Wister 11/27 Newbies

calreef18

Nov 27, 2021
My buddy and I went to Wister yesterday and had a great time! Had a reservation #69 and plenty of blinds to choose from, not sure if what we picked was a good area but figured we would give it a shot. First timers to Wister and only second time out duck hunting.

At first light was able to call and get a few birds to come in, missed some shot opportunities but was able to get my first green wing teal. Buddy got a ruddy and we hit a couple of coots we spooked up later in the day when it was slow.

We were in one of the blinds on the outer corners of the reserve, might try to get in one of the ones closer to the interior next time. Had some fliers in the first hour or so and that was about it.

Great info on this site and looking forward to getting out there again.6701D59B-8B21-4CDD-BA7B-BB044866179D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your 1st teal . Glad you are getting out and trying to learn ! The more you observe and scout the better you will be at picking spots . Even a poor shoot allows you to see more and if you make a log you can go back and adjust your picks . One thing , going and jump shooting whether it’s ducks or coots isn’t good . It can mess up your fellow hunters and is against the rules . Coots fly over it’s still disruptive but better than chasing . Good luck on your future hunts , Old Quack 49

You had me at coot! Good job teal are one of my favorite birds to shoot. You will hear them before you see them a lot of the time.

Last edited:
Hey all had a question, do people prefer Saturdays or Wednesdays? From the counts it seems Saturdays always have more people but also more ducks, is this because more people are decoying and getting the birds working? Thinking about heading out for the sweatline, I’m guessing any day I’m able to get on is a good day? Better day than work at least, can’t get them if you’re sitting behind the computer!

Man...wish I was there..bucket list for sure..the wister horn..someday..

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu