Wister or San J for opener?

akrem44

Sep 17, 2014
Hey there! New to duck hunting seeing as this will be my first hunt. I didnt get drawn for either but am planing on trying the lottery at Wister or the sweatline at San J. I do have most things such as decoys calls and my dog who i have been training for almost a year now. My only question is from you experienced waterfowlers is where do you think i would have the best chance to fill my limit? looking more towards wister seeing as i will be able to get in for the lottery but still am unsure. Thank you

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I doubt you will get on opening morning at least not at first light. But who knows as for the best spot if you are in the sweatline opening day I would say beggars can’t be choosers. As for what are the best spots get there early and watch which spots get picked first every week and you will get the hang of it. I would give you some numbers to pick but what would the fun in that be

If you are new to duck hunting I wouldn't worry about limits for awhile. Learning is the most important thing for anyone, but definitely more important for a newer waterfowler.

If it were me I would head to Wister. I feel that you learn more about ducks and duck hunting refuges by hunting there. In some areas of Wister you can actually work birds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Awesome ! Thank you for the replies. Looks like I will be heading down there the night before opener to get on the lottery list.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Unsuccesful for 10/20 too.... :(
Next in line 10/31, so, what do I do now? I read that I could drive to Wister and take the chance for the lottery on opening day, correct? But I could also check some local ponds and duck hunt there? Scout for deer at the same time...?

One more question, if we dont get drawn on the lotery, can I still hungout and learn about different ducks and birds? Or the place is open only for hunters?

One more question, if we dont get drawn on the lotery, can I still hungout and learn about different ducks and birds? Or the place is open only for hunters?
You could hang out in the parking lot, but definitely not at a blind site.

For everyone not going hunting on the opener because they did not get a draw. Please do some research on other spots in the lower half of CA to hunt ducks. I hunted the duck opener on So Cal every year for 10 years before I moved. Maybe once or twice was on an opening day ressie draw. Water and ducks do exist outside of Wister and SJ.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Listen guys get onX maps stay off the refuge if you didn’t get drawn. Hunt the shore line to the west of the refuge and hammer them ! The refuge isn’t everything, put in some work. For a Month straight on the weekends before the opener I was out there scouting finding areas to hunt, wear your waiters watch for snakes and go get waist deep out there in a run off pond

Last edited by a moderator:
Unsuccesful for 10/20 too.... :(
Next in line 10/31, so,check some local ponds and duck hunt there? Scout for deer at the same time...?
Listen guys get onX maps stay off the refuge if you didn’t get drawn. Hunt the shore line to the west of the refuge and hammer them ! The refuge isn’t everything, put in some work. For a Month straight on the weekends before the opener I was out there scouting finding areas to hunt, wear your waiters watch for snakes and go get waist deep out there in a run off pond
the areas I have walked scouting for deer have all the ponds dry. I have heard of people going duck hunting to the Colorado river. Is it legal going there?

the areas I have walked scouting for deer have all the ponds dry. I have heard of people going duck hunting to the Colorado river. Is it legal going there?
Yes just use ONX and know where you are there are refuges you cannot hunt down there. Also a boat is very helpful on the river.

For newbies looking to freelance, be careful of the mud.. it's nasty. Many places, if you don't have a dog or a boat, you won't be able to wade out to retrieve ducks or toss dekes unless you wanna be digging yourself out of a hole with your shotgun. Plan your attack wisely.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I saw my friend trying to get our of one of the ponds in Wister last year when retrieving his decoys, It was extremely difficult .

I saw my friend trying to get our of one of the ponds in Wister last year when retrieving his decoys, It was extremely difficult .
I'm usually very careful if I exit my boat. One of my methods is to find an island with cover, cut tules and bend them over to make a stepping surface where I won't sink. But once I was a bit careless and stepped off where I shouldn't have, and sank myself nearly to the top of my waders. Needless to say I panicked a bit.. used my decoy bag and gun to climb out. So yeah, use caution...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu