Who has a savage axis ii

Rocked and Loaded

Mar 29, 2021
I’m considering a future center fire for my son and the savage axis ii compact in .223 seems like it would make a good starter for building form and hunting on the smaller game side (especially with our lead restrictions).

Has anyone used and liked the axis ii? Anyone specifically used the .223 or compact models?

Evan,

How big is he?...How old?...Has he shot .22's yet?

I bought my daughter the Savage Axis ll in the standard size...It's not really a very big rifle...She's 5-2" and a little over a 100 lbs...I would also consider a .243...Barely any recoil and can't be much different than a .223, but gives you better options for deer.

Evan,

How big is he?...How old?...Has he shot .22's yet?

I bought my daughter the Savage Axis ll in the standard size...It's not really a very big rifle...She's 5-2" and a little over a 100 lbs...I would also consider a .243...Barely any recoil and can't be much different than a .223, but gives you better options for deer.
He’s only 9 and 60 lbs so he’s probably a bit small for a full size. I’m probably a little ahead of myself anyway.

He has a Savage Rascal that he shoots pretty well but he could use more trigger time on that.

There was a thread on rokslide that had me thinking of 223 in a youth rifle. Plus I may already have a bit of practice ammo for that cartridge. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ilovesprig
24 or better ..25 really. But that's what worked for me rasing killers...and giving lessons to many a youngsters...not much difference in recoil..

Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
Ask any child what they afraid of when hunting. .It's gonna be recoil...eliminate it...and you have a life long hunting buddy ..my 1.5 cents .

I was 11 when I killed my 1st buck...I never even thought about recoil...Of course, I don't recall even shooting the Old Mod 99 Savage in .308 until I pulled the trigger the 1st time.... :joy:

Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
I have one in .223 use as my coyote rifle I have a 200 yd zero on it with a vortex scope it is dead on.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu