Wister Blinds

That's right. I forgot about the white board. I think that's why Steve started doing it....
After doing a drive about this afternoon, I'm sorry I asked! o_O

Reactions: ilovesprig
Blinds...sounds like you need to bring your own water

this from Scott Sewell

we are currently flooding as much as possible, as of this past Monday... listed below is where we are at. I can fill you in further come this wed/thurs

North End
514 All ponded
513 Ponded trying to get water to Disable Site
413 Still Ponding, 413W2 dry, 413W3 half ponded, 413W4 dry
312 312B2,4 ponded, the rest still dry but filling.
312C 2,4 just getting water, 312C 5 just getting water.
115 B1 just getting water, B3 East is ponded B5 ponded.
114 All ponded

South End
Y15 Last 2 ponds near Davis Rd Dry.
W11 Last 2 ponds near Davis Rd Dry.
U14 2,4 ponded, 5 is filling, 1 is dry.
U12 2,4 filling, 5 ponded, 3,1 filling
U10 Ponded
T10 All Dry due to no pipeline.
T12 Ponded
T14 1,3 Dry, 5 low water in swell, 2,4 Ponded
S20 1,3 Ponded

Blinds...sounds like you need to bring your own water

this from Scott Sewell

we are currently flooding as much as possible, as of this past Monday... listed below is where we are at. I can fill you in further come this wed/thurs

North End
514 All ponded
513 Ponded trying to get water to Disable Site
413 Still Ponding, 413W2 dry, 413W3 half ponded, 413W4 dry
312 312B2,4 ponded, the rest still dry but filling.
312C 2,4 just getting water, 312C 5 just getting water.
115 B1 just getting water, B3 East is ponded B5 ponded.
114 All ponded

South End
Y15 Last 2 ponds near Davis Rd Dry.
W11 Last 2 ponds near Davis Rd Dry.
U14 2,4 ponded, 5 is filling, 1 is dry.
U12 2,4 filling, 5 ponded, 3,1 filling
U10 Ponded
T10 All Dry due to no pipeline.
T12 Ponded
T14 1,3 Dry, 5 low water in swell, 2,4 Ponded
S20 1,3 Ponded

Pretty jacked up. There is always drama at Wister before the opener. Biblical Rains, Marauding Sink Holes and lack of water. This is bad. I truly feel for those of you with a draw for the opener. There are some key Blinds that will not have water. T10s? Freaking amazing. There is nothing great about learning before the opener that Wister will be starting the season with so many key blinds not being operational. For those of you with good draws and dont know Wister well, you better start doing your home work. Blind selection will be brutal if the top 15 pick well. Yeah, I know you can shoot ducks on skinny water but that skill level and set up requirements is not something a lot of people can readily apply.

John

John

And yet the beat goes on at Wister (downhill)...Approximately, 50 blinds for 100 ressies?...On that thread on Facebook, I asked the question...Is anybody happy with this report from Scott Sewell?...Folks were thanking him for posting this...WTF!
As an old long time Wister addict I can say without a doubt that for me the lack of responsiveness and accountability to the guys who hunt AND pay for this desert gem has been appalling. When once The Friends of Wister eagerly helped with improvements and clean up days the interest to do so has fallen through the cracks do to the lack of responsiveness by Refuge leadership . Losing prime hunting sites due to overgrowth and lack of maintenance as well as food sources being poorly executed or worse ignored is damning in my opinion. The job of running and improving this vital stopping place for waterfowl with the Sea’s problem is critical and has been going on worse each year. We the hunters and the waterfowl deserve better ! Just my opinion, Old Quack 49

As an old long time Wister addict I can say without a doubt that for me the lack of responsiveness and accountability to the guys who hunt AND pay for this desert gem has been appalling. When once The Friends of Wister eagerly helped with improvements and clean up days the interest to do so has fallen through the cracks do to the lack of responsiveness by Refuge leadership . Losing prime hunting sites due to overgrowth and lack of maintenance as well as food sources being poorly executed or worse ignored is damning in my opinion. The job of running and improving this vital stopping place for waterfowl with the Sea’s problem is critical and has been going on worse each year. We the hunters and the waterfowl deserve better ! Just my opinion, Old Quack 49

Larry,

You're right on...I've been beating this horse for a long, long time...And it has fallen on deaf ears...We now have what we have...Truly a travesty to the waterfowlers of SoCal.

I put this together using google maps, may not be the most accurate feel free to let me know whats wrong or what can be changed, kind of a rough draft.WISTER MAP.png

Step,

Nicely done...There are a few things...Lake Francis is now where Y16 C is, Bufflehead Rd is only to the 413 east parking lot, Willet Rd. is Beach Rd, the permanent and day use campgrounds are where Y16C is kinda, Beale Rd. is a accessible rd. (between T & U fields), the only access roads on non shoot days are Noffsinger, Beale, Beach, and Honker...There is no closed zone in 413 West.

Step,

Nicely done...There are a few things...Lake Francis is now where Y16 C is, Bufflehead Rd is only to the 413 east parking lot, Willet Rd. is Beach Rd, the permanent and day use campgrounds are where Y16C is kinda, Beale Rd. is a accessible rd. (between T & U fields), the only access roads on non shoot days are Noffsinger, Beale, Beach, and Honker...There is no closed zone in 413 West.

Copy that, Ill be working on a updated version, I've never actually had boots on the ground at Wister so im going off of a couple different maps. Ive hunted a few private clubs out there before so im some what familiar with the area. I got drawn #14 for opener and im taking the woman along with me for her first time so im trying to do as much "Scouting" online as I can for intel as well as geography for Wister. Im fine with wondering around lost and figuring it out myself but when i got the wife with me its a different story ( I think we all know how that goes haha). Ill be wingin it as i go as far as blind selection. From what ive heard im gonna have about a minute in the morning at the board to decide where i dont know im going.

And if you really want to get technical Honker Road is the access road to the blind site parking lots for the 312's, not the road everyone drives on that used to access the Sea. However, it has adopted that name over the years.

Most the Timothy I seen before they filled shure was sparse ..I dont know how fast the ponds fill but from what I seen sat 60 70resis should about fill it...will see

Step,

"Wondering around lost" can be costly...Ask before going to your blind...Lots of SCH'ers out there and will help you.

Mike (Fredthegad),

I've tried and seem to not get much past 50, when it comes to "Huntable" sites.

Reactions: slinky_70
Steve, and that’s the problem. As we sit 5 days from our Opener WE are looking at how few huntable sites there are. Where has the Supervisor been since last February looking at how he, and we , could improve the Refuge and increase opportunities ?? Without a strong plan and direction and communication this is what we get. Understood Wister isn’t like some Sacramento Refuges where things are easier. It’s difficult to get strong leadership that wants to live there and put their heart into “Our Duck Club” . That’s the job that needs to be done. Where are the open discussions with interested like minded people who get it ? It’s too frustrating but we in SoCal don’t have many available options . I don’t want Wister to continue to fade into an old abandoned duck spot. We need STRONG leadership NOW. My 2cents , Old Quack 49

Step,

"Wondering around lost" can be costly...Ask before going to your blind...Lots of SCH'ers out there and will help you.

Mike (Fredthegad),

I've tried and seem to not get much past 50, when it comes to "Huntable" sites.
I was trying to be optimistic Steve, One could always hunt a swale...Ask Chessie he's done it, wasn't by his choice ...sorry Matt really isn't funny you got a raw deal that day

Reactions: ilovesprig
I was trying to be optimistic Steve, One could always hunt a swale...Ask Chessie he's done it, wasn't by his choice ...sorry Matt really isn't funny you got a raw deal that day
Thanks Mike. For those who want to see what hunting a swale looks like, here's the pic.

.huntinaswale.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu