Ammo shortage

My friend who looks into the future by the next minute told me he is having trouble finding the ammo he needs for up coming Elk hunt. I should say he is having trouble with the price of the ammo he wants. All I told him was, you are spending upwards of $3k on the hunt and you are worried about an additional $55 for ammo. Option, leave gun home and take camera. All he said was, well John, not everyone is a hoarder. Hoarder is such a harsh word. I like to think of it as being a collector.

My friend who looks into the future by the next minute told me he is having trouble finding the ammo he needs for up coming Elk hunt. I should say he is having trouble with the price of the ammo he wants. All I told him was, you are spending upwards of $3k on the hunt and you are worried about an additional $55 for ammo. Option, leave gun home and take camera. All he said was, well John, not everyone is a hoarder. Hoarder is such a harsh word. I like to think of it as being a collector.

John,

I would like to think of myself as being prepared collector...I invested into a lot of ammo that I thought would enable me to hunt the next 5+ years...By then I'll be almost 80 and probably won't give a $hit...lol

And I don't get the a box of shells cost mentality either...I hear the same thing about turkey loads...If you're a really, really good turkey hunter...You may get 5 shots a year (3 in Cali, a couple out of state)...A box of 5 Hevi-Shot Blend or TSS is around 50-60 bucks...Do you really want to shoot something at that moment of truth, that isn't the best that there is?

John,

I would like to think of myself as being prepared collector...I invested into a lot of ammo that I thought would enable me to hunt the next 5+ years...By then I'll be almost 80 and probably won't give a $hit...lol

And I don't get the a box of shells cost mentality either...I hear the same thing about turkey loads...If you're a really, really good turkey hunter...You may get 5 shots a year (3 in Cali, a couple out of state)...A box of 5 Hevi-Shot Blend or TSS is around 50-60 bucks...Do you really want to shoot something at that moment of truth, that isn't the best that there is?
110% agree. The day I saw you at BP Greg was there looking for the ammo he wanted but they were out. He still hasn't got it. I did tell him if push comes to shove, I have some 165 gr. ammo he could have for the hunt, he told me he wants 180 gr. back to the camera.

110% agree. The day I saw you at BP Greg was there looking for the ammo he wanted but they were out. He still hasn't got it. I did tell him if push comes to shove, I have some 165 gr. ammo he could have for the hunt, he told me he wants 180 gr. back to the camera.
GDL, what ammo is your buddy in need of I can check our big 5. It had a good variety the other day.

Gundoglover 180 gr what brand I think I have some federal or winchester will look all lead though.

If I was a "hoarder" I'd make out like a bandit parting with some of the hoard. As is I feel lucky to of bought what I did when I did and feel dumb for not of buying more. $78 for a case of 12g Kent steel dove, $119 for 3" Fasteel... Never ever will those prices exist. I still have not seen any steel field loads in 12g online for a year now.

Just picked up these stupid things to be CA compliant for the D zone that starts next Saturday....hoping I don't have to ever fire a round..( never seems to be the case though) gonna be a long 30 days...they sure look pretty though..$5 a round....chump change..Screenshot_20211001-093622~2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Just picked up these stupid things to be CA compliant for the D zone that starts next Saturday....hoping I don't have to ever fire a round..( never seems to be the case though) gonna be a long 30 days...they sure look pretty though..$5 a round....chump change..
I like pretty rounds.

• Love
Reactions: Smokey58
I just can't find the ammo I want anywhere. So I bought a new rifle and now Im set. A friend also offered me 6 rounds of my goto, so perhaps that will be more than enough. The CA compliant is difficult. Now I know to grab very early. Eh o well. I scouted and tried with my AO tag but fires seemed to prevent me from entering every spot I new.

I may have what you need, Picked up some Ammo and I remember seeing some heavy 06 rounds, in brown boxes.
I ll check and get back to you, when you leaving ?

Il can check tonight, maybe we are close enough to get them to you tomorrow if I do have them.

Maybe we can start a barter ammo post
like I have some 45 long colt, some 45/70 and need some 308

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu