Arroz con liebre estilo manchego ( sort of )

I have found there is very little meat, fish, fowl, ect, ect which can't be made edible with enough, spices, herbs, seasoning or marinades, but the real test is, is it edible without any of the above. That is how I determine if something actually has a good flavor. I Take a piece of wild game, cook it all by itself, if I like it that way then I may dress it up for a variety of other flavors., or not. I hate to cover up the taste of any meat.

What I learned with the meat from my first deer, was that if I placed the pieces to sit in some water while they were defrosting, it extracted more of the blood out from within the muscle and this did much to remove the perception of the meat being "gamey". But the biggest thing was just making sure to very carefully remove all viscera and tendon sheathing (aka silver-skin). The clear viscera coating, is the worst part as far as contributing a bad smell/taste. Seemed like as long as I took my time to shave that off with my boning (fillet shaped) knife, everything tasted great.

(This was from my Bow Buck, the smallest one soo far.)

Steven Rinella ate coyote. Meat Eater.
Yeah... but he cooked it in very primitive conditions and with virtually no prep work. My point being that if done right, there's usually a trick to where you can make anything taste great... once you know what those tricks in the kitchen are. And NO... I'm not talking about just standing back and throws peppers at stuff! (Some of us can't eat them).

My 16 year old son and I live in west los angeles and will be hunting jackrabbit this weekend. Any suggestions regarding area would be greatly appreciated.

My 16 year old son and I live in west los angeles and will be hunting jackrabbit this weekend. Any suggestions regarding area would be greatly appreciated.
I'm originally from Wyoming and have eaten many rabbits. It's his first hunting experience and we'll eat whatever we kill.

Looks good well done I usually soak them in salt water for several hours then slice some peppers and tomato ,onions, garlic on a skillet shred the back legs and back strap come out good and a side guacamole and modelo beer

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I like the idea of this Arroz con Liebre, Manchego style. Maybe throw in some hard to find spanish chorizo or Linguica and make me a Poor Man's Paella Valencia... o_O

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu