Ammo shortage

You San Diego guys see any Lead-Free .223 or 5.56 up in your areas? Can't find any down here in the IV and want to hunt some yotes. thanks for any locations that might have some. I was in Palm Springs area and hit up 2nd Amendment and when I asked the guys they looked at me with a look of confusion and then said no they don't have any only FMJ crap.
Good luck. Took me a year to find any and when I did I bought the place out. All 2 boxes of it.

Reactions: IVhunter and MAG 1
What the shortage is doing is forcing CA hunters to AZ for dove, as they still allow lead shot for upland game. I have a fairly large supply of 28ga. lead, and it's hard to find steel in 28 anywhere right now. Also can't find the steel shot to be able to reload any of my empties.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Well the lack of availability of ammo sure made me shoot good for the first dove season. Close to 50% hits by some act of god... but knowing what a pain it is to find ammo I noticed myself picking good shots. And even shooting as good as I did I found myself cringing at some of the misses I did have.

I'm still skeptical if I'll be able to make the 12g #6 I have last though the rest of upland season on quail and dove again.
Still hoping to find some more Federal Upland or Kent Steel Dove in 12g #6 at non bend over prices.

Well the lack of availability of ammo sure made me shoot good for the first dove season. Close to 50% hits by some act of god... but knowing what a pain it is to find ammo I noticed myself picking good shots. And even shooting as good as I did I found myself cringing at some of the misses I did have.

I'm still skeptical if I'll be able to make the 12g #6 I have last though the rest of upland season on quail and dove again.
Still hoping to find some more Federal Upland or Kent Steel Dove in 12g #6 at non bend over prices.

I was at the Sportsman's warehouse yesterday in Murrieta....Plenty of duck & goose loads, but no low base dove or quail loads that I saw.

ps....Lots of 9mm & .22 on hand as well.

Went down to see My BBAR the other day and I was amazed no line to get in, 30 to 40 Rifles and handguns to sell, and a fair amount of ammo on the shelves. now to get these crazy prices down figure the cheep shit is 125 to 175 a round and any good none lead round 250 and higher a round.
I did fine some in 500 quantities that got it down to 1dollar a round

Last edited:
This thread is becoming a conspiracy theory big time and should not be that . You all need to settle down and know it is a hoarding issue coupled with an adminstration change.Chill... If you were worried you should have bought ammo may years ago and not waited for folks to panic..
The fact is this is far from over, we should not let our guards down.
The reason it did slow down was the opposition that swelled up enough to raise concerns, we need to slowly stock up and avoid any Hoarding. we are coming back on line and do not want to provide a reason from them to shut things down again

Went to our local Big 5 yesterday and they had plenty of ammo in all calibers.... Even found some .223 lead free which I had never seen in that store. $40 bucks for 20 rnds. Yotes watch out I'm coming for them.

Going to have to Make the rounds saturday, Bass Pro shop, Big Five, Turners. Stock up on my 308, 22, slug

Price of copper ammo should be going up to reflect copper price. I had one old copper pipe laying around for some time so I decided to clean up little around here, #1 copper $2.99/lb. scrap price. Grandson took his aluminum cans in and got $1.89/lbs.. He walked away smiling. $171.00.

Absolutely everything is priced sky high right now. Have you looked into, not only new vehicles but used ones. It's crazy out there, gas, food, household goods, you name it it's out of hand. We always see ups and downs, but this time the downs may not go down as much as time past. Plenty of places have gas going for $5, around me it's pushing or over $4. Thanks Joe and all your liberal friends.

I passed there today. Sadly no lead free 20g field loads.

well, they had one box of bismuth and I’m not paying $39 for a box of field shells. At least not yet.
I bought a .20 gauge pre pandemic figuring if the SHTF, all the .12g would get snapped up and I’d be sitting pretty. That didn’t work out too well. Managed to get a half dozen boxes of 7 1/2 last year simply by blind luck, no #6 to be found at any price. Same with my 22-250. Best I could do was 2 boxes at $50 a box from GunBroker. At the time, they were the only two boxes in the whole country!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
Just saw this now. If you factor in shipping and FFL fee, that’s over $10.00 per round!! No love for the .20 gauge man...B27A4B9F-A2F8-4A31-B445-17CE88778F12.png

Absolutely everything is priced sky high right now. Have you looked into, not only new vehicles but used ones. It's crazy out there, gas, food, household goods, you name it it's out of hand. We always see ups and downs, but this time the downs may not go down as much as time past. Plenty of places have gas going for $5, around me it's pushing or over $4. Thanks Joe and all your liberal friends.

Biden is the new Jimmy Carter.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu