Band tails are up soon who's going?

Yep.......Despite only being allowed 2 nowadays. I love hunting them.......It was really special when we were allowed 7 (then 4).

Attachments

• IMG_9623.JPG
    IMG_9623.JPG
    654.8 KB · Views: 37
ilovesprig said:
Yep.......Despite only being allowed 2 nowadays. I love hunting them.......It was really special when we were allowed 7 (then 4).

When was this sprig? I missed out

Saw flocks of them back in October…. might give it a shot this year. Maybe combine with a mtn quail hunt so I don't feel guilty about leaving the dogs behind.

Kellendv said:
Saw flocks of them back in October…. might give it a shot this year. Maybe combine with a mtn quail hunt so I don't feel guilty about leaving the dogs behind.

Wait combine it with mt quail
Always but why leave
The dogs mine goes every where. He just lays down while we call.

Sdbirds said:
ilovesprig said:

When was this sprig? I missed out

70's & 80's.........Palomar Mt, Mt Pinos, and Frazier Park were the bomb......1000's of birds......Then avian cholera hit Oregon & Washington......Probably lucky we even have a season at all.

There were some good numbers of band tails this weekend in the hills around Lake Henshaw.

Sdbirds said:
Wait combine it with mt quail
Always but why leave
The dogs mine goes every where. He just lays down while we call.

They are english setters, and when they are in the field they never stop moving. I suppose I could leash them to a tree or something while I shoot a couple pigeons.

A few pix from the past......70's & 80's......Palomar Mt., Lake Isabella, Ortega Hwy, & Mt Alamo/Frazier Pk.

Attachments

• IMG_9896.JPG
    IMG_9896.JPG
    379.1 KB · Views: 33
I'm going to be honest... ive never even seen one of these in real life! Interesting 2 bird limit. Are these more of "border birds"? I saw some info saying Henshaw, but just curious if they don't venture further north like mournings do (similar to how it was with Euros).

8SteelTown said:
I'm going to be honest... ive never even seen one of these in real life! Interesting 2 bird limit. Are these more of "border birds"? I saw some info saying Henshaw, but just curious if they don't venture further north like mournings do (similar to how it was with Euros).

Data below was copied from the U.S. Forest Service data base

The breeding range of the Pacific band-tailed pigeon occurs from southwestern British Columbia; south along the western side of the Sierra Nevada and Cascade Range to Baja California Norte, Mexico, and extreme western Nevada. Pacific band-tailed pigeons may be either residents or migrants. Pacific band-tailed pigeons in the northern portion of their range are strongly migratory, although resident populations have been reported in Seattle, Washington and Portland, Oregon. Wintering grounds are from San Francisco, California, south to Ensenada, Baja California Norte. Fall migration routes to wintering grounds follow coastal mountain ranges and 2 migration corridors southward. One route follows the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada, and the 2nd route is along the Coast Ranges. Both routes converge in the Transverse Range in Ventura County, California, and continue to southern California and Baja California Norte.

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 151
NBK said:
8SteelTown said:

Data below was copied from the U.S. Forest Service data base

The breeding range of the Pacific band-tailed pigeon occurs from southwestern British Columbia; south along the western side of the Sierra Nevada and Cascade Range to Baja California Norte, Mexico, and extreme western Nevada. Pacific band-tailed pigeons may be either residents or migrants. Pacific band-tailed pigeons in the northern portion of their range are strongly migratory, although resident populations have been reported in Seattle, Washington and Portland, Oregon. Wintering grounds are from San Francisco, California, south to Ensenada, Baja California Norte. Fall migration routes to wintering grounds follow coastal mountain ranges and 2 migration corridors southward. One route follows the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada, and the 2nd route is along the Coast Ranges. Both routes converge in the Transverse Range in Ventura County, California, and continue to southern California and Baja California Norte.

Well geez... a simple NO would've sufficed ;D Thanks for that info. I'll have to keep a harder eye out for them. I've seen plenty of pigeon, mourning, and euro, just none of these.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu