A new guys journey to find a 2022 hunting spot: Intro and Volume 1

Mason, buy the best you can , it's important boots are comfortable. And slowly break them in. The pricy boots are more light weight. My first pair were from Kmart. Lasted me 20 years. They were comfortable. Just a little heavy. Yet I killed deer every year. Do the best you can in gear. Then save up for better stuff as you go.
One of the best tips about life in general I have heard was to always buy the best you can for anything that goes between you and the ground. Shoes/boots, tires, and a bed. Can never go wrong shelling out for good stuff in those categories.

Bottom line, buy the best you can afford. If you but the cheapest, you will not get quality that is for certain. you know what you budget is, do your research and get the best you can within that budget. I once bought an expensive pair of boots that had great reviews and they were crap. Since then I research everything I buy. I like to get first hand reviews from people I know who have tried a particular product.

Reactions: MasonP
Just one thing to add to that mason, there is no substitute for good boots with good tread, up above the ankle a good margin.
also consider snakes my friend they typically bite ankle to mid calf. I have a couple sets of boots all are water proof, one is snake bite and just under the knee high and then my snow boots which are also just under knee high.
Bass pro shop has some very good boots at good prices with plenty of stairs to run up and down before you buy. Pay special attention to the back of the heel, if the boot can slip up and down even a little you will have issues, ankle support twist an ankle a couple miles out and you could be in some serious trouble.
So ask me Boots are the priority of your trekking gear.
P.S, you can also get a set of Gator wraps for the snakes

Just one thing to add to that mason, there is no substitute for good boots with good tread, up above the ankle a good margin.
also consider snakes my friend they typically bite ankle to mid calf. I have a couple sets of boots all are water proof, one is snake bite and just under the knee high and then my snow boots which are also just under knee high.
Bass pro shop has some very good boots at good prices with plenty of stairs to run up and down before you buy. Pay special attention to the back of the heel, if the boot can slip up and down even a little you will have issues, ankle support twist an ankle a couple miles out and you could be in some serious trouble.
So ask me Boots are the priority of your trekking gear.
P.S, you can also get a set of Gator wraps for the snakes
I am headed to REI wednesday (need a few other things, so making it a 1 stop shop) and plan to try on a TON of boots. Im sure the salespeople will get tired of me after the 28th pair...

I plan on doing more than just hunting in them. The GF and I are gunna be camping, and I do a lot of hiking as well, so theyll sort of do double duty

Mason,

Take a ride to BPS or Sportsman's....Boots that are super expensive doesn't mean they will fit your foot....I try on as many as I can in my price range ($100.00-$200.00)

Finding 14 & 15's isn't easy and it seems everyone has a different interpretation of what a 14 or 15 is...Merrel's fit good, and whatever I got at BPS are great (pic)...2nd season, still waterproof, light, and sole is still solid.

.IMG_3502.JPG

Mason,

Take a ride to BPS or Sportsman's....Boots that are super expensive doesn't mean they will fit your foot....I try on as many as I can in my price range ($100.00-$200.00)

Finding 14 & 15's isn't easy and it seems everyone has a different interpretation of what a 14 or 15 is...Merrel's fit good, and whatever I got at BPS are great (pic)...2nd season, still waterproof, light, and sole is still solid.

.View attachment 52500
Steve, first off, sorry for not calling yesterday. Work was a nightmare. Day 5/7 today, 88 hour work week.

Second, I have my eye on a few pair right now, reviews seem great, but Im headed to try them on Wednesday. One of them, the color I was looking at is now sold out, just my luck. Will test out as many pairs as I can until I find one I like though. Im in desperate need of waterproof ones too, since thursday is now looking like rain, and thats the only day I have to go out.

Steve, first off, sorry for not calling yesterday. Work was a nightmare. Day 5/7 today, 88 hour work week.

Second, I have my eye on a few pair right now, reviews seem great, but Im headed to try them on Wednesday. One of them, the color I was looking at is now sold out, just my luck. Will test out as many pairs as I can until I find one I like though. Im in desperate need of waterproof ones too, since thursday is now looking like rain, and thats the only day I have to go out.

Mason,

Boots that are waterproof are a must...Real Gore-Tex is still the best in my book.

ps...I treat my boots too...Mink oil or Snow-proof

Sounds exactly like my experiences on difference was D13.
I am headed out to 11/13 probably the week after the New Year, weather permitting (this SoCal boy does NOT like snow). You are welcome to tag along, Ill be bringing my new XMas goodies.

One other tip, an possibly the most important:

Look into Sheepsfeet insoles.

Best money you will spend. Every boot needs better insoles. Every boot. Remember that. Hard to hunt effectively if your feet hurt.

Trust me on this one...

Best money you will spend. Every boot needs better insoles. Every boot. Remember that. Hard to hunt effectively if your feet hurt.

Trust me on this one...
And here I thought CVS purchased Dr Scholls was gunna be sufficient

Reactions: ilovesprig
I plan on doing more than just hunting in them. The GF and I are gunna be camping, and I do a lot of hiking as well, so theyll sort of do double duty
If my feet don't feel OK still after 12 miles than my boots or insoles aren't good enough is my test. But after a certain distance, usually around 15 for me, it's a given to get a little sore. This is why I go with a company with a good return policy. Can't test that sort of thing in store.

Reactions: MasonP

Trust me on this one...
I haven't done this but I've gotten some nice boots before that have come with worthless insoles. I've usually have returned the boots that came with terrible insoles, after spending what I did on the boots I've been pretty upset when the insoles flatten down to paper almost immediately.

If my feet don't feel OK still after 12 miles than my boots or insoles aren't good enough is my test. But after a certain distance, usually around 15 for me, it's a given to get a little sore. This is why I go with a company with a good return policy. Can't test that sort of thing in store.
Oh, definitely. I think thats why Im doing the boots themselves from REI...great selection of different brands, and a return policy that rivals costco.

either my feet keep changing or the boot manufactures can not built boot sizes correctly. or it's the Chinese made junk. I went from a size 9-1/2 when I was young to size eleven work boots. crazy.

Haha..good reading all of it.

I know a guy who landed a nice Buck on 15 his first time hunting that area.

Perhaps your eyes might not yet be trained to spot deer...it sounds strange but it can be true. So many times deer are in the area and we (all) can fail to see them.

What worked for me was tracking. Find the signs and follow. Eventually, you will find some fresh signs. Once you do, "be the deer"..lol. Where would they go? Why? soon you will bump one or two.

After that, you will realize that is actually how "not to hunt" but is a good way to see deer. If where you go doesn't have any signs then go to another area, and another and yet another.

I spent 2yrs trying to gather the proper gear. I had to get a decent pair of boots, decent socks and learn the layering system on clothing.

The best time to scout for deer where I hunt is summer. Finally, like others said; Glassing, glassing, and more glassing.

I was told it will take me 5yrs to take my first Buck. I did not believe it. Although I was close this past season I realized it took me 3 seasons before I could get myself into a situation where I could actually take one.

The enjoyment of hunting is all of it, the time in the woods, using your gear, and spotting a doe or a buck. I don't get frustrated anymore when I don't see a deer but rather I use it as a learning lesson, and boy if there is so much to learn.

Good luck.

either my feet keep changing or the boot manufactures can not built boot sizes correctly. or it's the Chinese made junk. I went from a size 9-1/2 when I was young to size eleven work boots. crazy.
I believe your feet are one of the tings that grow as you age. Also, they swell overtime as you hike so they will tighten up by the end of the day if you're on your feet a lot.

I believe your feet are one of the tings that grow as you age. Also, they swell overtime as you hike so they will tighten up by the end of the day if you're on your feet a lot.
I know of one thing that shrinks with age...Damn it..

• Haha
Reactions: 180ls1 and MasonP

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu