Wireless Internet..

I pay for everything..no stone unturned when it comes to the internet...how would one actually learn how to hunt without it? God bless robert kahn...

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Get Verizon and pay for the unlimited data package.

My wife Works from her phone and rarely uses our internet. She just turns on her hot spot on her phone and uses her computer. LTE WORKS GREAT

Get Verizon and pay for the unlimited data package.

My wife Works from her phone and rarely uses our internet. She just turns on her hot spot on her phone and uses her computer. LTE WORKS GREAT

This works great if you can ping at high enough speeds.

Lee,

We live in a rural area and everyone had satellite internet here when we moved3.5 years ago.

We could not do satellite internet due to the latency and issues with my wife's VOIP phone, so we installed a cell booster on our house.

The cell booster was installed for 2 reasons:

1. We needed to boost the cell signal for personal phone usage because we do not have a land line.
2. We needed faster data speeds in order for my wife to work from home for both her VOIP phone and internet.

A VOIP phone needs a hardwired line (usually), so we needed a router that would accept a Verizon USB mifi stick. From there we were able to broadcast whole home internet.

This system works great IF you can get good speeds where you live. Around 10 mbps is what we could ping on average, but when it was below that it would suck for my wife and her work.

This worked for a couple years until we got a "line of sight" vendor to service our area. Now we can ping a tower with high speed internet at close to 100 mbps. We purchased a lower unlimited plan at 25 mbps. Works great and very few issues with speeds, even during storms.

If you can go the Verizon 4G route it may be best to go there, but if you can't get great service that way go the line if sight route.

These guys service East County, but I am sure there are others. These prices seem expensive especially because they charge overage fees, but it is CA pricing.

The Cell boosters work but they are a pain to setup, I have one in mex. You need to put the yagi antenna way way up in the air. As far from the repeater as you can get it. You also need to make sure you get the right one on the right frequency. There are a few handy apps that can give you heading to the nearest tower and what its running. Any phone can be a hotspot fyi.

you need some signal to make a booster work. they will not make something from nothing.

side note.. space x is launching a butt load of Low earth sats to bring interweb to the whole planet. If this works Hughes net will be obsolete in zero time. Their sats are Geo stationary and way way way farther out. The space x sats will buz around at super high speed and you will bounce from one to another as they fly over head in low earth orbit

The Cell boosters work but they are a pain to setup, I have one in mex. You need to put the yagi antenna way way up in the air. As far from the repeater as you can get it. You also need to make sure you get the right one on the right frequency. There are a few handy apps that can give you heading to the nearest tower and what its running. Any phone can be a hotspot fyi.

you need some signal to make a booster work. they will not make something from nothing.
Bill thanks for the reply.
Seems to be our most economical at the moment until cash flow picks up.
Then a faster method can be had.
Ya that's how we do it now. But slow
Connection , but no booster.
We get two bars. AT&T came out and
Couldn't get good enough connection to garanty 10 mb connection. Ugggg
I going to try a cell booster if it works. Pick up a third device.
Use as a hot spot..
An vorizon Jet pack , $70 = 10 gb of data.. may go that route. And buy Xtra data. I am looking at every ones kindly advice an I grateful.

side note.. space x is launching a butt load of Low earth sats to bring interweb to the whole planet. If this works Hughes net will be obsolete in zero time. Their sats are Geo stationary and way way way farther out. The space x sats will buz around at super high speed and you will bounce from one to another as they fly over head in low earth orbit
That would be awesome..
I miss my gaming. Lol when I had cable. Giga speed connection..
Life's changes and challenges..

Depending on your signal strength now, you may be looking at around $1000 for a booster.

We have a We Boost 4GX. It was a really good one 3 years ago, not sure what is the standard now.

As Aeon mentioned, they are tough to get perfect signal. I did my install myself and it helps a lot, but isnt perfect. My neighbor paid someone to install one and he has perfect reception. That same neighbor is lower in elevation and should have a worse line of sight then me. The installer probably has some tool to get the antenna setup perfectly.

I use the 125$ dollar ones off Amazon. Just make sure you get the right one

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu