Adventure....

Day 1 my buddy Mike had first stalk and shot this great 4x3 buck at the end of the day... way too late and way too far from camp. It was a terrible hike out in rough terrain up over a mountain. We arrived in camp at 2:30am. I'm still hurting... the next morning was a rain day. I sunk the meat in the lake using a technique that preserves the meat for a few days before we call (satellite phone) a meat pickup. Ed FFB_IMG_1568923802518.jpg

NOW WERE TALKIN!! THATS A STUD SITKA!!

rain days look pretty good as i sit here at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
One of the biggest problems with this hunt is way too many bucks... We glassed long distances to try and plan a stalk that would be possible without bumping other deer. The vegetation is so thick its not possible to spot the other deer. Most stalks were foiled by other deer. Best scenario is to find a single buck away from the others. Our lowest day was about 15 bucks, because of the weather. We had a few 50+ buck days... most of which would make P&Y and a few B&C... pretty amazing to see and the best I've seen it in 6 trips. It is one bad winter away from losing most of them... Ed F20371.jpeg

Ed, Couple of questions, Bears are a real deal event, do you guys hunt together so as to provide security for one another ? also do you pack firearms in the event it gets real and if so what are you packing? A friend of mine hunted it years ago and got into a stand off that ended with all parties staying alive but he had to warn shoot to scare the bear away from his deer. What's your experience with this ?

Bear advice and experience is up next... we had our share.

On day three Mike snuck in from above on this P&Y forkey.... Packed him out in the dark after seeing 2 bears near camp. Arived at about 11pm and put the deer on the ground near the lake... til morning. A quick Mountain House and whiskey ... hit the sack right when the rain started. Ed FFB_IMG_1568923808800.jpg

Love this! On the bucket list for sure!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bears are the real deal on Kodiak... its what its known for. I follow all the rules... Our food and trash is kept in bear proof aluminum boxes we borrow from the flight service. The boxes are about 50 yards from the tents. We have a separate cooking tent and sleeping tent. No food in the sleeping tent. I have an electric bear fence around both tents. All the meat is kept down at the lake and sunk in about 5' of water 15 yards from the beach. I carried a Ruger Alaskan 2" 454 casull and Mike carried a Springfield semi auto 10mm. We do hunt together for more reasons than bear safety. We killed 3 deer... all were cut up and packed out at night.... not very smart.

I've been close to bears on Kodiak and never had a negative incident. When we went to sink the meat in the morning. There was an adult bear on it. Fortunately i had the wind in my favor and he was facing away... at 15 yards. The beach where the meat was down the embankment and couldn't be seen until you were on top of it. We quietly backed out undetected.

These are brown bear tracks that have been used over and over for hundreds of years. Ed FFB_IMG_1568923754050.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely not D16....Hard core is an understatement here duckers...sweet jesus...

Reactions: CazadorSuerte
What type of containers are the meat placed in, in order to submerge them in the water?

I'm assuming the Bear would still smell it's presence even though under the water? and perhaps still even try to go swim out and attempt to take it on occasion?

I put the meat in doubled up trash compactor bags, remove the air and tie a knot. Repeat the process for the second bag as insurance. Place the bag in a mesh bag and add a couple rocks to keep it on the bottom. Then I tie a rope to the package so a storm doesn't take it out into the lake. Then I walk it out as far as I can and let it sink. I've never lost one ounce of meat to spoilage or bears.... til this trip. Obviously the bear smelled it and went for a swim... bastards. We spent a tremendous amount of work getting that meat back to camp. Our mistake was leaving the second deer on the shore overnight... which I've done many times with no problems. I'm still pissed... Ed F

meat.jpg

Last edited:
in my head i see Ed with a straw waiting just under the surface to teach that bear a lesson.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris and TheGDog

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu