Ammo shortage

You can check Phillips wholesale web page for reloading components. They have some powder, Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester. Not much of any of these, Some bullets. They are in Covina. Might have something you need.

Well, I was doing a decal job in Yuma and decided to stop by Sportmans to check ammo levels. Pretty good rifle inventory on shelves but no dove loads only duck high priced stuff. I asked the employee that dove was around the corner and seeing no ammo for that was shitty.... and went on and said they have a bunch in the back but won't bring it out until a few days before dove season opens up. I asked why is that, he said because of hoarders and idiots buying and reselling them at a high price. I thought it kinda made sense but then also sucks for the casual dove hunter that needs a random box.

A quick question---Are the ammo prices so high everywhere because manufacturers are charging more at the wholesale level to retail stores or are the retail stores simply charging us more because they know we are desperate? Or is it a combination of the two?

A quick question---Are the ammo prices so high everywhere because manufacturers are charging more at the wholesale level to retail stores or are the retail stores simply charging us more because they know we are desperate? Or is it a combination of the two?

It is both. Manufacturing cost have gone up, so whole sale prices have gone way up. Transportations costs have gone up. Cost of keeping retail open has gone up.

Basically the compounding costs across the board makes it fairly large increase in prices on our end.

Then the demand has gone up, blowing through all time highs.

Doc,

I'd say a little of both...Turner's, $19.99 for Kent dove loads.....Sportsman's Warehouse, $9.98 for the same exact load...Sportsman's Warehouse is sold out...While Turner's has a ton, but selling them slowly but surely.

Those shells sold for $7.99 a year ago...Winchester/Wal-Mart was selling steel bricks of 4 boxes a year ago for $24.99.

.043.JPG

Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
Doc,

I'd say a little of both...Turner's, $19.99 for Kent dove loads.....Sportsman's Warehouse, $9.98 for the same exact load...Sportsman's Warehouse is sold out...While Turner's has a ton, but selling them slowly but surely.

Those shells sold for $7.99 a year ago...Winchester/Wal-Mart was selling steel bricks of 4 boxes a year ago for $24.99.

.View attachment 49833
Good thing that interest rates are so low. May have to get a home loan so I can buy some dove loads.

• Haha
Reactions: sportyg
Doc,

Go "Woke"...Explain to the warden that you relate to living in Montana and lead is legal there........:innocent:

Steve: Please don't mention Montana. I am here in CA and Montana is so far away. When I think about that fact I burst into tears. Never been to heaven, may never get there, but willing to bet that if there is a heaven that is truly paradise, it will look a hell of a lot like Montana. God Almighty---I love that place and I love the people in Montana, the whole attitude there! Will be there in Sept and again [with wife] in October. May never come back. Well, until the temps hit 30 below then SoCal looks really nice. You still thinking about Canada? Hope you can make it. Science says that for every day you spend in Montana or Alberta, you live a month longer. Actually, I just made that up but I bet it's true.

When you cross the border from Idaho into Montana, do you feel like you just came home? I always feel like this is where I'm supposed to be, the place where I belong.

Last edited:
Steve: Please don't mention Montana. I am here in CA and Montana is so far away. When I think about that fact I burst into tears. Never been to heaven, may never get there, but willing to bet that if there is a heaven that is truly paradise, it will look a hell of a lot like Montana. God Almighty---I love that place and I love the people in Montana, the whole attitude there! Will be there in Sept and again [with wife] in October. May never come back. Well, until the temps hit 30 below then SoCal looks really nice. You still thinking about Canada? Hope you can make it. Science says that for every day you spend in Montana or Alberta, you live a month longer. Actually, I just made that up but I bet it's true.

When you cross the border from Idaho into Montana, do you feel like you just came home? I always feel like this is where I'm supposed to be, the place where I belong.

Yep...When I hit the border, I know I'm exactly 240 miles from cousin Ron's house...I won't be there until Oct 4th this year and will miss the waterfowl opener for the 1st time in 5 years...Won't be missing the pheasant opener and of course, sharpies, huns, grouse, ruffies, along with waterfowl will get chased for almost 3 weeks...Cant' wait.

.037.JPG

Doc,

I am not happy that it appears that Turners seems to of gotten so much of the Kent Steel Dove and is charing that. I got the last 2 cases of that for $74 with shipping. I feel like and idiot for not buying 10 of them back then.

Very good article on ammo shortage, from the mainstream media. It actually explains things fairly well. Lots of new guns, new gun owners, hoarding for Doomsday, learning defensive shooting. Law enforcement having a tough time getting ammo. Based upon ammo laws in CA, it is particularly bad here.

When you read the article [if you do---only takes a few minutes] look at the number of first time gun buyers last year, 8,000,000. That's 8,000,000 votes. I actually think the 2nd Amendment may be in a safer position today than one year ago.

On a second note, I belong to the Rainbow Shooting Club just east of Fallbrook. Normally, it is packed. I went twice in the past two weeks to sight in some centerfire rifles and rimfire rifles. The high power rifle area is usually shoulder to shoulder and the rimfire area usually has at least 2 or 3 other shooters. Both times I went, both of these areas were empty---just me. Asked rangemaster about it. His response was that the heat may have something to do with it but the main reason is because shooters can't get ammo and if they do, they don't want to waste it on shooting at targets.

You San Diego guys see any Lead-Free .223 or 5.56 up in your areas? Can't find any down here in the IV and want to hunt some yotes. thanks for any locations that might have some. I was in Palm Springs area and hit up 2nd Amendment and when I asked the guys they looked at me with a look of confusion and then said no they don't have any only FMJ crap.

If everyone would just get rid of all your firearm, ammo shortage would be one less thing to concern yourself with. Then go out and join PETA, the Sierra club, or maybe Greenpeace. Then rather than getting together for a Kill it and grill it BBQ, everyone could sit a round a campfire, natural gas, not environment destroying firewood. and sing Kumbaya my friends.

You San Diego guys see any Lead-Free .223 or 5.56 up in your areas? Can't find any down here in the IV and want to hunt some yotes. thanks for any locations that might have some. I was in Palm Springs area and hit up 2nd Amendment and when I asked the guys they looked at me with a look of confusion and then said no they don't have any only FMJ crap.

Rick,

Have you called John at Fine Firearms?

Reactions: IVhunter

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu