Ring Neck Pheasant (0 day) are you ready

Re: Ring Neck Pheasant

Big Jim said:
Im new to the Group, been hunting IV for 42 years. started hunting when they planted birds, man that was crazy. follow the trucks watch the birds release, line the field and everyone walk to the middle. good ol days. Ghost, I also have a small group of good, hunters including my 2 boys, 5 of us with 2 dogs. love to share some areas with you and vice versa, a group hunt would be fun, love to meet new people who enjoy and respect the IV.

Big Jim

PM me, you are most welcome to join. Please advise good place's to camp.

Ghost

We used to camp and I'd have the Pheasants Forever mini banquet at Rio Bend Resort......The organization eventually discontinued after I left, as did the pheasant hunting in the IV (this was the heyday of asparagus)...... ???

Wister has a week-end camping area that costs nothing. It also puts you very close to the planted Heritage fields, if that's your fancy...... ;)

I drove the valley a lot yesterday and never heard or saw a bird (pheasant)........... :(

ilovesprig said:
We used to camp and I'd have the Pheasants Forever mini banquet at Rio Bend Resort......The organization eventually discontinued after I left, as did the pheasant hunting in the IV (this was the heyday of asparagus)...... ???

Wister has a week-end camping area that costs nothing. It also puts you very close to the planted Heritage fields, if that's your fancy...... ;)

I drove the valley a lot yesterday and never heard or saw a bird (pheasant)........... :(

Ilovespig

no worries thanks for the update. wister sounds like a good start for camping.
I know where the wild birds hang out :)
I google it yesterday so may take look at it wister when I am scouting.

Thanks
Ghost

Well Lee, I thought I did too................. :D

ps......It was 113 yesterday, so I'm sure that had something to do with it........ ;)

Love the IV and the pheasant opener....Just about everything is open for the wing shooter..... ;D

Attachments

• pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 046.old.JPG
    pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 046.old.JPG
    617.4 KB · Views: 31
  • pheasant opener 2011 039.JPG
    pheasant opener 2011 039.JPG
    626.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5072.JPG
    IMG_5072.JPG
    579.5 KB · Views: 27

I find the birds then camp nearby, I like a short ride and that way I can keep an eye on the area....had dove shooters move in where the pheasants were last year so have more than one spot just in case........pheasants like it nice and quiet.........it's pretty easy to find some spots out there for camping as long as your not near the cities.

I do most of my scouting in the evening before sunset they tend to get out and move around at that time. I'll check areas for tracks during the day then come back at that time or first light and glass the area to see where they are, I'll also flush them to see where they run/fly to so I know where the blockers need to be. Find those escape routes and have some stealth blockers with no dogs, you can also use your truck or a radio to block areas from them to escape if it's too big.
They use their hearing as their first defense so being quiet is so important when hunting them and don't let your dogs get going to far ahead of you......I know GSP's are big ranging dogs but all you'll do is push them to the blockers. I like dogs close and everyone quiet as can be so the birds flush and not run or loop around you, now at the end of the push get loud and let the dogs do their thing and stand still works they get so nervous they will flush and where one flushes more will likely go from the same spot......

Here's my best day to date... :)....of course its Baja but the birds all came from the IV many decades ago and all are wild........RIP Zita miss ya girl

Attachments

• Baja2013 Zdogs pheasants.jpg
    Baja2013 Zdogs pheasants.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26

MJB & Sprig

Thank you for your nice advice. I can never learn enough ever.
My thoughts also MJB, I like to scout at day light , watch where the birds are roosting, and where they fly to feed.
then late evening before dark I watch them fly from their feeding areas to their roosting areas.
but it changes , from year to year. so scouting is important. like you said.

Thanks All
Ghost

Mark,

Great pic, but comparing the IV to Mexico is like saying cement and alfalfa are good for pheasants....... :D

Cal's Brittany was awesome last year (planted birds, but really wild).............. ;)

Attachments

• DSCF1100.JPG
    DSCF1100.JPG
    363.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF1098.JPG
    DSCF1098.JPG
    402.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF1084.JPG
    DSCF1084.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
  • DSCF1067.JPG
    DSCF1067.JPG
    749.1 KB · Views: 31

Not comparing just pointing out that the birds that are in Baja today came from the IV......

Here's some IV birds

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    977.6 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    886.6 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    871.7 KB · Views: 25

hahahahaha yep looking forward to our IV trip. it's all about the hunt , fun and get together.
had pictures of my brother and I doing the planted pheasant hunt ever year back in the 70's and 80's.
but have not found them , use to limit out every year.

thought I would stir it up this year make it more fun.

Ghost

If we ever get a year like 2011 I'll skip Baja and hit the IV only....Limits almost every shoot before I crossed the boarder.....best year since the aspergas years of long ago

Never been before. Looks like fun. Have a great trip guys.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

So far 6 parties are interested on the pheasant hunt. So far there are three areas to camp. Weist Lake, in Brawley $12, Wister for free, but no Amenities. And an other place Big Jim has recommended.
Jim shoot me a PM. Need directions. I am trying to talk my wife in to going scouting with me next week and try out weist lake with our RV. May do some fishing while there. So far I need every one to chime in on their thoughts. For go and no go on the place to camp.

Ghost

Camping doesn't matter to us. We have our old beater tent trailer we drag with us every where. DOwn the roughest back country roads you can imagine. It ain't pretty but it's better then a ten and we can take the porta shower for shower and facilities if need be.

I'd absolutely love to Ghost, and that is extremely generous of you. I love upland hunting, and I am more than happy to put some boots on the ground for scouting. I am located in North OC, have a Jeep GC incase anyone wants to carpool. I have a yellow lab pup who will be 6 months at that time so maybe I can bring her out too. I will PM you ghost

Their is also a truck stop that has showers for 10.....it's nice to hit those at the end of the day

kylemg0009 said:
I'd absolutely love to Ghost, and that is extremely generous of you. I love upland hunting, and I am more than happy to put some boots on the ground for scouting. I am located in North OC, have a Jeep GC incase anyone wants to carpool. I have a yellow lab pup who will be 6 months at that time so maybe I can bring her out too. I will PM you ghost

Lyle

sent you Pm

Ghost

Forget hunting turkeys in the fall man it's all about the pheasants

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu