1st Poults 2016

Re: 1st Poults seen Today....4-27-16

That's great grass growth. Should keep a decent amount of poults from getting picked off. Unfortunately, we may not have too many 2 year olds on the club next year. Lot of members shot a lot of jakes. The jakes in two zones were completely wiped out :(

Ya the grass is almost three feet high in some places I have been. Most of it is about 18-24". Should be great cover.
Yes everyone shot the snot out of the jakes up there. Shane and another guy I was talking to yesterday shot the pair that were in 2 on Sat morning. I don't have high expectations for next season. That's the problem with people paying to hunt they want their money's worth. I was out yesterday and didn't even hear a gobble. First time all season. I am 0-6 better luck next year.

Truduct said:
Ya the grass is almost three feet high in some places I have been. Most of it is about 18-24". Should be great cover.
Yes everyone shot the snot out of the jakes up there. Shane and another guy I was talking to yesterday shot the pair that were in 2 on Sat morning. I don't have high expectations for next season. That's the problem with people paying to hunt they want their money's worth. I was out yesterday and didn't even hear a gobble. First time all season. I am 0-6 better luck next year.

Yep Gen & Drew......Frank & Janice have to walk a fine line when it comes to shooting game.....People pay their money. So they want to shoot something.....Shane is no ambassador to conservation.....There were a least 2 members who shot 5 jakes this spring (3 & 2)......Having them come in and taking pictures just isn't enough for some.....Last deer season he had his "member/client" shoot a little 3x2 buck that Jacob & I passed on.....Per the rules of the club, it was a legal buck, but how about some restrain?..... ::)

Every hunt club has one or two game hogs........sad really sad for next year

I'm wondering if the early hatch is due to the hot Feb/Mar days we had where the Toms thought spring was here and started breeding...maybe?

2dogs1name said:
I'm wondering if the early hatch is due to the hot Feb/Mar days we had where the Toms thought spring was here and started breeding...maybe?

Scott,

No doubt......From the day of breeding to the hatching of the eggs is about a 45-60 day process......If hens starting laying eggs March 1st, then you would have poults about the size of the ones in the video.

It appears she has about 6 poults. That would mean she's lost half her clutch despite 2 foot grass.....Tough life out there for turkeys.

Yeah don't get me started on Shane. First and last time I ever share any info to him. I was in vid 3 when they shot those two jakes, I got a earful of reasons why they shot them but oh well. Those were the last two jakes in that area :(

Without clear rules on MCC, the guys who are willing to shoot are just going to take whatever they can get away with. Gen and I had jakes in our sights opening day but didn't shoot. A few days later those jakes were taken. It's been a tough spring but I still don't plan on shooting a jake. And if I see one, I probably won't talk about it till the season is over.

Walked up on this girl this morning.......Upset is an understatement!.......Did the old "I have a broken wing trick".......lol

Her nest or poults must have been nearby.

Attachments

• 101.JPG
    101.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 099.JPG
    099.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 34

Oh, and in case you were wondering if the jennys are still getting bred......This big guy was having his way with this young lady yesterday..... :-*

Attachments

• 094.JPG
    094.JPG
    714.2 KB · Views: 28

Lots of activity this weekend. Couldn't get any in close enough for a shot, but we had a great time talking to them.

Bonejour said:
Lots of activity this weekend. Couldn't get any in close enough for a shot, but we had a great time talking to them.

Don,

That's half the fun of turkey hunting.....Actually getting one is exhilarating to say the least.....Hopefully, next spring will bring us more gobbles & gobblers.

ps.....Have I mentioned lately turkey poachers/drive-by shooters suck!

1st Poults seen Today....4-27-16

There is a local group of birds that visit my property often. Today I saw the first hen with poults in the area. She had 5 poults in her group. Hopefully we get a good recruitment for next season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 at this stage is just so so...... :(

Remember, she started with 12.....It's time to start eliminating some predators.... ;)

ddeed7ed186a7dc5f62cb86a1e7c950c.jpg

Rough.. yea I saw a similar thing happen a season ago. Had a hen in my area with about 10 poults, which dropped to 5, then to 2 by late summer. Plenty of bobcat, crows, vultures in this area...

Poults on the trail cam............ 8)

Attachments

• poults 2016.jpg
    poults 2016.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 31
  • poults 2016 ll.jpg
    poults 2016 ll.jpg
    479.6 KB · Views: 35

More poults today.........This girl had 7.........That's more like it........... ;)

Gobblers still chasing hens when they can find one. Probably a jenny, but boy could she yelp!...She called in 5 jakes and a long........ :D

The last 2 long beards had 5 hens..... ;D

ps......I'll load the video later.

Attachments

• 072.JPG
    072.JPG
    842.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 071.JPG
    071.JPG
    960.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 058.JPG
    058.JPG
    701.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 062.JPG
    062.JPG
    942.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 080.JPG
    080.JPG
    914.2 KB · Views: 32

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu