WTF do I do with these?

BOWUNTR

Nov 3, 2011
Before you give me sh!t... I'm not gonna start rifle hunting. I've been a custom mauser 98 rifle buff since I was a kid and used to go to gun shows, hand a guy some cash and he would give you a rifle.

I have these two never used mauser actions. One is a Dumoulin 98 and the other is an Interarms Mark X. I connected with a good gunsmith here and am gonna put barrels on these two. I'll get a beautiful 98% inletted wood stock and do the inletting, bedding and finish work myself. I've done it on a few guns before.

My question for you gun geeks is what caliber and brand barrel? Both action are long and have a standard bolt face. I have a .243, 257 Roberts, 25/06, 6.5 Creedmore, 270 win, .308, 30/06 and want something different. I could have the bolt face opened up for a magnum.

These stupid caliber threads go over 100 posts... I expect 200... GO... Ed F20230511_192530.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ofdscooby
Long range .270 build with a fast twist and high BC bullets. Would be a sweet mix of old and new school.

Long range .270 build with a fast twist and high BC bullets. Would be a sweet mix of old and new school.
Oops... I got a 270. Never thought about a 35 Whelen.... kinda like a 338/06 but bigger. Ed F

Being you will never hunt with them, Cal. really isn't an issue, unless you plan on selling them at some point. With that in mind I would say .270. Wall hangers are always nice.

Last edited:
Fun fact:

At 400 yards shooting factory ammo a 6.5 creed using 147 eld match has MORE ftlbs then a 300 Win Mag using a 180 core-lokt.

Make sure the caliber you choose can take advantage of modern bullet technology!

470 with a 500gr bullet....... African is good for bow and rifle hunting......best of both!

The 35 Whelen is my top choice so far. What about magnums? That Domoulin is a heavy sucker... Ed F

Bartline 2b's are good all around contour still light to carry but also have a little junk in the trunk. You could go one in 7mag and the other just straight 280 to avoid brass issues. Or maybe go one with a heavier barrel like a #3 Bartline in 7 mag and one a sheep gun in .280. with a short #0 barrel. I would let available ammo or easy to load for cartridges lead the way.

There was an old guy at at the Pala range that used to make his own lead bullets and shoot only old mausers. It was pretty cool but never very accurate past 200. There's a forum for everything these days and I bet there would some good suggestions on the https://www.mauserguns.com/forum/index.php

I am not sure why someone would give you shit for Rifle hunting @BOWUNTR

I have several rigs built on one of the old school actions. A 270 Win on a German 98 and 7mm/08 on a Sprinfield 03 built by Dan Dwyer. Both are pretty awesome and very accurate.

Rifle huntingbis cool!

Reactions: d16ridgehiker

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu