once a week or as much as I can. Good luck... post up some pics once you start finding success.

There are plenty of birds on public land is SD county. A whole bunch get killed every spring.

In terms of fall hunting that will be tough hunting for sure. Generally the birds in SD get into winter flocks and from my experience those are on private property, but not all of them. Learn their patterns and you could have success.

There ARE public land birds around Henshaw. It is no secret. There are very huntable and accessible spots near there as well.

Elevation also does not play a factor in SD county from what I have seen. We have seen the birds in the sage down low as well as at the top of some of the mountains.

I am not sure why East Riverside county is being referenced.... That is the Colorado river. Birds in riverside county will be near the SD county border. I would consider that South Riverside county. Are there birds further north into riverside county? Yes. Grab a map and start scouting.

Do not give up on SD county or Riverside county. They are not all on private. In spring when they go into dispersal they show up all over the place! Turkeys are showing up more places now then they did 10 years ago. They are definitely expanding their range.

Thanks for the information Nicapopolis. As you can see RedRider26, nothing you read on the internet should be believed. There's always going to be someone with better information. Go find them gobblers and post up pictures of your success. Wish I had all this information earlier... maybe I wouldn't continually get skunked with all the experienced hunters I've gone with.

8SteelTown said:
Thanks for the information Nicapopolis. As you can see RedRider26, nothing you read on the internet should be believed. There's always going to be someone with better information. Go find them gobblers and post up pictures of your success. Wish I had all this information earlier... maybe I wouldn't continually get skunked with all the experienced hunters I've gone with.

I think turkey's were harder to figure out then yotes.

Which of these 4 maps should I get to find the public lands at cleveland forest around lake henshaw ? ???

http://www.nationalforestmapstore.com/product-p/ca-2.htm

http://www.nationalforestmapstore.com/product-p/ca-49.htm

http://www.nationalforestmapstore.com/product-p/ca-40.htm

http://www.nationalforestmapstore.com/product-p/ca-21.htm

The second link is the Atlas. It is ALL of CNF. The others are sections. I have the Atlas and the BLM maps. Don't know about the zone specific ones but the Atlas and BLM maps have served me pretty well. Can't go wrong with too many maps. I've found stuff on either map that wasn't easily seen on the other.

8SteelTown said:
The second link is the Atlas. It is ALL of CNF. The others are sections. I have the Atlas and the BLM maps. Don't know about the zone specific ones but the Atlas and BLM maps have served me pretty well. Can't go wrong with too many maps. I've found stuff on either map that wasn't easily seen on the other.
X2. I also use the topo atlas and BLM maps which are good. Then combine it with Google Earth and some good ol boots on the ground scouting.

Red Reyder,

Another good source of information is at the National Wild Turkey Assoc. website......sandiegoturkey.com......We have 2 turkey tune-ups during the year......Fall & spring.....Lots of info is given out on where to hunt on public land. We also raffle off hunts on the Lake Sutherland city property......Fall & spring......The fall turn-up is scheduled for Oct. 10th at Lake San Vicente's picnic grounds.

The spring tune-up is really the big one. Lots of folks with a lot of local knowledge. There's no doubt that most the turkeys are on private property (which has been the case in every state I've hunted). Plenty of birds are taken on public for the guys that work at it. Good maps and GPS are a real help here......Remember Google Earth is definitely your friend.

If you'd like to meet some new guys and get involved with NWTF. Our meeting are the 4th Tuesday of every month. Location is at CoCo's Restaurant on Lake Murray Rd. in La Mesa.

I've enclosed last springs flyer.......Good luck

Attachments

• 2014 STTU Flyer.pdf
    137.4 KB · Views: 13

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu