Blind markers at wister

I don know if there's a new map this year. Here's the latest one I know of online (it has GPS numbers for the parking lots)...

...they may have something different this season though.
That one is pretty old but should still work for the lots. That map is before the fish hatchery was converted to hunting ponds years ago and became 413East with 413B becoming 413West which has all changed back this year to 413A and B but extends to the 111.

Interesting, I've spent days driving around Wister driving and walking about every dike during dove season, work party-trailer move in day, quail opener, Friday before the opener and 3 days a week since. It has the most signage and most helpful staff it's had since I started going there in the 80's. They're currently out repainting the lettering on some wood signs that I can read from my truck in the dark already. They have new directions to the lot signs that have never existed. A new improved map and gps numbers for blind markers. Some blinds can't be entered from the way they were historically because of foot bridges falling apart so they are marked to come in from the other end. You can park in any lot you want, the days of assigned lots and spaces have been gone for years. This allows you to walk a few hundred extra yards on muddy days and keep your truck out of a ditch. It's not exactly a wilderness experience, some people should stick to mallIwe
I went down to Wister for the first time this year, I never expect to much to change year to year but this year things did get done in the off season and the place looks a little better groomed and the signage around the refuge is the best I can remember in many years. I've hunted Wister for many years and i have never had a rude word said to me through many staff changes, the staff a generally nice friendly people. as always hats off to the Wister staff for there hard work and patience.

Not to get into a fight about it, but what was he banning you for? Sounds like things got out of hand, and maybe you responded in kind?

If you don't feel that was warranted, I'd be contacting him again and try to discuss now that the situation is over. Cooler heads prevail

Last edited:
Based off OP’s multiple posts on this thread I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t all David’s fault. I’ll see him tomorrow I’ll ask

Hunted Sunday and the guy in the blind behind us clearly was not at his blind stake, in fact he was a good 150 yards and a full dike off. Luckily not much flying between us and when we met him at the truck was apologetic once he knew where we were. He didn't know that he should have been in the island blind, not a dike blind. Too bad he wasn't in the right spot, 2 snows flew over where he should have been about 10 yards up. I do like the new lot signs and I think the staff has made an extra effort this year to put better signage out.

Ass grass or cash no one rides for free.

That one is pretty old but should still work for the lots. That map is before the fish hatchery was converted to hunting ponds years ago and became 413East with 413B becoming 413West which has all changed back this year to 413A and B but extends to the 111.
Yeah, SoCalHunt has a bit newer version marked 2018-2019. I was hoping for one that had GPS of the blind locations as well. Thanks guys!

Wister has always been the polar opposite of San Jac in regards to blinds and signage , Besides Tom giving detailed information on how to get to your blind and the hazards of that particular blinds , deep water , over grown etc... the place is pretty easy to navagate. Wister on the other hand can be a pretty intimidating especially for individuals new or newer to the refuge , poorly marked roads , poorly marked blinds , parking areas etc.. and in the past the indiviuals of the refuge were of little help , " ask for directions and they'd point and say "down the road make a right " .

However this year my experience is vastly different than the OP's , parking area was easy to find , lot was clearly marked , blind marker appeared to be new , and when we checked our birds in the refuge associates were more talkative and personable than at anytime in the past.

Anyone can have a bad experience , and waterfowl hunting can really put a person on edge , lack of sleep , long drives , missing shots , the list goes on . That being said with the limited hunting opportunities here in our great state I'd hate to lose one , it may be better to extend the olive branch even if you're in the right and keep ones options open.

Good luck and have a great rest of the season.

The seriousness of ppl not finding a blind and hunting non hunt spots is unacceptable. Seems to be a common occurrence.
For me it pisses me off even more to think the adorable family could of got a ticket. Really upset me noone would listen.grr. still cant find someone to listen. Seems mr sewell is unavailable as the staff would not give me info to anyone that could help this situation.

FOW.
THINKING WE,I NEED THAT VOLUNTEER GROUP.
pisses me off so bad i wanna make the signs.

He cant ban me for doing thert thing.if he does its a abuse of power and ill fix it.
iI think alot of my anger comes for just flat broken hearted. I lost my girlfriend my dad past.
Stepsister attacking me.
Just triin to do the rt. Things and always seems to go south.
Ima become a hermit and go off grid.lol. i dont think i can do that.
I dont know why but i have this incredible erge to make self know for makin this a better place.
Seems the harder i try the deeper the hole gets.
Whatever seems this is my life.

BTW I talked to a few dfg personnel got to talk to the head guy of salton sea. I am eventually gonna talk to Sewell. But this wont be over until somethings done. I promise this is something that needs to be addressed. I hunt refuges up north and NEVER have a issue. Only when i go to wister do i encounter this BS.

in the off season... i am down to make a google map of wister. click the blind and it shows you where to park and where your blind is.

it will take about 10hrs of work to do i am guessing. we can make it a living map and update as things change.

I was banned permanently from wister so i need one of you regulars to help me build it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu