Ammo shortage

Johns reloading bench. Well, when I use to own guns.

Dude! Same here, somehow all mine got lost when I moved. Crazy stuff this year happening, car accidents, fires, boating incidents...gun ownership is actually going down :laughing:

I can't find most steel shotgun ammo online and I'm certainly not paying $20 a box from someplace local. Good thing I have a somewhat decent supply.

Stopped by Big 5 yesterday to check ammo... fmj .223 @ $24.99 per box of 20, maybe that's why it's in stock and plenty of it, But no lead-free. A few mix shotgun shells available.

• Angry
Reactions: Smokey58 and MAG 1
The story I heard was that several years ago the government ordered an incredible amount of ammo for the military. This put production for consumers way back in priority. They never caught up.

• Haha
Reactions: cadeerhunter
Still seeing zip in regards to any steel shotgun shells. Dove is coming up soon and nothing. I've got mine but I know plenty of friends with next to nada. If they come begging to me I'll have to debate at what price I break down at, lol. Seriously though I'm starting to wonder when or if anything is going to drop and be in stock.

Ran into a "hunter" last week he said he was from LA. The gentleman drove all the way down to the IV with only lead shot and said he was pretty sure the warden wouldn't be out during this weather. The thing peeps do for a dove... risking a ticket. Might be a new trend.

Reactions: DMAX
Ran into a "hunter" last week he said he was from LA. The gentleman drove all the way down to the IV with only lead shot and said he was pretty sure the warden wouldn't be out during this weather. The thing peeps do for a dove... risking a ticket. Might be a new trend.

Rich,

I was down about a month ago...At least 3/4's of the shells that were left on the ground (Grrrr) were lead...I'm thinking opening day this year could be a ticketfest for wardens.

Rich,

I was down about a month ago...At least 3/4's of the shells that were left on the ground (Grrrr) were lead...I'm thinking opening day this year could be a ticketfest for wardens.
I do agree that it does suck that people don't obey the laws when we work so hard to adhere to them, but for christ sake the lead ban is total BS! We should be allowed to hunt with what ever bullet we like. So many great choices have been eliminated. It's sad and bothersome to me.

I do agree that it does suck that people don't obey the laws when we work so hard to adhere to them, but for christ sake the lead ban is total BS! We should be allowed to hunt with what ever bullet we like. So many great choices have been eliminated. It's sad and bothersome to me.

No argument from me, but it is what it is in this democrat run, libtard state.....I'm not giving up hunting, no matter what they throw at me.

No argument from me, but it is what it is in this democrat run, libtard state.....I'm not giving up hunting, no matter what they throw at me.
I wasn't trying to be argumentative either. Forgive me if I came across that way. I'm definitely with you, I just love to hunt!

I do wonder though, at which point some laws are going to be written that go so far that the mere fact they exist should be illegal. We're probably already there with a good handful of laws already. If some laws are so immoral at which point is it ok not to follow them? That probably deserves its own thread. Haha! Sorry not trying to derail.

Reactions: MJB
If you are going to shoot lead don't leave those hulls behind for me to pick up or I might caltip your ass out of the spot.

Reactions: 2duckhunter4
If you do shoot lead in a non-toxic area and you get busted, it won't do the rest of us any good at all if word gets out to the general public. And if you think this is strictly a CA issue, do some research. Many other states are in the process of legislating non-lead and the Feds have the National Parks non-lead for fishing [and I believe Federal Wildlife Areas for hunting]. Even MT is seriously looking at banning lead.

On another note, I reload everything but 22 rimfire and have for years. Just spent an hour looking at all my usual vendors and the only thing I can find for CA shotshell reloading are wads, steel shot, and Longshot powder. No primers, hulls, or other powder anywhere.

Local Big 5 has steel 7 1/2 in 12 ga for $11 plus smackers a box (ouch), but ammo is trickling back.

7 1/2 is too small for steel IMO. If you don't have any I guess get what you can get. I have enough that I'm waiting on my prefered brand shot size. I'm up in Tahoe area atm and all the Walmarts in Carson and Gardnerville are 100% out of all ammo the sportsman warehouse only had the better waterfowl loads starting at $20 a box, 12g only.

7 1/2 is too small for steel IMO. If you don't have any I guess get what you can get. I have enough that I'm waiting on my prefered brand shot size. I'm up in Tahoe area atm and all the Walmarts in Carson and Gardnerville are 100% out of all ammo the sportsman warehouse only had the better waterfowl loads starting at $20 a box, 12g only.

20 of these Euros didn't care for steel 7 1/2's yesterday....The other half didn't like 7's........ :joy:

.IMG_2301.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu