Wister.....Be Mindful of the Rules

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
And I'm not talking about the mud (which is brutal right now)......It's knowing the rules of state wildlife areas & refuges.....PLEASE read them, if you're new to California or waterfowling.

In the last week I've talked to two guys that have received citations for having too many shells while in the blind.....The limit is 25 shells.

In the 1st case, the guy is in the military, from another state, and was his 1st time to Wister.....He had hunted San J once and Tom went thru all the rules & regs, including the 25 shell rule.....Wister doesn't say anything about shell limit or regs for the most part before you draw for blinds.....The rule is on the back of the Wister map.....In this persons case, he had printed the map from the computer. So there were no rules on the back......His fine for having 2 full boxes is $1060.00!

The 2nd case is one that any of us could make.....He had 10 shells in his Mojo box, plus he had his belt of 25.....Honest mistake, because he knows the rules.....This fine will be at least $500.00.

ps.....Many years ago, when the 25 shell limit rule 1st went into effect, I had a full extra box with me....I got checked by Warden Joe Branna.....I told him I had the extra box. He told me to take the extra box back to the truck.....Joe & I became friends later in his career.

pss....Just this last Saturday at Kern, I checked one of the pockets on my waders, and sure enough, there's 3 extra shells from the previous shoot day.....Be careful

Just curious, so the fine starts at $400.00 and each shell afterward is $25? Is that right?

I usually take an ammo box with a couple extra boxes and some lighter stuff in case I decide to go for dove or quail if I don't make the sweatline draw. I leave it in the truck but one time, due to a brain fart I guess, I threw the ammo box in the decoy cart. When we got out to the blind and started to set things up I discovered what I had done. I had to walk it back to the truck and get back before start time.

I just got invited to hunt Wister next Wednesday. This will be my first Wister hunt but the guys I am hunting with are regulars. They have the #6 draw which I would guess is pretty good. He said they leave an ammo can on the dyke you are just not allowed to have more than 25 in the blind per person? Any thoughts or comments on this.

here is the code per the DFG site. leaving ammo on the dyke is in the field. if i was on a refuge i would leave the ammo in the car.
Ammunition Restrictions: A hunter shall not
possess more than 25 shot shells while in the
field during the waterfowl season

If you cant shoot 7 ducks with 25 shots there is a problem.

If you are on a ripper goose shoot, race back to the truck and grab more shells

I just got invited to hunt Wister next Wednesday. This will be my first Wister hunt but the guys I am hunting with are regulars. They have the #6 draw which I would guess is pretty good. He said they leave an ammo can on the dyke you are just not allowed to have more than 25 in the blind per person? Any thoughts or comments on this.
Leave it in the car. If a warden sees you going back to the hidden box you will get it.

You aren't supposed to do that. Leave it in the truck. I have found stashed shells before.

If you have to go back for more just run like Stefan said. I haven't shot a whole box of shells in God knows how long, but on some of those windy days I could see why you may need them.

Side story. My last season in CA, one of the last hunt days I had a top 5 draw at Wister. Just me and my brother. Well big ducks came in on a string, I shot a few birds, then a POUNDING headache set in. I could not kill a duck back peddling in the decoys for the life of me. I gave up. I couldn't even shoot through a whole box. My brother was already done, had been for over an hour.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Drew,

Like others have stated......Do NOT leave shells in the field......If you get checked on the way to the blind (& yes, they check in the dark), you will get a citation.

And yes, it's called the "Walk of Shame" going back for shells......Way better than walking into court......;)

ps......Just found out another guy had his blind bag at his site with him Saturday.....45 extra shells in there......All the shells he owned and 1st time to Wister.....:scream:

When i use to live in cal i got check at san jac in the parking lot i was at my truck and he check my coat i had 30 shell in my pocket the warden told me he could write me a ticket let me off

We got checked in Bishop. Checked on steel shot, license and plug in the gun. I think most new shooters believe when they buy a new shotgun it has a plug installed already. That is not always the case. When I take someone new out, I check their gun for round capacity, make sure they have steel shot and 25 rounds only.

John

John,

Great point.......870's are famous for not having plugs in them new from the box.

ps......Never checked my new/old Rem 11-48 this year.....Half way across a pheasant field, I realized it took 3 shells in the magazine.....I literally broke off a stick and stuck it for a plug.

Last edited:
John,

Great point.......870's are famous for not having plugs in them new from the box.

ps......Never checked my new/old Rem 11-48 this year.....Half way across a pheasant field I realized it took 3 shells in the magazine.....I literally broke off a stick and stuck it for a plug.
X2.. my old 870 was not factory plugged either. Held 3 shells in the mag. I didn't realize it until we were out in the field already, but luckily I had a Bic pen on me and tossed it in there.

That's crazy, I have never had a pump or auto out of the box that didn't have a plug

This is a great thread Steve, thanks for posting it. Of course, it also further discourages me from taking up waterfowl hunting from a blind... in California. ;)

Franchi and I believe Benellis come with a plug installed. I had my Over and Under so I was good to go. Nice Warden. We BS'd with him about deer hunting for quite a while. Good hunting tomorrow. Shoot straight and be safe.

John

Steve, what's your take on the scenario below:

- Walking from the Wister check station to a parking lot with 2 boxes of shells, stashing 1 box of shells in the parking lot, physically going in the field from the parking lot with 25 shells.
- This would be used if you can't get to your assigned parking lot due to road conditions.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu