which spotting scope?

Hunterfisher

Jan 19, 2020
so after this season of seeing lots of deer with my 10x42 binos and not being a hundred percent sure if they were doe or bucks it’s time for me to get some bigger glass. i’m stuck on should i get a 20-60 or similar or drop down to a 15-45x65mm. i mostly saw the deer in question around a mile out and the binos were so close to being able to tell. i know i can just get bigger binos but i want to add a spotter to my bag. what do you guys use and would it be worth it to just run the mid range glass over the 20-60s. i don’t mind the weight but if i don’t need all that why get it

I like them on the smaller side. So I would start there if I were you. I had a bigger one and it never went with me so I kept going lighter until I found one that never leaves my pack. 45x on the big end should give you plenty of zoom unless you are real picky counting inches.

Reactions: Hunterfisher
Making sure it has a fork on one side for me...I'm all about big good glass .it's a game changer for sure....in the end...its a trip to bank or not for me for much of the year...I like the bank..pay now or pay later... I think.

Get the best you can afford, which ever brand you decide on. Also get angled scope., and tri-pod.
so i was looking at the leupold santium 27-55x85 and i dont mind saving up for that but not sure if i needed all that power. i’m not trying to count the number of eyelashes from 4 miles away. i really like the reviews on the athlon 15-45x65 also. suppose to be the best in the magnification class

so i was looking at the leupold santium 27-55x85 and i dont mind saving up for that but not sure if i needed all that power. i’m not trying to count the number of eyelashes from 4 miles away. i really like the reviews on the athlon 15-45x65 also. suppose to be the best in the magnification class
If that's the one you want, then get it. you don't want regrets later. I'm surprised Hatch didn't mention getting the side window mount for the truck.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Remember with a scope that heavy you also need a more intense head and tripod setup to support it properly. AKA more weight.

I would grab a used Vortex Viper or Leupold Gold ring on Ebay. If you dont like it you can sell it for what you have in it, almost.

Reactions: ilovesprig
If that's the one you want, then get it. you don't want regrets later. I'm surprised Hatch didn't mention getting the side window mount for the truck.
Old age....really slipping these days... just trying to finish every year...but yes..Window mount is a must!!!!

Reactions: GUNDOGLOVER49
Remember with a scope that heavy you also need a more intense head and tripod setup to support it properly. AKA more weight.

I would grab a used Vortex Viper or Leupold Gold ring on Ebay. If you dont like it you can sell it for what you have in it, almost.
do they only have the gold rings in straight or do they have angled?

The first thing I would ask is what is your budget ? Good glass is not cheap and cheap glass is not good. The best glass is German or Austrian (i.e. Lieca, Swarovki or Zeiss) with Japanese next. The next question is what kind of country do you intend to hunt? If you are looking at the entire west the you need to be able to see into the next county if you are hunting deer. My personal quiver holds both Leica and Swarovski. I own Leicas in 8X, 10x with rangefinder and 12x . I also have Swarovki in 15x binos and a Swaro spotter variable in 15x to 60x . Tripods are the next challenge. Lightweight is good for places where weight matters and heavy duty are good for stable set ups. I use Outdoorsmans for lightweight use and Manfortto's for superstable use with high power optics. I think a good place to upgrade to in so Cal for you considering what you already have would be a set of 15X binos with a light tripod. You will be amazed what a difference a pair of 15's on a tripod makes over hand held 10's. Opinions are like a-holes everyone has one and that's mine.....

do they only have the gold rings in straight or do they have angled?

Not sure. I prefer straight. I lock down the head, pull my binos off, put the scope on and its right on the animal or at least close. Some prefer angled but since I mostly use my scope to verify antlers/size and not so much glass I prefer straight. YMMV.

Reactions: HATCHET1
I know you mentioned you don't want another pair of binos, but after I got 15x56's (Vortex Kaibab)...I never used my spotter again (Vortex Razor)...I'm sure my SIL is happy about that....... ;)

.IMG_2441.JPG

The first thing I would ask is what is your budget ? Good glass is not cheap and cheap glass is not good. The best glass is German or Austrian (i.e. Lieca, Swarovki or Zeiss) with Japanese next. The next question is what kind of country do you intend to hunt? If you are looking at the entire west the you need to be able to see into the next county if you are hunting deer. My personal quiver holds both Leica and Swarovski. I own Leicas in 8X, 10x with rangefinder and 12x . I also have Swarovki in 15x binos and a Swaro spotter variable in 15x to 60x . Tripods are the next challenge. Lightweight is good for places where weight matters and heavy duty are good for stable set ups. I use Outdoorsmans for lightweight use and Manfortto's for superstable use with high power optics. I think a good place to upgrade to in so Cal for you considering what you already have would be a set of 15X binos with a light tripod. You will be amazed what a difference a pair of 15's on a tripod makes over hand held 10's. Opinions are like a-holes everyone has one and that's mine.....
i have my 10s on a tripod and it’s way better. my budget is probably under 2000. i’m just hunting all around d16 for now so everything from the desert to some mountains. i’ve read a lot of reviews and it’s all over the place. just want to get something that should work for the d16 area for now. but i do have some points saved up for a wyoming elk hunt in the future so i wouldn’t want to have to buy a bigger scope for that later idk.

I know you mentioned you don't want another pair of binos, but after I got 15x56's (Vortex Kaibab)...I never used my spotter again (Vortex Razor)...I'm sure my SIL is happy about that....... ;)

.View attachment 56862ya maybe that’s a better way to go.cause i dont feel like i need a shitload more magnification. and instead of buying a midrange spotting scope just get the bigger binos which i need anyways and then later on buy a big spotting scope. too many damn options.

.View attachment 56862
This pic brings me joy stevo...most won't get it...but truth is ...work smarter ..not harder .. love it!!

also do they still make a 15x56 kaibab. i only see 18x56 on the vortex website

I don't know...If they're not on their site, then probably not...I also have Vortex Viper's...To be honest, these old eyes couldn't really tell the difference....Hell, you can probably get both.

Vultures on sale....

IMO I would avoid Vortex high power binos, power does not mean better and they are quality wise less than the Euro glass. I would think if you look around you could find some used 15x Swaros and connect them to a good lightweight tripod and come out way ahead of what you have now. Ask Truduct what he never leaves behind when he hunts locally (15x Swaros) . If you have time get in touch with me and come up to my ranch , bring the glass you own and I'll let you look through mine and you will see the difference. Truly it's amazing what good glass does in the way of clarity, color seperation, definition. No pun intended but is the difference between light and darkness...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu