All you spots are belong to me. (I dont want ur spots)

Hiryuu

Aug 24, 2019
San Diego
So new hunter here, hello all. I'm new to hunting and obviously here to learn. So to start with short back story. I've been infatuated with hunting since elementary school. Kids were excused for up to 2 weeks to deer hunting, and I love venison. Until now I have not had the opportunity to hunt. I took my hunter course last week, and purchased my license and upland stamp today. No rifle for deer, and I know tags are sold out anyway, so maybe next year. As a note I do have onX and google earth for scouting.

Since the background is done let's get into the meat of it. My main game I plan on is rabbit, and hopefully I can find a fall turkey. Would like to maybe get a few game birds also. I don't want your spots, but I do have some questions.

I plan on hunting public land, Cleveland national forest. So my first and biggest question is: How do I actually enter public land to hunt? It was something I asked in my hunting safety class, but the instructor didnt really have an answer since he tended to hunt on club or private property. From what I gathered I cant just pull up to a trail head and pull out my shotgun/rifle and head off. Is it just dirt road pull offs to use, or can I just jump in off say the 8 freeway? So my second question is a bit mismashed on info. Hunter safety instructor was adamant that you can not have more than one weapon at any time. PC and regs seem to state different, so : Can I carry/concealed carry a pistol while rifle/shotgun hunting? I understand archery only is no firearms period, not worried about that since I dont immediately plan on any archery. I think my final question is also murky waters, but need to ask. One of the main things I plan on going for is rabbits. I planned on using a friends 22lr for rabbits. Given he cant just loan it to me unaccompanied, would he need a hunting license to accompany me on a hunt? His main role is being their with his rifle, but also an added safety measure and potential pack mule out. I'm disabled and cant quite hike/pack like I used to.

I know I will probably have a million more questions in the future, and wanted to thank yall for any help in advance. I've been lurking this forum for a few years, so thanks again.

So new hunter here, hello all. I'm new to hunting and obviously here to learn. So to start with short back story. I've been infatuated with hunting since elementary school. Kids were excused for up to 2 weeks to deer hunting, and I love venison. Until now I have not had the opportunity to hunt. I took my hunter course last week, and purchased my license and upland stamp today. No rifle for deer, and I know tags are sold out anyway, so maybe next year. As a note I do have onX and google earth for scouting.

Since the background is done let's get into the meat of it. My main game I plan on is rabbit, and hopefully I can find a fall turkey. Would like to maybe get a few game birds also. I don't want your spots, but I do have some questions.

I plan on hunting public land, Cleveland national forest. So my first and biggest question is: How do I actually enter public land to hunt? It was something I asked in my hunting safety class, but the instructor didnt really have an answer since he tended to hunt on club or private property. From what I gathered I cant just pull up to a trail head and pull out my shotgun/rifle and head off. Is it just dirt road pull offs to use, or can I just jump in off say the 8 freeway? So my second question is a bit mismashed on info. Hunter safety instructor was adamant that you can not have more than one weapon at any time. PC and regs seem to state different, so : Can I carry/concealed carry a pistol while rifle/shotgun hunting? I understand archery only is no firearms period, not worried about that since I dont immediately plan on any archery. I think my final question is also murky waters, but need to ask. One of the main things I plan on going for is rabbits. I planned on using a friends 22lr for rabbits. Given he cant just loan it to me unaccompanied, would he need a hunting license to accompany me on a hunt? His main role is being their with his rifle, but also an added safety measure and potential pack mule out. I'm disabled and cant quite hike/pack like I used to.

I know I will probably have a million more questions in the future, and wanted to thank yall for any help in advance. I've been lurking this forum for a few years, so thanks again.

welcome Hiryuu

#1) ammo has to be non lead, If hunt you with the 22LR or shot gun.. , pick up a low end shotgun for starters, you can hunt small & upland game both..
practice at the range with instructures if you need it, any military back ground?

#2) I try to go to national forest location were I can park and hike in a bit, then load my weopon.. no parking on the freeways , you will get a ticket..
trail heads are ok if not to many hikers, I try to stay away from them... I pick secluded areas were there is no issues with parking and hicking in.
a good 4x4 helps going on fire roads open to public..

welcome Hiryuu

#1) ammo has to be non lead, If hunt you with the 22LR or shot gun.. , pick up a low end shotgun for starters, you can hunt small & upland game both..
practice at the range with instructures if you need it, any military back ground?

#2) I try to go to national forest location were I can park and hike in a bit, then load my weopon.. no parking on the freeways , you will get a ticket..
trail heads are ok if not to many hikers, I try to stay away from them... I pick secluded areas were there is no issues with parking and hicking in.
Plan on picking up some CCI copper rounds next weekend from big 5, still working on bismuth shotgun rounds tho. I have an older 20ga bolt action scattergun. Also yes I was in the Army as an Infantryman.

As far as the freeway I didnt really mean the white line/fog line/ shoulder, more the dirt turnouts. From what I gathered it's legal to park in such a turnout for up to 24 hrs. Trail heads and parking lots were where I was real iffy. The less popular the better, obviously, but in such an instance should I just show up right when the gates open to avoid any headaches? Of course nothing would be loaded until legally able to do so.

Also I wish I had a 4x4. Hell even my tdi Jetta. I've gone on some rough roads and truck trails with it no problems. I'm currently stuck in a Prius my wife wanted so much. She drove it maybe a month total over 3 years, and now I'm stuck driving it. I dont drive it like a prius. Hell I've gotten worse speeding tickets in the prius vs my Jetta. Damn getting off subject

Anywho thank you.

Reactions: Smokey58
You can legally have another weapon concealed carry on your person when you're hunting. Not when archery hunting. And ONLY when you're hunting. I routinely carry a sidearm in the hip belt of my hunting pack, and transfer it into my pocket if I ever leave and separate from my hunting pack at any time while out there. Again, not while bow hunting. But if you have a CCW you can even carry concealed while bow hunting, as they cannot deprive you of that right if you have the CCW.

I doubt you'd have to have your friend with you if using his rifle. I'd just have in your truck something signed by him that grants you permission to use the rifle for lawful hunting purposes. And you be able to quote from memory your friends full name and address info. If questioned on the spot out in the field by green jeans.

RE: parking out in the forest. Note... some places.. if you are staying overnight require an overnight permission application in which you state from what date to what other date... and a rough description of where you're to be camping at within there. This helps the rangers so that when they keep passing by your car parked at X location... they can look it up via License plate and know that you're a guy out within their wilderness area camping overnight and that they don't yet have to actually worry that this car hasn't left yet. They know where you are more or less, and can tell the cavalry where to go to get you at, if you don't show back up at your vehicle after the alotted number of days.

welcome Hiryuu

Check the regulations, especially for your county. For example, in LA county, 22LR is not legal for Rabbit, Squirrel, other small game. Only shotgun. But in OC, IE you're cool with rifle. Also some places have a map that shows where you can and cannot use a firearms vs bow-only. Like in LA-county... all along the foothills.... you can't use rifle, only bow, because obviously they don't want some asshole with no sense shooting a round that ends up making it's way into a populated area just because the asshole wasn't thinking about the bullets trajectory. DM me if San Gabriel mtns will be part of your plan. I made scans of their firearms/archery zone map.

You can legally have another weapon concealed carry on your person when you're hunting. Not when archery hunting. And ONLY when you're hunting. I routinely carry a sidearm in the hip belt of my hunting pack, and transfer it into my pocket if I ever leave and separate from my hunting pack at any time while out there. Again, not while bow hunting. But if you have a CCW you can even carry concealed while bow hunting, as they cannot deprive you of that right if you have the CCW.

I doubt you'd have to have your friend with you if using his rifle. I'd just have in your truck something signed by him that grants you permission to use the rifle for lawful hunting purposes. And you be able to quote from memory your friends full name and address info. If questioned on the spot out in the field by green jeans.

RE: parking out in the forest. Note... some places.. if you are staying overnight require an overnight permission application in which you state from what date to what other date... and a rough description of where you're to be camping at within there. This helps the rangers so that when they keep passing by your car parked at X location... they can look it up via License plate and know that you're a guy out within their wilderness area camping overnight and that they don't yet have to actually worry that this car hasn't left yet. They know where you are more or less, and can tell the cavalry where to go to get you at, if you don't show back up at your vehicle after the alotted number of days.
Thank you for that conformation, I'm pretty sure you can cc the same while fishing. Valid license and legal to possess a firearm in said area. I.E. fishing random river in say CNF.

As far as I can tell from current California law if you lend any firearm to any one outside of direct family, it must be in the direct presence of the firearms owner, and no longer than 3 days maximum. I'm not sure if the infrequent use still applies, but I'm sure it still does. Family is 30 days and unaccompanied, as long as fsc/hsc (I'm guessing hunting licenses counts also) is had by lendee.

I've seen the adventures pass and other permits needed. I on getting one even if i used a turnout.

Check the regulations, especially for your county. For example, in LA county, 22LR is not legal for Rabbit, Squirrel, other small game. Only shotgun. But in OC, IE you're cool with rifle. Also some places have a map that shows where you can and cannot use a firearms vs bow-only. Like in LA-county... all along the foothills.... you can't use rifle, only bow, because obviously they don't want some asshole with no sense shooting a round that ends up making it's way into a populated area just because the asshole wasn't thinking about the bullets trajectory. DM me if San Gabriel mtns will be part of your plan. I made scans of their firearms/archery zone map.
That was something I did notice. Hollenbeck canyon was one place I was looking at, and its shotgun only. I plan on contacting the ranger stations of the areas to ensure I'm legal. Otay is very close to me and legal for hunting, but under blm management. I should be under the Descanso ranger district, and was gonna take a trip to alpine and visit their office. There is also a ranger facility at otay it seems so I will definitely check there. Still need to test and pattern my shotgun. New question do air guns count as rifles?

That was something I did notice. Hollenbeck canyon was one place I was looking at, and its shotgun only. I plan on contacting the ranger stations of the areas to ensure I'm legal. Otay is very close to me and legal for hunting, but under blm management. I should be under the Descanso ranger district, and was gonna take a trip to alpine and visit their office. There is also a ranger facility at otay it seems so I will definitely check there. Still need to test and pattern my shotgun. New question do air guns count as rifles?
They don't count as "FIREarms" because they do not use "FIRE" to expell their projectile. In fact, you can still use lead in your AirRifle! A Trip, right? But.. you need to make sure for the particular animal you are thinking about... that it specifically lists them among legal means of take for that animal.

Yes do that a certain type of Jack is protected, as I was told by the biologist in charge of the area.
All good stuff from Larry...
Valuable info.
Look on line for sheriff's no shooting areas. San Felipe is better quail.
Hollenbeck better for cotton tail.
Wear snake gaiters both areas.
My old partner all most sat on a rattler at hollenbeck.
Be prepared for ticks, means lots of game..

Yes do that a certain type of Jack is protected, as I was told by the biologist in charge of the area.
All good stuff from Larry...
Valuable info.
Look on line for sheriff's no shooting areas. San Felipe is better quail.
Hollenbeck better for cotton tail.
Wear snake gaiters both areas.
My old partner all most sat on a rattler at hollenbeck.
Be prepared for ticks, means lots of game..
Gaiters and permethrin are both on my list of get before I go out. Ticks need blood so if theres a lot of ticks it stands to reason there is a lot of game available. I'll look up the no shooting areas. Couldn't find anything on protected Jack's in hollenbeck, will definitely ask the rangers for more info.

Biologist told me this not sure if she was BS ing me.. also smudging with white sage (it's all over the place) and applying white vinegar all over keeps the bugs off
If you are sensitive to pesticides.
My ex bro in law (may he rip)
He was a Vietnam vet. Said when out in the woods ( or in his case Vietnam) don't use sweet smelling soap, after shave or deodorant..
It attracts bugs... Unscented every thing.... I use corn starch. They use to use it for baby's.. lol

Since I started wearing leafy suits and the matching leafy head gear that goes with it. Once you settle in. Hardly any bugs mess with ya. Occasionally you have to puff one away from your eye opening with a puff of breath, but that's about it. But... when you go to move somewhere else... they zero-in on your motion and are all over your case while you're moving. But with all that gear on, they can't really get to your skin. So you only bother with when they enter your eye-port area of the head-covering. It's really very cool. I used to try the ThermaCell device, but I really wasn't impressed with it's performance. Perhaps if I lived somewhere where mosquitos were really really bad I might. But yeah the chapparal flies we have... the ThermaCell stuff doesn't seem to phase 'em.

P.S. if you call them to ask... politely get the name of the person who told you X, Y and Z was the rules. I've heard that more then a few times n00bs get their answers wrong. So good to note down date and time and talked specifically to person blah-blah-blah so your side of it is well-documented.

Reactions: YETI
Not sure if parking off the freeway is legal or safe.. there's plenty of CNF areas with rabbits that I wouldn't want (or need) to park along the interstate.

Would recommend getting a shotgun as well.. lots of our CNF areas are overgrown right now, making for a tough rifle hunt for bunnies.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Not sure if parking off the freeway is legal or safe.. there's plenty of CNF areas with rabbits that I wouldn't want (or need) to park along the interstate.

Would recommend getting a shotgun as well.. lots of our CNF areas are overgrown right now, making for a tough rifle hunt for bunnies.
Yeah. For the freeway thing I was more meaning the little dirt roads/pulloffs not really the freeway shoulder. Shoulder is illegal to leave a vehicle in, unless its an emergency type situation. Still looking at various trail heads and truck trails that may work too.

I've seen a few posts recommending shotguns currently, and makes sense since we got a lot of rain early in the year. I have a old 20ga I need to test and pattern still, and don't wanna use steel shot, so looking looking to get some kent bismuth for it. Until then I'll try my luck with the .22

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Ya I purchased bismuth haven't had a chance to try it. It cost a little more I too have an old shotgun. No choice.
I bought 500 Mossberg modified barrel, very reasonable, very reliable.

When I was looking at getting a shotgun awhile back I was looking at the 590. I'm probably gonna look for something a little more suited for hunting next time I'm eyeing shotguns. Currently I have an old catalog bolt action 20ga.

Whoo lawdy you ain't lyin' man! Places where the growth might have come up to your boot-top before... now it's at your Hip (or more in some places)!

Reactions: Hiryuu

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu