YIKES!!!!!!

Lungpopper

GLASS,GLASS,GLASS
Staff member
Mar 2, 2011
Lakeside
schoutdoors.com
Trimming some of the landscape in my yard today and found this guy. Kinda makes you pay attention to all the bushes around you afterwards. (sorry Fred to small for you)

Attachments

• RESIZE.jpg
    RESIZE.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 210
Snakecharmer I don't doubt you..we have a blacktail over here that comes in a variety of colors depending on the region your in..one of the blacktails around here is identical to Lungpoppers find

The southern pacifics vary greatly in color as well, I have seen them so dark they almost appear black and with virtually no pattern visible, I've also seen the same species in Tan with a pale green tone. The bottom line with the differences in color is it has to do with what type of terrain they are found in, they have changed their color over time to blend in with the surroundings they live in. Az has nine species of rattler with a couple of them being brightly marked. I dont care much for them either but they are amazing creatures.

I caught a live baby about 2 hours ago on my back patio. If it was any bigger, I might have dispatched it. But this guy looks like a fairly new hatch so I decided to catch him. Only about 10 inches long, but in need of a new home.

SnakeCharmer, if you're interested I'll be up in Ramona tomorrow evening. I can meet you in town and hand him over if you want. Otherwise, he's gonna get dropped off in a new area.

SoCalRebelHunter said:
Otherwise, he's gonna get dropped off in a new area.
By new area I hope you mean the mortuary. The small ones are the worst. They are harder to see, don't rattle, and don't know when to cut the poison off. Just my opinion but do us all a favor...

Randomshot said:
SoCalRebelHunter said:
Otherwise, he's gonna get dropped off in a new area.
By new area I hope you mean the mortuary. The small ones are the worst. They are harder to see, don't rattle, and don't know when to cut the poison off. Just my opinion but do us all a favor...

Nope. Relocated to a desolate area of east county. They do a service. You can kill all the snakes you want around place. I'd rather find one snake every year than be overrun with mice and rats.

I agree snakes do serve a roll in the ecosystem but there are other non poisonous snakes that fill this roll without being a hazard. I have stopped and gotten out of my truck to move king, gopher, and rosy boas off of the road. On the other hand I've almost wound up in a ditch once swerving to run over a rattle snake. Maybe it's due to the fact that I have a couple of birds dogs but in my opinion they are as worthless as ticks and mosquitoes. So Cal you and I are going to have to agree to disagree on the value of a rattlesnake in the wild..

I'm glad I live in Chula Vista. I mean, I know there are some also down here but Lungpopper finds one every other week on his property!! :eek:

Randomshot said:
I agree snakes do serve a roll in the ecosystem but there are other non poisonous snakes that fill this roll without being a hazard. I have stopped and gotten out of my truck to move king, gopher, and rosy boas off of the road. On the other hand I've almost wound up in a ditch once swerving to run over a rattle snake. Maybe it's due to the fact that I have a couple of birds dogs but in my opinion they are as worthless as ticks and mosquitoes. So Cal you and I are going to have to agree to disagree on the value of a rattlesnake in the wild..

Fair enough. I'm hoping the "good karma fairy" sprinkles some of her dust around my house. Literally a month after I killed a three foot rattler my lab, my hunting partner, my upland bird dog, got bit in my backyard last year. Hopefully this little bit of "good faith" will keep me and my dog safe!

Snake Charmer said:
The southern pacifics vary greatly in color as well, I have seen them so dark they almost appear black and with virtually no pattern visible, I've also seen the same species in Tan with a pale green tone. The bottom line with the differences in color is it has to do with what type of terrain they are found in, they have changed their color over time to blend in with the surroundings they live in. Az has nine species of rattler with a couple of them being brightly marked. I dont care much for them either but they are amazing creatures.

Snake Charmer,

So the 4' black rattlesnake I saw in the Laguna recreation area a few years ago was a southern pacific?? I had no idea what kind it was but I thankfully spotted him before my mom stepped on him. We were hiking along a trail and this thing was laying across it. He was an angry mofo!!!!!

At that evevation my best guess is it was a southern, the only other possibility would be a western which would generally have what some folks call a "coon tail" i.e. black and white striped tail above the rattles but they usually don't inhabit those elevations.

Snake Charmer said:
At that evevation my best guess is it was a southern, the only other possibility would be a western which would generally have what some folks call a "coon tail" i.e. black and white striped tail above the rattles but they usually don't inhabit those elevations.

Ok after looking at some web photos, it was definitely a southern pacific. It was almost black and didn't have that "coon tail".

What are the rules for snake hunting? I heard you needed a fishing license. I couldn't find it on the DFG website. Anyone know?

No license required, possession limit is two except in SD county where it is illegal to possess them at all (county ordinance) I'm currently working with the board of supervisors on a change to the ordinance that would allow licensed and insured dog trainers to possess for aversion training.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu