Blind markers at wister

@TeamRoper quit your bitchn and stop acting like an entitled a-hole. You got lost in the dark. Does it suck? Yes. Did you learn something? Yes. Now you know where to go and where not to go. Maybe next time confirm with the staff when you pick. Andrew is an awesome dude.

Also, just talked with David. You’re not banned so no need to trip out and act dramatic. He said he told you he didn’t like the way you were talking to him and he has the capability to ban you if needed. Let it go, and go hunt.

@TeamRoper I never once said that you were banned. The way you were acting towards me and the other staff members could potentially get you banned. Now as far as the signs go, myself and another CDFW employee put each and every sign in, cleared each hunt site that was over grown. There was an overwhelming amount of work that had to be done in a very short amount of time. Now as far as you coming to the check station and raising your voice in anger towards me about the "answers I was giving you that you didn't like!" It was a hunt day we are not allowed to interfere with other hunters out of respect. Now for next time I strongly advise you to ask for better directions. There is a new map with tons of changes, and yes signs have been moved and changes have been made to some of them. Again if you do not like hunting at Wister you are more than welcome to go somewhere else. But I encourage you to come back and please enjoy your stay. If there is a problem next time feel free to bring it up to a CDFW staff member but maybe not come in so hot headed.

I was at Wister today...Myself and Friends of Wister designed and put up most the reflective white signs you see out there...You can tell the new signage that has been added...Trust me, it takes a lot of time and effort to get them up.

THIS IS THE BEST WISTER HAS EVER LOOKED FOR PARKING LOT AND BLIND SITE DIRECTIONAL SIGNAGE...PERIOD!

Thank you, David, Lane, Andrew, Aurelio and any others that were involved

I agree it does look the best.
I hunted wister with my stepdad got my first mallard there.it holds a special place with me. Just sayin.

My history goes way back. I bet noones heard of Eugene king? But him and my stepdad did rehabilitation. Alot of birds were rehabed.It was called kings managerie.seems after that era of dfg, wister hasnt seen the activeness it once had, that really took care of salton sea.
Oh well times have changed.

From all I have heard, it sounds like Scott and his team have really busted their asses during the off season to improve Wister, thanks Wister crew

If a few signs missing are at the top of the list of what needs to be done, sounds like the refuge is in damn good shape

Reactions: D Sea and chessie
On another note whats this thing with we cant get a blind until 8 o clock. i never heard that before and was told that in the morning after everyone left?
I miss Raymond. He was the best staff member i ever met.
With that said. my experience there was ruined and i dont feel comfortable ever going back. Im too old for this.
I dont really care i got lost. I always hunted the sea except days it too windy.so i never got the layout and The issue of ppl hunting non hunt spots doesnt seem to be getting through.
This irritates me so bad i dont want to hunt anymore.

Last edited:
Not a year goes by that someone doesn't have a gripe about any refuge in this state. Some valid & some not. Its ok to bring up valid issues & discuss them with the staff, no matter if they're a seasonal aide or the refuge manager, or higher. But before you do with a hot head about it, you had better have a good understanding of the issue you're bringing up & put that into context of all that the CA DFW staff are required to do before losing your head over it. This crew has clearly done way more than those in previous years while still dealing with a lack of consistent resources to do their jobs. Resources that are getting more scares ever year. The problem is that we all have a different list of priorities that we feel they should be used on. That's life.

Roper, it sounds like you've had a rough year as you've already reflected on & admit it's fueling your anger. Maybe you should listen to yourself & take your losses into account before coming to such drastic conclusions about never hunting there or quitting hunting. Its fine if you decide those things but make sure they are for a better reason than the ones you've noted. None of those are new nor will they not happen again.

I was at Wister today also and I have hunted there since the 90s. Now I wasn't at the 514s(I have never hunted the 514s) but where I was and the drive to it there was signage EVERYWHERE. I think the crew is doing great so far.
Now as far as the A-Holes that recently hunted Y15B-2. Shells and a little trash everywhere. These shells were all over the place. How F-ing hard is it to bend over and pick this shit up?
I have never seen the amount of trash at the blinds as I have in the past few years.
Who the F#@K can't pick up a few spent shells.
This shit was never like this years ago so YES, I am blaming these new, entitled, millennial, duck dynasty want to be pieces of shit.
Pick up your trash!!!!!!!!
Off rant......

I was at Wister today also and I have hunted there since the 90s. Now I wasn't at the 514s(I have never hunted the 514s) but where I was and the drive to it there was signage EVERYWHERE. I think the crew is doing great so far.
Now as far as the A-Holes that recently hunted Y15B-2. Shells and a little trash everywhere. These shells were all over the place. How F-ing hard is it to bend over and pick this shit up?
I have never seen the amount of trash at the blinds as I have in the past few years.
Who the F#@K can't pick up a few spent shells.
This shit was never like this years ago so YES, I am blaming these new, entitled, millennial, duck dynasty want to be pieces of shit.
Pick up your trash!!!!!!!!
Off rant......
X2.. had the same experience a couple weeks back. We must've picked up 20+ hulls, water bottles, and they also left a couple old decoys and a dead duck. Lame.. pick up your shit.

Roper-It happens to all of us. We have all had bad days in the field. Gosh-I had some really bad ones!!! Its what we do next that that can define the moment. Best to shake it off and move forward.

Wister looks so good Kid may come back for a hunt? Apparently the crew really cares about the refuge, the work they did in the off season was just amazing-they really tried hard. I am very impressed and optimistic for the future of Wister.

The 8am thing was started by Rick a few years ago. Im not a fan either but its the rules so I follow along (Obviously).

The 8am time is just for changing blinds or walk ons that aren't there when they shut down the sweatline. Probably doesn't matter either way but I can see the logic of not having a party showing up across from you to set up during the first hour or 2 of shoot time.

Last edited:
The 8am time is just for changing blinds or walk ons that aren't there when they shut down the sweatline. Probably doesn't matter either way but I can see the logic of not having a party showing up across from you to set up during the first hour or 2 of shoot time.
BINGO!!!

Reactions: THE_NEW_GUY
I’ve been hunting Wister since 2006. The signs are the best they have ever been. If I’m not sure, I ask about parking before I leave the check station.

Maybe Wister needs the parking lot people with special flashlights like they have at Disneyland. And, a tram. We need a tram. (Sarcasm).

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu