Band tails are up soon who's going?

8SteelTown said:
NBK said:
8SteelTown said:
I'm going to be honest... ive never even seen one of these in real life! Interesting 2 bird limit. Are these more of "border birds"? I saw some info saying Henshaw, but just curious if they don't venture further north like mournings do (similar to how it was with Euros).

Data below was copied from the U.S. Forest Service data base

The breeding range of the Pacific band-tailed pigeon occurs from southwestern British Columbia; south along the western side of the Sierra Nevada and Cascade Range to Baja California Norte, Mexico, and extreme western Nevada. Pacific band-tailed pigeons may be either residents or migrants. Pacific band-tailed pigeons in the northern portion of their range are strongly migratory, although resident populations have been reported in Seattle, Washington and Portland, Oregon. Wintering grounds are from San Francisco, California, south to Ensenada, Baja California Norte. Fall migration routes to wintering grounds follow coastal mountain ranges and 2 migration corridors southward. One route follows the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada, and the 2nd route is along the Coast Ranges. Both routes converge in the Transverse Range in Ventura County, California, and continue to southern California and Baja California Norte.

Well geez... a simple NO would've sufficed ;D Thanks for that info. I'll have to keep a harder eye out for them. I've seen plenty of pigeon, mourning, and euro, just none of these.

They like pines and oaks

Found a bunch today..........Public land too..........Band on a tail feather.

Attachments

• IMG_9928.JPG
    IMG_9928.JPG
    719.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9930.JPG
    IMG_9930.JPG
    642 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9933.JPG
    IMG_9933.JPG
    588.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9934.JPG
    IMG_9934.JPG
    480 KB · Views: 20
Similar Don........But the yellow feet, slate grey body, white ring on neck, and larger size makes them quite different......They also live high in the trees......The 3 pics have birds in 3 different kinds of trees......Pine, black oak, and spruce.

Sdbirds said:
8SteelTown said:
NBK said:
8SteelTown said:
I'm going to be honest... ive never even seen one of these in real life! Interesting 2 bird limit. Are these more of "border birds"? I saw some info saying Henshaw, but just curious if they don't venture further north like mournings do (similar to how it was with Euros).

Data below was copied from the U.S. Forest Service data base

The breeding range of the Pacific band-tailed pigeon occurs from southwestern British Columbia; south along the western side of the Sierra Nevada and Cascade Range to Baja California Norte, Mexico, and extreme western Nevada. Pacific band-tailed pigeons may be either residents or migrants. Pacific band-tailed pigeons in the northern portion of their range are strongly migratory, although resident populations have been reported in Seattle, Washington and Portland, Oregon. Wintering grounds are from San Francisco, California, south to Ensenada, Baja California Norte. Fall migration routes to wintering grounds follow coastal mountain ranges and 2 migration corridors southward. One route follows the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada, and the 2nd route is along the Coast Ranges. Both routes converge in the Transverse Range in Ventura County, California, and continue to southern California and Baja California Norte.

Well geez... a simple NO would've sufficed ;D Thanks for that info. I'll have to keep a harder eye out for them. I've seen plenty of pigeon, mourning, and euro, just none of these.

They like pines and oaks

Makes sense... don't have any pines and barely any oaks up here.

Great 2 days of band-tail hunting.........Knew this was going to be a good year........I would like to propose that they raise the limit to at least 3......... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_9957.JPG
    IMG_9957.JPG
    742.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9954.JPG
    IMG_9954.JPG
    753.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9955.JPG
    IMG_9955.JPG
    875.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9941.JPG
    IMG_9941.JPG
    600.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9939.JPG
    IMG_9939.JPG
    638.9 KB · Views: 27
Yep.......There's still some out there.......Got these 2 after hunting honkers in the morning........ :D

Attachments

• IMG_9966.JPG
    IMG_9966.JPG
    647.3 KB · Views: 49
yes steve me and my buddie, notice the heads and wings still attached, and also no location revieling, background, thanks for all the input.

:Still a newbie, and still learning!

steveo007 said:
yes steve me and my buddie, notice the heads and wings still attached, and also no location revieling, background, thanks for all the input.

:Still a newbie, and still learning!

Aaahhh,,,,, but you're learning fast.

Stevo.........Not trying to rag on you........It's just that there's so many laws that Mr Green Jeans just love writing tickets for.......Even at my age and experience, I find things that are little known laws in California........Just trying to watch out for our own......... ;)

Pigeons were flying again this morning............ ;D

Attachments

• IMG_9971.JPG
    IMG_9971.JPG
    787.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9977.JPG
    IMG_9977.JPG
    773.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9981.JPG
    IMG_9981.JPG
    758.7 KB · Views: 37
Woke up and decided on a whim to go out since the season is so short. Nice hunt by myself.

Attachments

• image.jpg_thumb1.png
    image.jpg_thumb1.png
    961.3 KB · Views: 73

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu