Wister Dove Opener....2018

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Just got off the phone with Rick, the area manager.....I was also out there yesterday....And the north end of the wildlife area looks great for doves....Fields 312, 413, and 513....On the south end, fields U10, T10, and S-20 all have wheat.

There will be some changes this year because of funding , knowing how many folks are hunting the area, and also keeping control of the crowds.....You will have to check in at the check station like you do for duck hunting, but no cost.....The check station will be open at 4:00 am....Remember, STEEL SHOT is REQUIRED on ALL wildlife areas.....Parking will be on along Honker Road, Mallard Road, and the old fish hatchery road on the north end....The area around the check station, housing, 114, and most of Y14 will be a closed zone....Red closed signs will be seen.

Frank will have the concession open at that time....You can buy shells, coffee, donuts, and other related items.....He also sells hunting and fishing licenses.

Good luck and remember to wear safety or shooting glasses....Mourning doves fly low, especially at 1st light....Make sure your shooting lanes are clear.

These pix are from yesterday and the birds per Rick, were pouring in today as they were knocking down the wheat.

ps....The Heritage Fields across from Wister (314) had a number of birds too....Steel shot or checking in is not required here.

.006.JPG001.JPG015.JPG024.JPG017.JPG

Last edited:
Steve, thanks for the info. Do you think the check in and limited parking is worth the hassle or better to go across the highway to the other public fields? Also, will Wister be open for scouting on the 31st?

Kevin,

I would say it's well worth it, if you don't have a better spot (most places unless private will be jammed anyway)....Wister is certainly better than the Heritage fields.....You can see most everything you need to see from Hwy 111 or Honker Rd....The south end didn't have nearly as many birds, but that may change by the opener.....If you sign-in at the kiosk, I think you can scout. except roads that say they're closed.

If my options were the heritage fields or check in at Wister I would be at Wister in a heart beat.

I imagine there will be some idiots, but checking in will keep some of that at bay.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There were plenty of birds on the heritage last year but even more hunters and donkeys. Looking for a change this opener.

FYI
Wister staff have been working hard over the past several years to make Dove hunting opportunities bigger, I mean with more acres and better habitat, We have got grants from IID solar mitigation and Duck Stamp funds to help with these projects. my supervisor and myself have worked closely with CWA engineers to design farm fields on the north properties, even though our work conditions and equipment are not the best at times we at Wister make it work , with the help from CWA and the public its happening faster than you think, unfortunately a broke down piece of equipment slowed our progress down and acreage dramatically. Problem solved!! at this time we have only a portion planted but its spread out enough to keep hunters some what apart. The road closures in areas and sign ups at the check station are not intended to make your hunt inconvenient, but have been regulation here wister for ever! now with more opportunity it is up the hunter to check in so we (WISTER STAFF) can document the hunters and visitors who show up, this is how we can promote to our Supervisors , Regional Managers that the program will work,

ilovesprig pretty much hit all the points we discussed, please come down hunt the IWA and enjoy WISTER
its your best hunting opportunity on public land!!
Thanks for coming down ilovesprig and looking forward to see you all here

RF

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rick....I might add....There's no alcohol allowed on the area where hunting is involved (waterfowl or upland fields)….Also, Pleeeease pick up your spend hulls, water bottles, and any trash you may see....The wildlife area belongs to all of us....Please treat it accordingly.

Did I forget a duck pic.....lol

.013.JPG

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Thanks Rick....I might add....There's no alcohol allowed on the area where hunting is involved (waterfowl or upland fields)….Also, Pleeeease pick up your spend hulls, water bottles, and any trash you may see....The wildlife area belongs to all of us....Please treat it accordingly.

Did I forget a duck pic.....lol

.View attachment 35873

No Alcohol... now you got my interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jdub760
I've never hunted Wister, only Blythe and Cibola; how does it compare as far as crowds? How crowded is it typically 2nd weekend?

With private property being slowly closed off. I take this as a blessing.
Right now I am strapped for funds, so I won't be able to make it. But I believe we need to show support if possible. Even just sign in and shoot a couple of boxes.
I want to thank the people for trying to make this possible.

Reactions: Jdub760
I've never hunted Wister, only Blythe and Cibola; how does it compare as far as crowds? How crowded is it typically 2nd weekend?

It will be pretty crowded, but probably not much different than most public spots....Almost nobody the 2nd week-end.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu