Anti-hunters

Thejoebrewer

Sep 6, 2018
So without giving away a spot, I was out this morning on some public and from previous knowledge and observation, know the birds roost up on the adjacent private. Heard some other guys calling about 2-300 yards to my “11 o clock” near the property line but very much legal. About 930 as the both of us are working these birds, the homeowner let’s her dogs out and begins screaming at the other guys that they’re hunting her property and “her birds”. Knowing my on-x lines from e-scouting, they were good. They tried to tell her that and she had none of it. Called the cops, wardens, and some family came flying in there looking for these guys as they walked away. I picked up and left too, did not want to deal with her. Driving out I talked to the warden who said he’s on our side and knows where I was talking about.
I hope these guys got out ok, and let this serve as a promotion for on-x. If you don’t have it you should. Know the lines, because you better believe the anti’s know them.
Stay safe and shoot straight.

So without giving away a spot, I was out this morning on some public and from previous knowledge and observation, know the birds roost up on the adjacent private. Heard some other guys calling about 2-300 yards to my “11 o clock” near the property line but very much legal. About 930 as the both of us are working these birds, the homeowner let’s her dogs out and begins screaming at the other guys that they’re hunting her property and “her birds”. Knowing my on-x lines from e-scouting, they were good. They tried to tell her that and she had none of it. Called the cops, wardens, and some family came flying in there looking for these guys as they walked away. I picked up and left too, did not want to deal with her. Driving out I talked to the warden who said he’s on our side and knows where I was talking about.
I hope these guys got out ok, and let this serve as a promotion for on-x. If you don’t have it you should. Know the lines, because you better believe the anti’s know them.
Stay safe and shoot straight.
This happens too often in California. My in laws recently moved from an area like you described. We'll call it South of Julian and East of Alpine. The folks out there were something else. Running people off CNF acting like it's their property, feeding wild game like pets, you name etc and horrible drivers too.

I miss the hunting access and being able to go shooting on the old property, but don't miss the neighbors!

Just be thankful we have the amount of public lands we do have.

That's a shame. Hunter's harassment is illegal too. Can the wardens knock on her door and put her in her place? I can guarantee she knows where her property lane ends.
I have heard the "my birds" comment before...how can one prove the birds are indeed their property?

I don't see anything wrong with standing up strong and not let people intimidate hunters.

That's a shame. Hunter's harassment is illegal too. Can the wardens knock on her door and put her in her place? I can guarantee she knows where her property lane ends.
I have heard the "my birds" comment before...how can one prove the birds are indeed their property?

I don't see anything wrong with standing up strong and not let people intimidate hunters.

Those birds belong to everyone of us if they are on public land..even when they go onto a private property they don't belong to that land owner. I would have had the wardens issue her a citation for harrassment after I showed them I was clearly on public land with OnX. I always set my tracker and make sure I download maps of the areas I am in for offline use.

Those birds belong to everyone of us if they are on public land..even when they go onto a private property they don't belong to that land owner. I would have had the wardens issue her a citation for harrassment after I showed them I was clearly on public land with OnX. I always set my tracker and make sure I download maps of the areas I am in for offline use.
Good luck with that, The game wardens we have skirt the absolute edge of the law and probably would not have the courage or ability to violate these folks I had the same thing happen way back when (early 90's and the warden told me it was not hunter harresment because they were on their property) and was shy to confront and talk to that person). I know exactly where that happened because it happened to me in the 90's and nothing has or will change. Probably the best thing you could is go out there every weekend throughout the year and do what they do until they compromise and let you hunt in silence and give them some peace from what they are doing to you.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
There's people that feed these birds and think of them as their pets...

Amen! Just saw a killer doc on him on KPBS yesterday. The man was a genuine badass!
Yes he was way prolific in his thoughts about preservation and wildlife. Thankful he was around to give us the opportunity to hunt and enjoy nature.

Reactions: ilovesprig
When I talked to the warden he did seem intent on going to hunter harassment route, we’ll see. My question, for some of you seasoned hunters, these birds are likely habituated to being there, probably being fed etc etc. I’m sure they can be “got” but do you think that’s maybe a later season thing when they lose their hens or just move along from these birds? I can see them between gaps in the brush, there’s some limb hangers in there no doubt and I’ll guess there’s at least 4 gobblers. I’m almost making it my mission to get one of “her birds” now but I don’t want to get tunnel vision on these birds. What’s y’all’s thoughts?

Yardbirds..gonna stay Yardbirds...specially if the little old lady is feeding them...

Yardbirds..gonna stay Yardbirds...specially if the little old lady is feeding them...

Yep...Hard to pull off property like this, but not impossible...The sweet sound of a young hen has been the downfall of many a tom...Late in the season, when they have lost all their girlfriends is the time to pull 'em.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu